Are You a Prepper Too?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
davemfan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 am

HR3 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Oh, and whoever said mountain house is the best, is right on. Only issue is their relatively shorter shelf life. But if u go camping, it’s perfect.
What? I have a bunch of mountain houses I have bought over the last two years. Just looked at a couple and the "best buy" date is 2048/2049. How long of a shelf life are you wanting or expecting?
ImageImageImage
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:29 pm

davemfan wrote:
HR3 wrote:
Oh, and whoever said mountain house is the best, is right on. Only issue is their relatively shorter shelf life. But if u go camping, it’s perfect.
What? I have a bunch of mountain houses I have bought over the last two years. Just looked at a couple and the "best buy" date is 2048/2049. How long of a shelf life are you wanting or expecting?
[/quote

Maybe they branched out from their traditional freeze dried foods. I’ve never seen or heard of it, but I’m not a preppier. I just have some food on hand as, well, I’m a survivor and a provider, not a taker.

Here’s the only fudge I’ve ever seen, seems to be a 5 yr shelf life, you can eat it in 2048, me? Hell nah brah...

Until you can welcome, accept and enjoy folks who’s views, looks, thoughts, struggles & values are polar opposites to yours, then you have NOT lived.
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:31 pm

davemfan wrote:
HR3 wrote:
Send some pics!! :2thumb:
Until you can welcome, accept and enjoy folks who’s views, looks, thoughts, struggles & values are polar opposites to yours, then you have NOT lived.
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm

My local Wally Mart has completely sold-out of hand sanitizer. Yeesh.
davemfan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:51 pm

HR3 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:31 pm
davemfan wrote:
HR3 wrote:
Send some pics!! :2thumb:
It's also right on their own site.

What is the shelf life of your foods?
Our meals in our Adventure Meal™ pouches, kits and cans all have a freeze-dried, emergency food industry-leading guaranteed shelf life and Taste Guarantee of 30 years from the date of manufacture. The only exceptions are our MCWs, novelty items, and Simple Sensations. MCWs have a 3-year shelf life from date of manufacture, novelty items like our ice cream have a 2-year shelf life, and Simple Sensations have a 30-month shelf life.

What happens after the shelf life has passed?
The food doesn’t “go bad” after the shelf life, but the quality will start to diminish. You may notice a slight change in flavor or texture, but we've eaten food from both our Adventure Meal™ pouches and Just in Case...® cans that were over 30 years old and were still tasty!

https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/faqs.html
ImageImageImage
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:25 am
As a boonies duke ya have to be somewhere on the prepper spectrum.
Lol. Not really. Not “intentionally” for preparedness, anyway. Also, I am not a truly boonies duke, just happened to live out here at the moment.

I do buy some fudge in bulk though. Like rice, for example, I buy in 10 kg bags (1 at a time, lol) and then buy another one once I run out. Currently, I have about half a bag left. I also have about 3/4 of a 5 kg bag of buckwheat (kids love that fudge). Another bulk grain I currently have is still a sealed 3-4 kg bag of steel cut oats (again, kids like it). Then there are some other random grains in small “regular” bags, grains that are not used quite as often. Oh, a couple kilos worth of quinoa as well, still sealed because I purchased it only last week. A few cans of tuna, a few of salmon, beans, etc. fudge like that. Nothing extraordinary, really. Stuff I would think most families of four have at any time in their kitchen (I would think everyone would because it is everyday stuff without having to head to the store every day and save a few bucks by buying sensible quantities). I don’t have any of that fudge that has an expiry date past my own.

