What do you want from the new Expresso Beans?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 am

Hello all!

Hopefully you're all enjoying the site running a bit better now we've moved to the new servers and fixed a lot of the bugs that were driving us all nuts!

We're soon to be starting on the upgrade of the phpBB forum software to the latest version. That should bring the forums more up to date and accessible with modern devices. Which'll be nice! :lol:

Once we're done with that we will be starting to prioritise all our ideal features and functions that we'd like to have on the site. If any of you have any ideas please feel free to comment asand if we deem them worthy we'll add them to the list. If they're contentious we may open up discussions to thrash the ideas out. (I know MFaith had a list on the go but he's not here and I want to canvas everyone opinion again.)

Please remember that we're a volunteer team so things aren't going to happen instantly. We'll probably prioritise the easier changes and then have long term goals that we're working on. If more volunteers come forward we hope to be able to allocate out tasks to various team members to speed things up. We will also endeavour to keep members updated about the roadmap for changes as best we can.

I'll keep this initial post updated with peoples ideas.

Feature requests:

(This is a collated list of people's requestd NOT a list of planned changes.)
  • Ability to search artwork by size
  • Ability to export collection to .csv or .xls
  • Ability to see a list of people that own a particular print if collection public? (Good idea? Bad idea?)
  • URLs open in separate tab/window.
  • Average collection value with ability to select variables. 1 month, 6 month, all time?
  • Newest iso's link. Similar to newest trades.
  • Individual artist areas/threads where the artist has the ability to moderate discussion independently.
  • Matchmaker on individual art pages showing what people are looking to trade for that you have in your trades.
  • ability to sort collection/wanted/trades by Series, First Added, and Last Added
  • give all members access to see the pending new art queue. would majorly cut down on duplicate submissions which is a win-win for members and volunteers
  • simplify the Add Art experience. Remove pretty much all detailed instructions and make those a "+" or "?" that members can click on for help. Also have artists/bands/manufacturer auto-fill as you start typing. Visual mockup-

current Add Art page as a comparison
  • add filter dropdowns for year/class/ect. Filters are already there on the left page but go unnoticed. Dropdowns would be more visible and easier to use. Something like this-

• ability to "bulk load" collection from csv or xls(x) file.
  • The ability contributing on a semi-anonymous basis would make me more likely to report.
  • Improved feedback system. As a buyer, relying on a seller has been disheartening.
  • Ability to 'like' a post.
  • Fix art database search system.
thefool
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:54 am

It would be sweet to search by print size. Sometimes I have a random sized frame that I'd like to fill and would be great to see what's out there.
squalie
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:13 am

I'd love to see an export collection to .csv or .xls with print details and sales history averages.
haven
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am

I've always wanted to be able to see a list of the people that have a certain print in their collection, assuming they have their collections set to public.
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:32 am

haven wrote:I've always wanted to be able to see a list of the people that have a certain print in their collection, assuming they have their collections set to public.
Hmm.. Might lead to more people leaving their collection private. It also might lead to people getting bombarded with offers to sell a print they don't intend to trade.

Definitely deserves more thought.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:38 am

Mentioned in the "Needs Fixing" thread, but I'll say it here again

Links open in a new tab
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:48 am

HisBobness wrote:Mentioned in the "Needs Fixing" thread, but I'll say it here again

Links open in a new tab
Thanks! Thats already on the list for doing after we've upgraded the forum software but doesn't hurt to mention again.
veltri
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:56 am

A way to search a thread for a specific member's comments. Currently it can only be done if their post is quoted or with a long workaround.

And a minor but fun one, choose your own title before 50k posts.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:52 pm

veltri wrote:A way to search a thread for a specific member's comments. Currently it can only be done if their post is quoted or with a long workaround.
This is a phpBB thing so unlikely to be changed. You can use the advanced search at the top right then search for all posts by a particular author within a forum. Would whittle it down a bit.

veltri wrote:And a minor but fun one, choose your own title before 50k posts.
Again a phpBB thing. There used to be a mod for custom user titles but I can't see one for more modern versions of the software. Its definitely something we can consider although it does run the risk of people abusing it. Can you imagine what titles some of these guys would give themselves? :lol:
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Anyway to see collection value (averaged or whatever) on the exported csv?
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks inkling - just awesome how well you guys have done since this effort re-started. Tremendous.

Currently, under the Art Lists section of the home page, there is a "Newest Trades" link which shows all the print folks have recently put up for sale or trade. I've always wanted a "Newest ISOs" link so that you can see at a glance all the most recent ISOs that have been posted. Would just make it so much easier to quickly see if you have anything that matches with someone's most recent ISO.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
veltri
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:13 pm

1nkling wrote:
This is a phpBB thing so unlikely to be changed
1nkling wrote:Again a phpBB thing.
Well same to you! :wink:

strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 pm

I would like to see an artist thread that an artist has control over. Just a single discussion thread, not talking about carte Blanche or anything over the whole site

Say, Tyler Stout wants to talk about his process or post some pics of things in the pipeworks. Would be nice if an artist could feel like they have the safety to come here and experience an “oof” free zone where they could delete negative comments or parts of their thread or block a member from their artist thread totally if they chose to. Essentially all the things one can do on Instagram but under the auspices of forum board that the community can more easily be involved in.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:25 pm

i would love to see a matchmaker type feature on each print page. so if i am looking for a certain print i can click on it, press a button and see if there is any potential trades. way easier than going through 10+pages on the main matchmaker or looking at each individual members with said print in their trades and trying to find a match that way
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 pm

talkingdeads wrote:I would like to see an artist thread that an artist has control over. Just a single discussion thread, not talking about carte Blanche or anything over the whole site

Say, Tyler Stout wants to talk about his process or post some pics of things in the pipeworks. Would be nice if an artist could feel like they have the safety to come here and experience an “oof” free zone where they could delete negative comments or parts of their thread or block a member from their artist thread totally if they chose to. Essentially all the things one can do on Instagram but under the auspices of forum board that the community can more easily be involved in.
Luls. It's basically existed for a long time now, is called the Artist's Nook, and none of em use it. Yer boy Stout is in cahoots with an EB competitor it looks like anyway.
Last edited by Codeblue on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.