Visiting California - suggestions ?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 am

Hi Ebnears

I am planning to visit California in September 2019 (full month) with my best friend. First time in the USA for both of us. We have already decided to rent a van for a week and make a tour (don’t know yet the itinerary).
But aside from that, we are looking to do things not written down in guides. As living in touristic city (Paris), I see only rarely tourists in my favourite places / areas of my city - that I consider to be the “real” Paris for me.
We are not big fan of moving every day in a new places, not willing to visit everything at any price. We have more the intent to rent a flat/house for 4-6 days and live there and do things that people from here are used to do when they want to enjoy during their week-ends for example. I really would like to stay a week in LA and SF. We would like to know your suggestions of good underrated things to do. We like things such as concert, beer, wine, surf, skate, hiking, wildlife, beach, modern art, festival, cinema, meet new people, chill, watch sunsets (and pretty girls – only me, she is a girl), curious to discover local traditions / food…and many other things we forgot we like right now !
I have to admit that my request is a bit blurry but whatever comes to your mind, do not hesitate to share with us !

(Gallery 1988 is on my list!)

Thanks for your support guys !
Cheers
Guilhem and Marion
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am

Pick SF over LA. Visit Monterey.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
turnJBup
Art Expert

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Check Pollstar.
Skip LA.
No life east of I-5.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Drive north and spend time in the redwoods. Skip the cities
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Yosemite
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:47 am

turnJBup wrote:Check Pollstar.
Skip LA.
No life east of I-5.

This Pollstar ?
https://www.pollstar.com/

What is so wrong with LA ? Everybody is advising to skip it !
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:04 am

Cancel the trip. Book flights to Idaho. Save lots of money. Thank me later.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 am

Guiloo wrote: What is so wrong with LA ? Everybody is advising to skip it !
Don't listen to these hippies. You're in Paris so you're obviously a big city guy. There's a ton of great stuff to do, see, and eat in LA, and if you're interested in art, it's by far the best place to see art in the state. Then again, you want to go to G1988 so your taste is questionable. LA is a huge fudge show as far as traffic and sprawl for sure, but I definitely wouldn't skip it altogether.

P.S. If you love beaches, hiking, and wildlife, consider stopping in San Diego as well for a couple of days. It's way cleaner than LA as far as that fudge goes.
canuck wrote:Cancel the trip. Book flights to Idaho. Save lots of money. Thank me later.
Still can't believe one of my good friends moved there. Fuggin right wing white people amirite.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:20 am

Thank you guys !

Next time for Idaho :p

I have added San Diego to my list

What would be for you the best 1 week roadtrip ? I am considering going North from LA - SF - Yosemite valley - Redwoods park - SF - (or goint North to Portland (or Seattle ?))
What do you think ? What other steps do I have to consider ?
ricv64
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:36 am

stuckeyc wrote:Drive north and spend time in the redwoods. Skip the cities

You have to pay for Muir woods and make reservations ...there are places for free such as Roys redwood grove where you'll get the same experience...If you're gonna drive hwy1 plan on it being a 2 day trip minimum
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ricv64
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:43 am

Guiloo wrote:
What is so wrong with LA ? Everybody is advising to skip it !

If you're native NOR CAL, you automatically dislike LA and generally consider anything South of say Monterrey as LA . In the words of Richie Goodtimes , there are 2 Californians Coastal and other . You don't want to drymount up in other California. The time of year you're planning is good . If driving up from hwy 101 pay attention to the speed limit
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:05 pm

Haha I generally feel the same way about norcal as they feel about LA, though I have enjoyed SF the couple times I've been there. And LA is coastal. Fuggin EBers.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:22 pm

ricv64 wrote:
stuckeyc wrote:Drive north and spend time in the redwoods. Skip the cities

You have to pay for Muir woods and make reservations ...there are places for free such as Roys redwood grove where you'll get the same experience...If you're gonna drive hwy1 plan on it being a 2 day trip minimum
I meant northern cali not central :wink: bay area is gross imo. If you are planning on starting in LA def drive the 1 up the coast. Take the 101 from sf and get up to Humboldt and hike the old growth up there.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:34 pm

I can't recommend Yosemite enough. Personally if I had a week, I'd fly into LA, make the drive up Hwy 1 to SF, spend a few days there then drive to Yosemite.
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Wait till september and see what part of the state is on fire, then adjust plans accordingly.
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.