What do you want from the new Expresso Beans?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Elevationframing
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:59 pm

I would like to see old inactive profiles be deleted or removed after so many years without activity. It's frustrating seeing old for sale prints that are void, or go without response. I would also like to see it become easier to add art to the site.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm

Elevationframing wrote:
I would like to see old inactive profiles be deleted or removed after so many years without activity. It's frustrating seeing old for sale prints that are void, or go without response.
agreed, this is definitely something that we can look into. maybe add a column that indicates user was last active in the last 6 months and don't even display entries for users that have been inactive for over 2 years.
Elevationframing wrote:
I would also like to see it become easier to add art to the site.
we've totally revamped the the add art form. can you be more specific about your frustrations with it? totally understand it's not currently mobile friendly but other than that please elaborate.
Elevationframing
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:43 pm

I think your idea indicating the last active date for users is excellent! I apologize, I should have been more specific on the add art function. I think part of my frustration is the timing it takes for approval and adding to the site. I have a couple of pending pieces in que now. I'd also like a simpler format for editing existing art listings. I've seen several variants with incorrect pictures or info and some pieces with poor quality pictures. It would be nice to make it easier to edit or submit revisions. Thank you!!!
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Elevationframing wrote:
I think your idea indicating the last active date for users is excellent! I apologize, I should have been more specific on the add art function. I think part of my frustration is the timing it takes for approval and adding to the site. I have a couple of pending pieces in que now. I'd also like a simpler format for editing existing art listings. I've seen several variants with incorrect pictures or info and some pieces with poor quality pictures. It would be nice to make it easier to edit or submit revisions. Thank you!!!
unfortunately the site is run by volunteers and there are literality hundreds of entries in the queue that need to be looked up and referenced for correctness. just takes a little time to get through the list sometimes. if you feel like it's been a while just post a note in the art forum and someone will usually try to get back to you regarding it.

for anything you find incorrect there is a thread you can post on which is addressed fairly regularly to fix and errors found on the site. if you find anything wrong please post on there. if you have better images or correct images of variants please upload them using the upload image function available to all members and post a note on the correction thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=177477&start=2895

we don't have a way for anyone to request edits outside of the thread for now. totally agree it would be nice to be able to just use the edit art/printing form used by the team and submit an edit like you do a new entry. definitely something we can keep in mind as we work on fixing the site.

thanks for the feedback.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 pm

papaver wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm
Elevationframing wrote:
I would like to see old inactive profiles be deleted or removed after so many years without activity. It's frustrating seeing old for sale prints that are void, or go without response.
agreed, this is definitely something that we can look into. maybe add a column that indicates user was last active in the last 6 months and don't even display entries for users that have been inactive for over 2 years.
I’ve also run into this issue a lot lately. I think removing or hiding very old/inactive profiles/trades would be super helpful.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 am

Elevationframing wrote:
I think your idea indicating the last active date for users is excellent!
Bryman wrote:
I’ve also run into this issue a lot lately. I think removing or hiding very old/inactive profiles/trades would be super helpful.
looked into this. i can confirm we are actively marking users inactive after 365 days of inactivity. so all the entries showing up for sales and trades and wanted are all filtered on this.
ifonly216
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:15 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (im sure it has at some point) but how possible would it be to add a market place such as Discogs? Then the site would fund itself from sales. Just a thought, if it's been addressed i apologize.
" time wounds all the heals"
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:48 am

ifonly216 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:15 am
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (im sure it has at some point) but how possible would it be to add a market place such as Discogs? Then the site would fund itself from sales. Just a thought, if it's been addressed i apologize.
in the moment i don't think that is feasible, would require full time staff, and currently the site is run completely on volunteer hours. but yeah sounds awesome.
bert
Art Expert

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:08 am

papaver wrote:
Elevationframing wrote:
Bryman wrote:
looked into this. i can confirm we are actively marking users inactive after 365 days of inactivity. so all the entries showing up for sales and trades and wanted are all filtered on this.
That sounds good - so when this is implemented, if a user has been inactive for >365 days, their listings won't show up under the FS/FT or Wanted tab for a print? That would be nice.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:22 am

bert wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:08 am
papaver wrote:
Elevationframing wrote:
Bryman wrote:
That sounds good - so when this is implemented, if a user has been inactive for >365 days, their listings won't show up under the FS/FT or Wanted tab for a print? That would be nice.
^ this please.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:43 pm

it's already implemented. you should currently only see listings for users who have been active in the last 365 days.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:24 pm

That’s weird. I just double checked one print/member who’s print is listed in my Trade Alerts, but when I search his user name his most recent post was from 2017. I suppose he could still be active with private messages, but if the implementation is supposed to work for publicly active members than it’s either not working or I’m doing something wrong(which is very possible).
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:29 pm

"Active" has nothing to do with the forum or messages I'm assuming. Many members just use the main site and not the forums.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Ah ok, thanks. I guess I just assume “Active” is also related to the forum since the private messaging system used to contact sellers is associated with the forum site. I usually try to get a handle on whether someone is actually active and reachable by checking to see if they regularly or recently contributed to a thread somewhere. Seems to be a pretty accurate gauge so far. Maybe a “Last Active” line just below the “Joined” line with a date in the Member Information box on the main site would be a useful addition?
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:46 pm

as like codeblue said "active" here means just logged in the site. users can see they have messages on the top right of the site when logged in. but i imagine most users stick to the site and not the forums. the forum and site are totally separate sites but we are able to get some info form the forum onto the main site, though its not simple. i was thinking about the "last active" as well but i wouldn't want to just implement something like that without understand in the privacy implications. not everyone may want this information about them known.

but i agree some sort of metric would be nice. maybe we can auto score people on replies or something. i've seen that before on sites.