Are You a Prepper Too?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:38 pm

There’s definitely a stigma to being a “prepper” similar to that of being a “flat-earther” (not that they are the same), but I suspect there are a few of you in the same cautiously paranoid boat as me.

A few weeks ago a buddy got me a book on survival which I read, and since then I’ve become a part-time, low-key, hobby-style prepper, I guess. I’ve built up a nice little stash of supplies, nonperishable food, water, gear, and ammunition sufficient to shelter in place for a considerable amount of time without power, plumbing, or aid. I’m learning some basic skills, too. I’ve started putting together bugout bags for me and the family as well as some basic supplies in both my wife’s and my vehicles in case we need to hit the road, by car or on foot. I’ve begin getting my wife involved in planning, subtley at first so as not to come across as a crackpot. My rationale is that it’s a pretty practical hobby to have, and nothing I am buying or learning will go unused in the long-term. We’re currently planning a camping trip so we can learn a few basic off-the-grid skills and make sure our kid knows them, too. Dude’s never even slept in a tent.

I’ve even built a faraday cage in case of a rogue solar storm or EMP attack. Was that too far?

We live in a hurricane- and flood-prone area (New Orleans), so being fully-prepared for a long-term shelter-in-place situation is pretty indespensible. If the need ever arises where we would have to stay put, we are good. I’m more concerned about having to leave. There could be a situation in which there will be a lot of desperate people to contend with.

Prepping is a more easily defensible hobby to me than poster collecting, and extremely inexpensive (I did splurge on the hiking boots). It’s even a little fun in a depressing sort of way.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Survival skills are never a bad thing to have. Faraday cage may be a bit much.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:51 pm

See if C.E.R.T. training is available in your area. That's what I did after 9/11. It's free.

CERT = Community Emergency Response Training.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 pm

tourist504 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:38 pm
so as not to come across as a crackpot.
too late
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Low key. "Never go full prepper."
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:35 pm

I watch Alone. Does dat count?

P.S. Dis season is the best one yet.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:39 pm

I’d prolly do the same if I lived in nawlins.

Only thing I’d caution against is raising paranoid kids. Not sure how old yours is/are but sounds like you’re already descending down the slippery anxiety slope. Made even more slippery these days with the constant threat of weather, shootings, and overall divisiveness of the country.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:58 pm

ONEYE wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:35 pm
Low key. "Never go full prepper."
Yeah, full prepper includes the conspiracy theory / anti-government batshit crazy element.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
fredo
Art God

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:09 am

Ps it's like the old bumper sticker said- you cant simultaneously dress for sane and prep for crazy
just a foil for me today, thanks
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 am

I often think about prepper stuff, but never have gotten to the point where I've actually started buying stuff and building bug-out bags, etc.

But I have been stressing to my kids (both in HS and getting ready for college) that they should think seriously about where they want to settle after college and they should look at climate-safe cities. I really do believe that the coasts are going to be in trouble in 15-20 years and that they'd be better served by already being somewhere with secure water supplies and flood resistant, etc.

We live in New England on the coast and I spent years in DC and NYC . . . places I always wanted to live after college. But doing so now (beside the financial waste) seems like a huge risk. Not a place that I'd want them to settle down for the next 20 years.

Add me to the crackpot pile, luls!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am

I hope to end up in Asheville in the next 10 years or so. Something bad happens and you head to the mountains.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:50 am

Dat musta been Nucky's plan all along. He thinks Idaho is gonna be beach front property in 20 years. #playingtehlonggame
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:50 am
Dat musta been Nucky's plan all along. He thinks Idaho is gonna be beach front property in 20 years. #playingtehlonggame
Pretty sure my house will be in beachfront or underwater in 30-50 years.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:59 pm

I try to plan contingency plans in case something like all communications go down, or similar possibilities, where at least our immediate family knows what to do or where to meet but I'm always met with laughter.

If you want good info to have with you as a prepper I highly suggest the ACE Pocket Reference. It has just about all the info you need for any practical application.

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Reference ... B009YO319K
I'm not someone else.
tourist504
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:59 pm
I try to plan contingency plans in case something like all communications go down, or similar possibilities, where at least our immediate family knows what to do or where to meet but I'm always met with laughter.

If you want good info to have with you as a prepper I highly suggest the ACE Pocket Reference. It has just about all the info you need for any practical application.

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Reference ... B009YO319K
I already have one and love it. Maybe I'll grab another for the car or BOB...
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6