Are You a Prepper Too?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 am

Hopefully ya'll are prepping for retirement better than yer prepping for Armageddon.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:48 am

IWish wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:56 pm
Right. That's why it's beneficial for children - mentioned in the article.
When the adults die, do you think the children will remember about the iodine? Eventually, they will forget. They say the most important thing you can do is stay inside... take a shower (no power, no water). Eventually, you'll run out of food and water... then what? Go outside, fresh (or stale, doesn't really matter) radioactive fallout. Oh look, berries! I'm thirsty, there's a small stream. Without adult's (and by today's standard) even with adults. You can't just wish radiation away.

If you're not in a facility, that has working filtration systems, a power source, a stockpile of food/water/medical supplies, and resources to check on outside conditions (drones w/sensors)... you will not survive very long. Minute particles of radioactive dust will be carried by our weather systems all around the globe. Without humans to make adjustments to many nuclear power plants around the globe, how long will it be before they meltdown? Imagine within a short time, you'll have at least one Chernobyl event on a monthly basis. Depressing? You bet. Want to get really down? Check and see how close you are to a nuclear plant. See how large it is. Got a destination in mind to escape to? See where the nuclear plants are in that area.

Who will survive the longest? Sailors in nuclear powered submarines, but even they will have to come to get food eventually. Those lucky enough to get to hardened, well supplied, and powered facilities. Anyone else, left on the surface of the planet... toast, literally, or eventually.

Now, if some nukes happen to miss their targets, or because some genius on the "other side" decided to send a nuke into the ocean, imagine the tidal wave. Not to mention, if you are anywhere nearby in the ocean, even in a sub, the water displacement would send you rapidly through the water faster than a crap through a kid's ass with industrial strength diarrhea. First one way, then the other, rapid change of depth. Who knows that stress that could put on the sub and the people inside. Now, if they decided to send missile off the coast of Florida, well, "God's Waiting Room" would be emptied out quickly. Long Island, Manhattan, gone.

Natural events like lightning, starting fires, that no one is around to stop or slow down. You think California looks bad during the fire season, imagine it just growing bigger and not stopping.

Bottom line, if nukes fly, kiss your collective butts good-bye.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:53 am

I almost forgot, EMPs would make airplanes drop out of the sky like confetti. Ever look at how many planes are taking off or landing at your local airport? Talk about "the sky is falling". That may start a few fires here and there. They can't fly forever, and no one is directing the traffic up there if they could glide in for a landing.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:08 am

Definitely wouldn't want to be a skyscraper. Stuck in an elevator... electronic keys don't work... take the stairs! Yeah, people won't crowd up and push or shove. Everyone will be polite, and calm. Think of all your worst nightmare disaster movies, now times that by 10, no 20, no 50, just for your country. Now spread that around the world, adjusting the multiplication by population/size of the countries.

Prepping and surviving without nukes is going to be tough. If we have a civil war, could another country take advantage of the situation... maybe. Could "we" retaliate... maybe. Would things get out of hand quickly... yep. Is there anyway to stop the chaos before that... very doubtful.

Societies around the world are already going nuts. Ever see the movie, Falling Down? "William Foster" was the main character. Fun movie. Pertains to the current climate and how everyone is two serious events from loosing it. You lose your job, a loved one, divorce/death... and someone cuts you off in traffic, and that starts another ball rolling.

That's it, I'm out... spent a lot of time on the pistol range today. Stay safe and keep on preppin' on. :D
fredo
Art God

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:32 am

Put the guns down, step away from the MREs, and get active in your communiries. STAT.

I.e. pull it together, subjects...for your sovereign commands it.

just a foil for me today, thanks
tourist504
Art Expert

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:59 am

A few of us were having this conversation the other day.

What those of us who do this are preparing for is a matter of degree. On the low end of the spectrum is a power outage that lasts for three days and that’s it. On the high end is full-on nuclear winter, asteroid strike, and general world-ending events.

