Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:40 am

ccsmd598 wrote:When there's a lighthearted/funny moment during a serious movie, and a quick bit of audience laughter = permission for some to have a small chat for the next 30 seconds.

Some people feel the need for a tension relieving moment I reckon to decompress and remember there are always a few that don't get it and need that explanation during the reaction.

Reminds me how an escalator is always deathly quiet until one person cracks a joke or comment and everyone suddenly starts talking, not a peeve just a funny social observation...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
MedicinalGrade
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 pm

mfaith wrote:This asshat

3 outta 8 counts w/Benji as lead counsel. oof

Otisville bound
:clap:
MSN has temporarily removed commenting on our websites while we explore better ways to keep you shielded from the truth and firmly entrenched in your safe spot.
#meanpeoplesuckexceptBLM
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:10 am

Any seller who expects a buyer to pay for their frame up when buying a print.
Similarly, any seller who won't guarantee a buyer that the framed print they are selling is mounted in such a way that it can be quickly removed from all mounting without any issues resulting from removal.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Any seller who expects a buyer to pay for their frame up when buying a print.
A million percent this.

love it when people think it adds value.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Rick_a_c wrote: Similarly, any seller who won't guarantee a buyer that the framed print they are selling is mounted in such a way that it can be quickly removed from all mounting without any issues resulting from removal.
Pretty hard to guarantee if ya didn't frame it yerself or watch the framer mount it.

Protip: Don't buy framed art if you're super concerned about removing it from the frame and it not being #stonecoldmintyphresh
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
peacedog
Art Expert

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Peacedog's getting upset! :cussing:

This is very subjective. We have salvaged many a vintage poster that would have gone into the trash, framing absolutely added to the value. FD-140 and 141 come immediately to mind, junked prints we saved and sold to very happy collectors. We've sold many pieces off my gallery wall that clients said they would never have purchased until they saw how the framing complimented the piece and brought it to life for them. Lastly, we've framed many posters, as an old friend would say "would be worth 10's of dollars in the future", and made something of them. Whether the framing is to your liking or not may be of issue and therefore not add to the value, but if done right it can absolutely add to the value.
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:04 pm

You're giving way too much credit to the situation described
I donate anonymously.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:15 pm

you are also considered the pinnacle of framers.

im just commenting on the fact that people think that because the spent X of framing it means their print is now worth market cost plus X.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:08 pm

A couple follow up comments:

1= I rarely buy a print that goes on the wall quickly, so I'm really never looking to buy a print framed. The only times I've ever considered buying an already pre-framed print is if I have been chasing a ghost (i.e., none available for sale for a long time). I have occasionally purchased a framed print on the condition that it is taken out of the frame and is in mint condition, and is then shipped to me in a tube. But I understand that most sellers of framed prints don't agree to those types of conditions. For me, the price I have agreed to in such purchases is no more than the price I would have paid if the print had not been framed. Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I view this as not paying for the frame up. And the seller has probably only done this for me because the print has been for sale for a while with little or no interest generated.

2= I know I've never talked to a seller about buying a print framed by Further. That would likely be a completely different situation for me than in #1 above. That is, every frame up I've ever seen Further display is awesome. I have a few myself and love them all. That said, I would have to be seriously considering hanging the poster right away to even buy a Further framed poster (see # 1 above). The point here, however, is that I would view the framing as a legitimate component of the value of the item I'm purchasing, if it was framed in a way I felt great about looking at on my wall for many years, which I am confident would be the case with a Further frame up.

3= I hear you, Corey, about your framing resurrecting various horrid condition posters, and adding far more value than just the framing cost. I don't need to see any examples to believe you. And I know you're not the only awesome poster framer in the world, so I'm sure this is also true for many other top notch framers... even if my personal bias is that you're the best... which does happen to be my opinion on the matter.

4= In summary, despite all the caveats and exceptions, my overall feeling is that the cost of framing (generally speaking) is a sunk cost that a seller should not expect to recover. I know I wouldn't sell a framed print with that expectation, so that's probably why it bugs me when a seller goes on an on about the details of their frame up. Museum glass, wood filet, custom painted mats, hand scalloped frame, yadda yadda yadda. They're selling the freakin' frame up. I want to buy the print. Thus, it's a pet peeve. I'm not attacking any framer, especially a pro like Corey. I'm just looking to add art to my collection; not a frame made from a tree from an enchanted forest.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Youth sports parents who think their 4th grader is going Division I the following year.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:36 pm

And i thought i was a verbose posterkiller. Jesus christ Rick :hanging: tl;dr
So it goes...
fredo
Art God

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Good chat from both sides of the fence. And that actually applies to the hobby!
just a foil for me today, thanks
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 am

Yeah, the pawn stars guys are always whining that they have to get stuff framed and want to pay lower for an item - I think framing in some cases adds to the value. Especially a peacedog frame up. Haven't seen one of those I disagreed with.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

When my wife makes comments like, "don't buy anymore art." WTF are you talking about woman?

Sellers that don't understand relativity or scale of value. Just because an artist has a print that sells for $X on the aftermarket doesn't mean that every original they've created is going to be worth multiple times more than the most expensive print that has sold.
I'm not someone else.
tulip1637
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:When my wife makes comments like, "don't buy anymore art." WTF are you talking about woman?

you could have mitigated this issue if you had the mondos donate to you and your wife pre wedding #protip