Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 pm

One of those problems is not like the others, dude.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
shootsright77
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm

The sandals with socks to business meeting indicates high levels of inappropriateness
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

shootsright77 wrote:That and he's deaf.
H-m-m-m...I'm one of five children (all hearing) born to deaf adults. Not sure what you're trying to say here...this statement seems weird to me. Do you dislike the crippled, the blind? Or is it because they're just "different"?

My father was a college educated man. Very cool guy...bought us our first record player and Beatles records. He also bought albums for us -- narrated stories (classics) i.e. Alice in Wonderland, etc.
KNEEL13
EB Team

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 am

IWish wrote:
H-m-m-m...I'm one of five children (all hearing) born to deaf adults. Not sure what you're trying to say here...this statement seems weird to me. Do you dislike the crippled, the blind? Or is it because they're just "different"?

My father was a college educated man. Very cool guy...bought us our first record player and Beatles records. He also bought albums for us -- narrated stories (classics) i.e. Alice in Wonderland, etc.
I was confused by his statement too. :? I tend to ignore most babbling on these forums now, but I would be interested to see what he as to say.
shootsright77
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:28 pm

From drumming, he's hard of hearing from drumming.
shootsright77
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

He speaks incredibly loud and basically stands on top of me when he has a question.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm

shootsright77 wrote:He speaks incredibly loud
lol...I feel for ya'. I know what you mean. shootsright, you came here with a pet peeve...I shouldn't have said anything. It was just your *approach*...and a misunderstanding. I gotta' say...we NEVER got into trouble for playing those Beatles records too loud. :D
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 am

IWish wrote:

Is it true that people missing a sense have higher sensativity in the remaining ones? I've been meaning to write into Mythbusters about that one.
colflesh
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am

ColonelCash wrote:
IWish wrote:

Is it true that people missing a sense have higher sensativity in the remaining ones? I've been meaning to write into Mythbusters about that one.
I assume that there's a fair amount of research that has already been conducted to examine this. I did a quick google scholar search using neuroplasticity and deaf as key words and came up with quite a few papers, including a short review paper that looks at published research comparing deaf participants to normal participants.

Just a quick look through the paper shows that the results are mixed. In summary, there appears to be no difference between deaf and normal participants on sensory measures. Deaf and normal participants are about the same on attentional tasks that require attention to be focus in the center of the visual field. Deaf participants perform better than normal participants in tasks that require periphery attention.

Here's a link to the article if you're interested.
http://psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc371/pdf%20p ... 20copy.pdf
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am

ColonelCash wrote:Is it true that people missing a sense have higher sensativity in the remaining ones? I've been meaning to write into Mythbusters about that one.
Nothing I've ever observed, cc. H-m-m-m...on second thought maybe vibrations. I remember my mom telling me that, one time, she and my dad went to a dinner club with a group of deaf friends. Beverly Hills in No. Kentucky (since burned down). Anyway...Liberace was playing (snorting chuckle) and he noticed the group of deaf people. He invited them all up on the stage so they could put their hands on his piano for awhile while he played. My mom asked me to describe music to her one time...how do you describe something like music with words? Music was a big part of our lives...strange to say having deaf parents. Thanks, dad. :D

Edit to add: Let me tell ya'...it ain't all fun having deaf parents. My dad had a 1964 pink Cadillac (damn thing looked like a pink Bat mobile now that I think back). It was fancy...electric windows and all. He rolled the electric window up while I had my head sticking out of the window. He couldn't hear me yelling....could have KILLED me. :D :wink: I was in the back seat behind my mom and I kept slapping her really hard on the back of her head. lol...my dad freaked-out when he saw what happened.
meskell
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:29 am

Commercials that play at twice the volume of the program you're watching. Can't stand that!
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
SteveKai
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:14 am

Classic rock and 80's songs being butchered into House music remixes. It's a horrible injustice to the legends, and should be addressed immediately.
byc101
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:00 pm

SteveKai wrote:Classic rock and 80's songs being butchered into House music remixes. It's a horrible injustice to the legends, and should be addressed immediately.
Yes. I just a Pink Floyd remix. Blasphemy!
maden
Art Expert

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 pm

The term "poster buddy".
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 pm

maden wrote:The term "poster buddy".
Yeah, it sounds like two dudes double-upping on Yazoo in the alley back behind the Drafthouse.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.