You can’t prepare for the high end of the spectrum – not in any meaningful, long-term way, anyway. I feel prepared for everything on that low end and well into the middle. Beyond that, this would have to be more than the low-key, part-time hobby it is; and even then there are some things you simply cannot prepare for. You just kind of have to accept that. Or go off the deep end.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:04 pm

That's why I'm a low key prepper. Short duration. ELEs... forget about it.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am

tourist504 wrote: I knew it! We got some preppers in this bitch.
Codeblue wrote: Hopefully ya'll are prepping for retirement better than yer prepping for Armageddon.

Thread delivers!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:20 am

ONEYE wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:04 pm
That's why I'm a low key prepper. Short duration. ELEs... forget about it.
Give me $20M and I could probably survive an ELE provided the cause of the ELE didn't land directly on top of where I planned on surviving.

Start with something like this:

https://www.insidehook.com/article/arch ... -3-million
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 pm

ONEYE wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 pm
I prefer a filtering method for water.

Edit - If there were nukes fired, we're doomed. You don't want to live longer just to die a horrible death. Nukes fly, there won't be just one. There will also be malfunctions. They may not land were intended, any number of things can go wrong. There are nukes going off, you start getting sick and show signs of radiation poisoning, do what I do, take yourself out. You can't smell, or taste it. Gets in the air, water supply, won't matter. However, your choice.
A couple years back some site had Life Straws on sale so I bought about a dozen. I ain't sharing
I'm not someone else.
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:04 pm

If fudge really hit the fan, I'd head to the biosphere - a thirty minute drive from me.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm

^^ :lol: :lol: :rolling: :rolling:

You could hang with Pauly Shore

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
tourist504
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:50 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 pm
ONEYE wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 pm
I prefer a filtering method for water.

Edit - If there were nukes fired, we're doomed. You don't want to live longer just to die a horrible death. Nukes fly, there won't be just one. There will also be malfunctions. They may not land were intended, any number of things can go wrong. There are nukes going off, you start getting sick and show signs of radiation poisoning, do what I do, take yourself out. You can't smell, or taste it. Gets in the air, water supply, won't matter. However, your choice.
A couple years back some site had Life Straws on sale so I bought about a dozen. I ain't sharing
You got to get that Sawyer, tho. 100,000 gallons each, small profile, a little more flexible, and filters slightly better. I think they run about $30-$35 for a two-pack.

But yes, I also have a bunch of Lifestraws...
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
Imagex6
tourist504
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Good Ideas for “Prep Tax”

Being prepared is not expensive; in fact it is both practical and wise to have some extra supplies around the house, particularly those that do not spoil and that you know you will still use eventually anyway. A good rule is add one or two extra items to your cart every time you go shopping. That way you don’t “feel” the expense quite as much. Before you know it you will have a respectable store of goods and supplies if an emergency ever arises. And don’t worry about having too much – items can always be donated, bartered, or traded for other items you may need. After all, supplies, not money, will make you the richest house on the block in the right situation.

A smart way to keep your stores up-to-date is to spend an extra $5-$10, which I call the “Prep-Tax,” each time you visit the grocery and set those items aside. Variety is key, so try not to buy too much of the same item. If you find you have too much of something, simply use it, or better yet, donate it to a canned food drive or charity. It takes very little effort to ensure nothing is wasted.

Another good practice to write on the cans or packages when you acquired the item. That, combined with a data sheet of how long canned items keep (posted near where you keep your stores), will help you to rotate your stock so nothing spoils and everything gets used.

Here is a list of ideas for extra items you can add for very little money to build up your stores:

canned goods such as fruit, vegetables, meat
canned/sealed ready-to-eat meals
batteries (AA, AAA, D)
dry white rice
dried beans
peanut butter
dehydrated milk
crackers
coffee (beans, freeze-dried, or instant)
basic medicines/ointments/first aid
-ibuprofen
-acetaminophen
-loperamide
-pseudophedrine (Sudafed)
-diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
-meclizine (Dramamine)
-ranitidine (zantac)
-hydrocortisone cream
-clotrimazole (gyne-lotrimin)
feminine hygiene products
toiletries (cheap is fine)
ramen/bulk pasta
bottled or bulk water
anything you may be able to use that has a long shelf life
Imagex6
fredo
Art God

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 pm

An ELE calls for denim.
just a foil for me today, thanks