However, because of my “hobbies”, I do currently own 5 firearms, all hunting, nothing for defensive purposes. Finally mounted the scope on the new rifle yesterday, both of which I bought back in the fall:

Of the five, one is a “semiauto” 12 ga SX3 (“long” shotgun), one is a “semiauto” .22 Ruger 10/22, and the rest are long rifles, including .243 X-Bolt, 7-08 BLR, and this new 30-06 Sako A7. So nothing that can be reliably used for home defence or anything; well, I can potentially “tap” them at quite a distance as they come, lol. Every rifle (except for a shotgun, of course) is mounted with good optics (for example, the scope on the photo above ran me about $3k, including the mounts). I got rid of some stuff recently due to the ambiguous “gun” reform we have coming up. I didn’t have anything extraordinary in the near past to begin with (a couple more shotguns, etc), but if we go the NZ route, even 2 or 3 of the firearms I own now may become prohibited, but highly unlikely in my opinion (though many tin type guys disagree).

Anyway, for each firearm I currently own, I probably have 100-150 rounds in the cabinet, probably way more for the .22. Not because I stack it up for an emergency, but because ammunition and good ammunition in particular is quite expensive in Canada and I usually buy it on sale. Some places I buy it from have free shipping on orders of $300+, so I buy 10-15 boxes at a time (usually, a box contains 20 cartridges) in order to avoid the shipping charge.

Because of this hobby, and that’s probably my biggest advantage for being “prepared” (unless the electrical grid goes down, but I don’t currently prescribe, lol), I have probably around 250 pounds of meat in my freezer. That would be a rough estimate. The bull elk I put down last fall (the only animal I shot last year) was just under 180 lbs of deboned, processed and packed red meat. Plus, I had some left from the previous season and got some moose meat from a buddy. So yeah, definitely over 200 pounds. All the animals I hunt, I process and pack myself, from the bush to the freezer, which is also an important skill in a “survival” situation.

Another advantage I have because of this hobby is that if fudge hits the fan, I can go and shoot another animal today if need be. I am fairly good at it and generally have a pretty good idea where to go and how to track one down. Doubt that in a situation where hunting tags and following regulations are not required it would take me more than a day or two to find a source of good meat, even in subzero temperatures that most folks find intolerable. I can also source fish in the same conditions if the need ever arises. I usually catch and freeze some fish as well, but haven’t done it last year.

I will also eat meat that many others won’t, like a bear, for instance, or a cougar. I haven’t tried the cougar, but black bear is probably one of the better meats out there, including beef. I hear the same about cougars. I don’t target any of these species in my hunting, but would if situation requires. Bunny snaring is also easy if you know what you are doing. Not much of a source for fat, but iron and protein content is probably sufficient and will keep you from being hungry.

In spring/summer, I can and do grow pretty much any vegetable I want (climate permitting) from seed. I don’t do that, but if necessary, I can grow and store enough potatoes to last me till next season. Same goes for onion, garlic (I do that with garlic now because it is better than garlic I can buy in a store and doesn’t require much space for storage; also, good garlic is drymounting expensive), etc. I buy most of the seed, but I can source it from what I grow for everything if needed and I do for some veggies currently.

This is as far as the food sources go. I mean this a short version, there is definitely more to it and more options out there, lol.

Before the kids came along, I was into outdoorsy activities, such as camping, backpacking, canoeing, rock climbing, etc. My wife joined me in most of them after we met, except for rock climbing. Our canoe stayed in Ontario, but all other equipment is with us. The quality of the equipment that I have can probably take my whole family to the Everest and back, short of boots, probably some clothing, and oxygen supply that is needed to get there. Physically, I am not prepared for Everest, lol, but surely have skills and ability to do quite bit more than an average person out in “the wild”. With spring on its way, we would easily last in the bush until October. If I knew how to make my own beer, and then how to make it from what’s available in the bush, I would be laughing. Luls.

What happens after October? Well, luckily, I have another hobby, lol. While in school, I worked some construction and renovation, worked on some pretty serious projects. I liked it so much that I still did it part time after school. I still run some projects in my free time and do all house repairs myself. I have a pretty good idea how to build a house from ground up. That includes a simple log house. And I am definitely more than capable of building a shack in the bush that can live a few people year round. Doubt I will ever need to utilize this set of skills though, lol.

