VR Gaming

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
tourist504
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:31 pm

I grabbed a Playstation VR a little over a year ago and man, it has completely changed my gaming. I was never a big gamer to begin with, but this is an entirely different experience. I play almost every day now.

My go-to is Beat Saber as I am a type 2 diabetic and playing for 30 minutes drops my blood sugar level significantly. I generally play about an hour a night. I’m on Expert Plus level now, and I’m even ranked in the online leaderboards. It’s a freaking blast.

I ended up buying a setup for my parents who are in their ‘60s’ and they also play several times a week – Beat Saber for my Mom and Everybody’s Golf for my Dad. We also play a ton at just about every visit. It’s become a family bonding thing.

This stuff really is the future of gaming. I’ve been eyeing the Oculus Quest as you don’t need any outside peripherals (apart from your phone) to play – no TV, no camera, no game system, no computer, and no wires. That is just incredible to me.

Anyone else on the VR hype trolley?
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:54 pm

We'll see. I caved and bought a quest. Going to pick it up from best buy in about an hour. My only experience with VR has been the void in las vegas so I'm prepared for a pretty big letdown from that but it could still be cool.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
guryter
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 am

I picked up the new Rift S....thought about the quest but decided to go PC powered since the library already exists. Quest should be great too though, just didn't want both.

Been playing I expect you to die, secret agent kinda game, short but fun. Check out Viveport Infinity, subscription based service with a huge catalog of games. Not all games included in the sub (like beat saber) but still cool to dip your feet into a bunch of different titles without buying a game straight up.

Similar game to beat saber (which I haven't played yet) is Audica....played it and loved it.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm

I spent 45 mins with the into tutorial last night and was suitably impressed. One thing I didn't know until a few days ago, and I believe this applies to Rift as well as Quest, you can return any game within 14 days if you have played it less than 2 hours. That will certainly increase the likelihood of me just trying things out. Highest on my priority list are beat saber, vader immortal, and robo recall but I also want to check out I expect you to die.
tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Played "Trover Saves the Universe" last night for 3 hours. Wow - super fun. It's a lot like Astrobot Rescue Mission (which is AMAZING, btw) but it was written by Juston Roiland of Rick & Morty fame. Absolute blast. Highly recommended!
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
Imagex6
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't think I could play anything in VR 3 hours a day just due to comfort and eye strain. But I have been playing about 30 mins of beat saber a day. Will buy Vader this weekend.

So far the only real negative I have to talk about is lack of true full length games. most things seem more like tech demos than actual games. Also, not sure it effects me directly but there seems to be some backlash developing over the way oculus is "curating" their store and rejecting a bunch of indie games. I don't think that will be as big a deal once there's more content out there but for now it seems strange that they don't want as much as possible in the store.
tourist504
Art Expert

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:26 pm

Beat Saber Imagine Dragons song pack is kinda drymounting awesome. I was pretty bummed at the choice of artist, but they did a great job on the charts and new level designs.

As for more full-length games - Blood and Truth is a strong contender for keystone of the PSVR. An absolute blast, and hopefully indicative of what is to come. Exciting times!
Imagex6