Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
dirkstainly
EB Team

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Well, Josh, I checked the Highway Administration research and it says to use the whole freeway. You are correct and I am not. It still seems counter-intuitive to me.

I would prefer to keep traffic flowing and if that's possible by the "zipper" the website describes happening farther back...one car pass, one car merge in, one car pass, etc. at freeway speeds, the whole traffic flow would be a lot smoother through the bottleneck.

Nice to know I can be one of the folks who zooms past in the lane that is ending and claim that its better for traffic utilization.

If you can't beat them, join them. Hopefully I won't run into people like me in the lane I'm merging into.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:05 pm

mattlew69 wrote:WTF causes all of them??? probably just one asshole in a hurry.
In my novice civil engineering opinion, left-lane exits and entrances (poor freeway design), early merging during high-traffic times, and people not letting other drivers change lanes.

You should never have to touch your brakes on the freeway. If someone wants to get into your lane s/he should put on his/her turn signal and you should ease off the gas to allow them space to enter your lane (without hitting your brakes). Besides this ease off, both cars should travel at the speed of traffic. But instead what happens is that the person trying to change lanes hits his/her brakes while attempting the lane change, often because no one will let him/her into the lane s/he desires to be in. This causes the merger's lane of traffic to slow down to wait for the merge to occur. After this slow-down occurs and the lane gets bunched up, someone behind the merger from the mergee lane wants to move over into the original merger's lane. Due to the bunch-up/slow-down caused by the original merger, the second merger has to slow down to match speed with the bunched-up lane causing a slow down behind him/her in the mergee lane.

And then fudge spirals out of control.
dirkstainly wrote:Hopefully I won't run into people like me in the lane I'm merging into.
You will. People think they're doing the right thing by merging early. It'll take a long time for attitudes to change. Hopefully it's being taught in driver's ed these days.

We'll all be better off when we just sit back and computers drive us around like in Minority Report.
dirkstainly
EB Team

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Either computerized cars, or...I know this is blasphemy to say here in Detroit...public transportation

Pardon me while I go get burned at the stake.
andruw000
Art Expert

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 pm

dirkstainly wrote:
MJBuck wrote: Nothing I hate more than people who ride the lane that is set to close and cut off everyone else.
We had the two left lanes of our major interstate closed for almost a year--went from four lanes to two. The traffic would back up for about four miles every day. I stayed in the far right lane and tried to avoid the clusterfuck caused by the assholes merging at the last second.

When I couldn't get over that far, I'd watch them stream by and found it interesting that some of them have the balls to get mad and honk at me when I wouldn't let them in.

I waited my turn. You wait yours. Oh, and go drymount yourself while you're at it.
AMEN.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:34 pm

jjbehren wrote:We'll all be better off when we just sit back and computers drive us around like in Minority Report.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
shootsright77
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Sitting down at my desk to eat lunch and, like clockwork, the front desk girl comes to my office to chat me up.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 pm

shootsright77 wrote:Sitting down at my desk to eat lunch and, like clockwork, the front desk girl comes to my office to chat me up.
You should see what I've got going on in my cubicle area right now.

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm

Sounds like she wants some dessert.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:56 pm

jjbehren wrote:
shootsright77 wrote:Sitting down at my desk to eat lunch and, like clockwork, the front desk girl comes to my office to chat me up.
You should see what I've got going on in my cubicle area right now.
Outside my office door is a room full of cubicles...the most annoying, loud, inane, faux-intelligent group of nerds and gigglers the world has ever known. It's drymounting Romper Room in there most of the day, every day, even through my office door. I can hear gum cracking THROUGH my giant wooden office door. But, if I close my door and play music, they look at me like I'm some kind of slacker, or like I'm plotting a serial killing or something. Right, you clowns act like 4 year olds all day and I'm the asshole.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
byc101
Art Expert

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm

She hot? She show a lot of cleavage? She talk dirty?
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm

tourist504 wrote:
cardhawks wrote:I hate that "act of god" excuse insurance companies like to give you when you try to make a claim on natural disaster damage.........
your god sucks my balls
Yes.

Katrina taught us all about that. We're now a city of insurance experts.
and SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Co-workers who think deodorant is optional. Because of them, I have no remorse farting in my chair all day long.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 pm

ColonelCash wrote:Co-workers who think deodorant is optional. Because of them, I have no remorse farting in my chair all day long.
Maybe that's why they stopped wearing deodorant, to cover up your stank. Chicken or the egg, dude!
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

jjbehren wrote:It's your fault for not being over in that lane too. In MN they've started to put up signs that tell people to not merge early and wait until the closure.
I work for our state's DOT and this is always an interesting conversation.

Regardless people that push it until the end and cause everyone to hit the brakes should be run off the road.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:36 pm

byc101 wrote:
She hot? She show a lot of cleavage? She talk dirty?
Is she weird? Is she white? Is she promised to the night?
Nothing brings humility like a good ol' shart."