This is how I look at the shelter situation. I mean life will suck, but one can absolutely survive and build shelter and provide for the family even in harsh winter conditions that we have here.

So to make it short, I don’t have and never had the mindset of a “prepper” and never really thought that I need to be prepared for some apocalypse type event, because who gives a fudge, really. I don’t have a generator, extra water supplies, etc. I did get myself ready for a 2-3 week survival in the bush while backpacking or canoeing in the northern Ontario and other parts of Canada with no phone around and whatnot because those were real situations I was interested to be in; I still am but the current life situation cannot allow for this luxury. I then learned to shoot and hunt when we moved to the boonies because this is something I like to do as an activity and I like the type of meat I can provide for myself that isn’t readily (or at all) available in the stores in this country. I also don’t remember the last time I bought beef.

To summarize, anyone can survive a couple of weeks with disrupted supplies of food and water. Without thinking twice about it, I am sure right now I have enough supplies to last a few weeks without leaving the house (it can be much longer if you take all the meat into account, but who wants to have that much meat in their diet over relatively short period of time). I will only have to make beer runs. Preparing for something beyond that by purchasing food and “semiautos” is not really a good idea, in my opinion. Long-term survival completely depends on one’s set of skills and abilities, not on how much fudge one has packed up in the basement.

There you go, a bit of a boonies duke perspective, lol.

I may head to a store today or tomorrow to get some frozen vegetables to throw in the freezer in case people decide to buy it all because of the Coronavirus updates. That’s about it, I think, for my preparedness for this situation.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Forgot to add that if I lived in a place like New Orleans, for example, my number one priority for being prepared would be to drymounting move, absolutely zero doubt in my mind. It’s not as hard as it seems.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Tl;dr. Prepper confirmed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 pm

Luls. Not really. But sure.

Went food shopping today. Picked up a couple of extra bags of frozen berries and frozen vegetables. Looks like I went for the wrong stuff because the section with instant noodles or whatever that stuff is called was more than half empty, lol. On the other hand, I never buy that fudge and usually don’t walk through there/pay attention, so maybe it’s a normal thing. Other “observations”:
- the bottled water section took a hit, not empty, but noticeably ran through, and will likely be gone within a couple of days if not restocked;
- rubbing alcohol is sold out in two stores I was at;
- hand sanitizer only left in giant bottles.
Everything else looked as it does usually.
tourist504
Art Expert

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:42 am

bubbie wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:31 pm
Forgot to add that if I lived in a place like New Orleans, for example, my number one priority for being prepared would be to drymounting move, absolutely zero doubt in my mind. It’s not as hard as it seems.
We bought on a clay ridge that is above sea level, so we are better positioned than most. The other people are my biggest concern.

That said, I'm not leaving until the city proper permafloods. Everywhere else is just Cleveland, man. I'm riding this train all the way to the soggy end. Figure we've got another 20 years or so of fun before shipping off for some bland midwestern suburb.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
NoseSpray
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:51 am

Codeblue wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:16 pm
Tl;dr. Prepper confirmed.
Thanks. I scrolled down enough to see the pic at the bottom of my screen. Then I scrolled more and saw an essay.
tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am

golobulus wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 pm
coronavirus is pretty scary
Yup
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
morecoffee
Art Expert

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:56 am

bubbie wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm
Codeblue wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:25 am
As a boonies duke ya have to be somewhere on the prepper spectrum.
Lol. Not really. Not “intentionally” for preparedness, anyway. Also, I am not a truly boonies duke, just happened to live out here at the moment.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

There you go, a bit of a boonies duke perspective, lol.

"""""""""""""""""""""""'blahblahblah....

WTF? How much free time do you have? How long did it take you to write out all of those words that I didn't read?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:15 pm

Soon ya will have just as much time as he does.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:27 pm

tourist504 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am
golobulus wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 pm
coronavirus is pretty scary
Yup
Not really.

people over-reacting is scary.
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.