Are You a Prepper Too?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
tourist504
Art Expert

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:21 pm
tourist504 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:25 pm
Yeah, not these people. They are talking about canned soup and beans. And probably crap like snack cakes and Doritos. I have a couple of 30-Day supply buckets w/ 30-year shelf lives, a month or so worth of canned food (we will eat this first), and some bulk rice and beans. I don't mention all this stuff to them, but I do encourage them to put together an emergency supply. The more prepared everyone is, the better off we will all be.
Are you talking one of those Jim Bakker Apocalypse food buckets????
LOL yeah kinda - just a big ol' bucket of freeze-dried, vacuum sealed, water-activated single-serving meals. There's a bunch of different brands, though. Mountain House is supposed to be the best but they are pretty expensive. I have Auguson Farms - not as tasty but much more affordable.

I consider it a backup to my backups - a last resort. But it keeps for decades and you won't starve to death as fast as everyone else, so there's that to look forward to.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:08 pm

That is crazy. Although, water is by far the most important resource. I’d make that ur #1.

Did you know u that if u go online to Costco or Walmart, Amazon etc. u can just order it and they’ll ship it for a couple bucks or if it’s ur first time, generally it’s free. I had Costco drop off a few cases of water last week, along with some food. U can try that vs going in periodically.
Until you can welcome, accept and enjoy folks who’s views, looks, thoughts, struggles & values are polar opposites to yours, then you have NOT lived.
tourist504
Art Expert

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:16 pm

HR3 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:08 pm
That is crazy. Although, water is by far the most important resource. I’d make that ur #1.

Did you know u that if u go online to Costco or Walmart, Amazon etc. u can just order it and they’ll ship it for a couple bucks or if it’s ur first time, generally it’s free. I had Costco drop off a few cases of water last week, along with some food. U can try that vs going in periodically.
Oh, it is. 1 gallon per person per day. I have enough stored fresh water for a month as well as several rain collection methods, a 55-gallon drum with purification supplies, lots of collapsible 5-gal containers and a 100 gallon Waterbob. I'm good.

And no, I was not aware that you could buy things from Walmart and Amazon. How does that work??
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
Imagex6
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Amazon fresh or something. You just sign into amazon and order food like u do anything else. Same with Walmart. Our local grocery stores do it in SoCal too. It’s amazing when ur sick as fudge and don’t wanna get outta bed.
Until you can welcome, accept and enjoy folks who’s views, looks, thoughts, struggles & values are polar opposites to yours, then you have NOT lived.
tourist504
Art Expert

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:23 pm

HR3 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:22 pm
Amazon fresh or something. You just sign into amazon and order food like u do anything else. Same with Walmart. Our local grocery stores do it in SoCal too. It’s amazing when ur sick as fudge and don’t wanna get outta bed.
:clap:
Imagex6
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Oh, and whoever said mountain house is the best, is right on. Only issue is their relatively shorter shelf life. But if u go camping, it’s perfect. Campers here in SoCal don’t eat them through as they don’t go camping, they go Glamping and ain’t traveling anywhere that’s gonna separate them from a few steaks and cooler full of beer. It’s hard to hate on that though, as that sounds fukkking delicious!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 am

So which brand is the best combo of shelf life, "taste", and price point?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:46 am

Going prepping, Blue?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:48 am

Just for earthquake purposes.

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:23 am

Oh yeah, for show.

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:25 am

As a boonies duke ya have to be somewhere on the prepper spectrum.
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:07 am

Codeblue wrote:
I went with a blend of both some mountain house and a couple Augusta farm pails personally. I think both are mentioned here. Best bang for ur buck. It’s two different styles. Mountain house are add water and u have a tasty meal individual pouches and the Augusta foods are pails of staples like rices and beans. More of the long haul stuff. The leg up is the buckets aren’t much more than what u would pay at Costco for a bag of said staples, but they come in vacuum sealed tubs which grant them their long shelf life.

But there is soo much out there. If I was a hardcore prepper and wanted super tasty food. The self cooking GI MRE’s are legit. Expensive as hell, but it’s a full on dinner. They also have companies like Wise that cater to a higher budget and have fruits and other things they sell in gallon pails.

It doesn’t need to be fancy though. If you just had a 50 Lb bag of rice from Costco, plenty of spices and a 25 pound bag of sugar, which can all be had for very cheap. That’s all u need.

It is crazy tho, our local Costco was sold out on some waters and low on others. The staple foods I mentioned were largely picked over. I can’t remember if it was the WHO or the CDC but they just doubled the possibility of a global pandemic to 40% this evening from what I read.

I saw the pope sweating like the Iran health official on the news as well. They claimed cold, but that guy is exposed to soo many people, I kinda feel like he’s got the virus. Poor guy.

Odds are U won’t ever need it and U’ll have another Miller lite truck feeding u beers, but who knows. During the LA riots and Katrina, the police were told to stand down until the unrest settled due to them being greatly outnumbered and the risk of life was too high due to violence and looting. Soo, u just never know what might happen. I’ve got kids and it’s peace of mind knowing I can provide regardless what may happen at a moments notice.

Odds are I’d pack them up depending and get the F out of dodge, but if nothing is open selling food or is looted, what would we eat? Simple. Just throw the pails in the car or truck and roll. No need to make any stops except for gas on the way out.

Call me silly, but I keep 2 extra bags of dog food on hand for my pups as well, just cuz, well, they’re family too.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:09 am

Codeblue wrote:
luls
fredo
Art God

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:23 am

A) Stop prepping.
Codeblue wrote:
B) For breakfast- ArmagedOs
just a foil for me today, thanks
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:51 am

fredo wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:23 am
A) Stop prepping.
Codeblue wrote:
B) For breakfast- ArmagedOs
Hahaa... my neighbors version of “prepping” is his 5 pounds of weed “vacuum sealed he keeps in the freezer. He claims it’s his ticket to food, water, currency and Luls during a crisis.

Do I disagree? Hell no. I’ll be sure we end up in armagaeddon together. As, that fudge ain’t gonna smoke itself sonnn...

Oh, and he’s got some frozen bags of homemade caramels he makes from honey oil. Damn they’re good...