Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:20 am

i feel like the back office and front office never see eye to eye, no matter what the environment is...carpe deez nuts

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 am

Kramerica wrote:I worked as a chef in an upscale restaurant and the kitchen staff got part of the tip share. There were also customers that would regularly tip the kitchen, though we just sent the money right to the bar for a round or two after our shift.

I never once saw a chef working in sweatpants and a hairnet. It was always chefwear pants, a jacket, and a skull cap or wrap.
My point was that dishwashers and cooks don't dress to be presented to the public. Servers, waitstaff and bartenders do. I only ever worked in bar/restaurant type places in high school and we wore our crappiest shirts, shorts and sweats, went outside to get high every hour or 2, and didn't get indignant when front of house staff didn't give us a part of their tips. Obviously, if you're a chef in a high-end place, expectations are different, and each place handles these issues differently. I just think it's a bad idea to EXPECT this type of compensation when you take a job as a dishwasher or frycook.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
mrkyuss
Art God

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:37 am

DOMS
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:24 am

dropdoctor wrote:A place near me has a sixer on the menu you can buy for the cooks!
Now that's a restaurant that's got it figured out! Lol
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
Jamilton
Art Expert

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Dealing with my second kidney stone.....apparently I'm doomed to do this at least a couple more times. I'm praying I can pass it without any medical intervention, as the thought of having a stint stuck in me is about the worst thing I can think of. Fingers crossed this flomax does the trick. Just got an x-ray this morning and I'll find out how big it is this afternoon......
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Sheesh, that's rough dude. Sorry to hear that.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
john38103
Art Expert

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:30 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:
dropdoctor wrote:A place near me has a sixer on the menu you can buy for the cooks!
Now that's a restaurant that's got it figured out! Lol
They do that at one of my favorite spots here in Chicago, Publican. The six for the kitchen is also more reasonably priced than most of their beers so it's a no brainer to throw it on the tab.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:03 pm

That's rad as fudge.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:45 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Kramerica wrote:I worked as a chef in an upscale restaurant and the kitchen staff got part of the tip share. There were also customers that would regularly tip the kitchen, though we just sent the money right to the bar for a round or two after our shift.

I never once saw a chef working in sweatpants and a hairnet. It was always chefwear pants, a jacket, and a skull cap or wrap.
My point was that dishwashers and cooks don't dress to be presented to the public. Servers, waitstaff and bartenders do. I only ever worked in bar/restaurant type places in high school and we wore our crappiest shirts, shorts and sweats, went outside to get high every hour or 2, and didn't get indignant when front of house staff didn't give us a part of their tips. Obviously, if you're a chef in a high-end place, expectations are different, and each place handles these issues differently. I just think it's a bad idea to EXPECT this type of compensation when you take a job as a dishwasher or frycook.
Most nicer restaurants the chefs don't get a smoke break until after the last order has gone out (Even when i worked in CO the chefs couldn't smoke pot at work). They have strict dress codes that must be adhered to and it's not unusual for a server to average 3x-4x more per hour than the chefs. When a server is making 4x more an hour (after tips) than a chef, they often get grumpy and like to complain about the tip situation. :P It's also extremely rare for the front of the house to tip out the back. This is, for whatever dumb reason, especially true in fine dining where the tips are substantially more.
So few places do this but it's so freaking awesome and appreciated when they do. I wish it was more widespread. I'd buy the kitchen a few beers just as surely as I'd tip my server. I've sometimes left cash and instructions with a server to buy the cooks a few beers but you never know if it actually gets to them.
Image Image
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:54 am

When I worked in a restaurant the cook told me the rules of restaurants .

The customer gets the food

The owner gets the money

the busboy gets the dishes

the waitress gets the tip

the cook gets the waitress

My peeve ......crap the 4 20 horde has come to town
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
fredo
Art God

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:22 am

Here ya go, Jorge!
just a foil for me today, thanks
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:49 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:
technique wrote:
RiotAct wrote:people who overuse "MURICA!!"
I always avoid all social media on July 4th because of this.
Not a bad idea. Because i drymountin hate that usage as well.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 am

Fourteen. That's how many screws I need to remove to access to my phone battery.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:31 am

Oof.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
thewerepuppygrr
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 am

I've worked my arse off all year, done all the overtime under the sun, and have done my job to the highest possible standard. At my pay review my boss thanked me for all the hard work, said I was a credit to the company, and that they couldn't work without me. She also gave me a tonne more work and less time to do it in.

All this would be perfectly fine - if she hadn't given me a pay rise of 1%. I'm not entirely sure what 1% of peanuts is but suffice it to say I'm job hunting again as soon as I get off work.