Farewell EB

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Well, that didn’t last long.

Wow, so i don’t really even know how to start writing this post. So excuse the mess that it’ll certainly end up being... It’s with a heavy heart that i inform you of my decision to resign from the EB Board of Directors, resign my position as Curator of EB, resign as head of the Technology Sub-Committee, resign as EB Team Member, and withdraw myself from the site. This was not an easy decision to make, and i sure as hell don’t like that i had to make it at all. Over the years i have poured so much of my heart and soul into this site, countless hours. This community is incredibly important to me, and i’ve only ever wanted to help make this site the best it could be. I never expected anything for it, not even a thank you or a pat on the back, to be honest. I just found some gaps that needed filling and wanted to do my part to give back and help fill them. (Not to mention, my OCD tendencies and obsession with well-organized data made the work well-suited for me). The gaps were small at first, since more people were active and contributing back then. But then they grew, and i took on more, and eventually they asked me if i wanted to contribute in a more official capacity. So i said, sure, then i can help even more, and do an even better job of it. Cool. And i’ve done that for a couple years now, and even though people sometimes give me fudge for it, i liked doing it and felt i was helping improve everyone’s experience a bit, which was fulfilling to me. The volume of work became more, only because i became more passionate about it, and took on more. And i’d continue to do it for as long as they would have me...in a perfect world. But a recent turn of events have really taken their toll on me, and worn me down. After driving the initiative that led to a reforming of the Board of Directors, injecting that once stagnant leading body with new members and a new sense of energy, urgency, and enthusiasm, i was hopeful that the worst was behind us. Sure, there was still a very difficult and challenging road ahead, but i felt that at least there were finally people in the driver’s seat who actually cared about making it through that journey and who were willing to do the hard work it required. And i still do, for the most part. A vast majority of the board are actively working on getting things back on track, and with the new members that have been added, it might just be enough. With that said, i’m stepping down due to, let’s just call it, an irreconcilable difference of opinion with one of the old board members. I'm not going to go dragging anybody's name through the mud, so in the interest of closure i won't go much further than that. Except to say that if this wasn’t for the fact that all of it revolves around the one thing that i care about the most here, and what i have invested so much of myself into, it likely wouldn’t have ever come to this. But this was absolutely the hill i felt strongly enough about to die on. And i just don’t have the energy to keep going anymore, because of it. It's utterly sapped all of what strength and motivation i had left. There are enough fires i was fighting desperately to put out, helping to literally hook the site up to life support so it would at least stay up long enough to get us out of the absolute disaster of a mess that the old board got us into (while at the same time trying to help with recruiting efforts, develop a coordinated social media strategy, plan for the site’s future architectural direction, and more) i had no energy left to deal with this too. I’m simply exhausted by it. I told myself years ago, when i first took up these responsibilities, that if it ever started to feel like a chore, or a burden, or if i ever didn’t look forward to doing the work i was doing, or felt stressed or overwhelmed by it, that i would have to walk away. For my own health and my own sanity. And despite everything that i’ve done, all the tens of thousands of works of art i’ve added to the site and helped to organize, despite the various mean-spirited attacks i’ve had to fend off from time to time, despite all of the site outages over the last year and a half that dragged on my spirit, despite all the recent events to try and save the site from peril, i never felt it was a burden. I still looked forward to it, because i always felt that what i was doing added value to a community i love, and that was enough for me. That was fulfilling to me. But this recent bout over the very thing i hold most dear, has sapped what energy i had left. The actual straw that broke my back, as it were...

So unfortunately i’m left to this. :-( If i were any other user on the site, leaving EB, i wouldn’t have posted this. I’d have probably just quietly faded off into the background. But as much as i do around here, i felt i owed you all an explanation for my absence, and wanted to give you the respect of full transparency that you deserve (and should have been receiving all along). I’ve met some amazing people in my time here, and value, immensely, each of the friends i’ve had the fortune of making. Thanks, especially, to those of you who’d send me words of kindness and encouragement from time to time. And to everyone for putting up with my occasional crankiness, and rigidity when it came to database governance. I certainly hope there’s no lasting bitterness. A handful of folks enjoyed tearing me down, and i didn’t always respond to that in the best way, and definitely took it more personally than i probably should have, but i guess that’s just my nature. Most of you, though, are amazing people, and i’m grateful to have had the opportunity to spend time here chatting with you all. I’ve always believed in the power of community, and this was a special place to me, despite its many flaws. I have nothing but love for the new board members, that joined recently. They’re doing a phenomenal job. William’s doing a wonderful job in his new role as President, as well. Hopefully those things will be enough to eventually right the ship. This is a special place, and i genuinely hope it makes it through to the other side. I guess i just don’t see myself in that picture anymore. As an aside, if any of you want to start up a new site, or just need the help of a capable curator, i might just be up for it. (Been dreaming up some amazing architectural ideas too lol)

Thank you all again, and if you see me at a gallery show or convention somewhere down the road, i’d love it if you’d say hi. But you may need to be ready for a hug. ^_^

I’ll end with this excerpt from a speech i absolutely adore, given by George Saunders for the convocation at Syracuse University’s class of 2013 (https://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013 ... graduates/)
“What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness.
Those moments when another human being was there, in front of me, suffering, and I responded . . . sensibly. Reservedly. Mildly.
Or, to look at it from the other end of the telescope: Who, in your life, do you remember most fondly, with the most undeniable feelings of warmth?
Those who were kindest to you, I bet.”

Be well, my friends. <3
m.f
So it goes...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Huh?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
DMBfan
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:24 pm

It sounds like you worked your ass off...coming from someone who has always liked and appreciated this site...thank you.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 pm

We’re drymounted
That's what she said
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks for all you did.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
ifonly216
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Something must be happening that's not 100% on the up and up. That's what I'm taking away from this. Thanks for your hard work mfaith.
" time wounds all the heals"
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Sorry to see you go mfaith. Thanks for your tireless efforts in making this site what it is.
partpat
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for all your time and energy- it’s appropriated and a shame to see you go.
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:49 pm

ifonly216 wrote:Something must be happening that's not 100% on the up and up. That's what I'm taking away from this. Thanks for your hard work mfaith.
I wouldn't be staying on the board if that were the case. It's just, as Michael said, an unfortunate difference of opinion. Personally I'd prefer they thrash it out and he stayed but its entirely up to Michael if he feels he needs to leave. He's done a phenomenal amount of work for the database and been instrumental in the recent changes for the better. He'll be missed. :notworthy:
geezer
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:51 pm

1nkling wrote: He'll be missed. :notworthy:
ifonly216
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:53 pm

He put a ton of work into this place to leave over "personal differences" not site related. But everyone has free will. Again cheers Mike and thanks for the effort.
" time wounds all the heals"
xangelx
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:53 pm

BOOOOOOOOO!
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
punch
Art Expert

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the work you did.

I really want to hear the backstory now.. someone leak it. Come on.
pewter14
EB Team

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm

1nkling wrote:
ifonly216 wrote:Something must be happening that's not 100% on the up and up. That's what I'm taking away from this. Thanks for your hard work mfaith.
I wouldn't be staying on the board if that were the case. It's just, as Michael said, an unfortunate difference of opinion. Personally I'd prefer they thrash it out and he stayed but its entirely up to Michael if he feels he needs to leave. He's done a phenomenal amount of work for the database and been instrumental in the recent changes for the better. He'll be missed. :notworthy:

^^^ Could not have said this better ^^^
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
tulip1637
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:59 pm

thank you mfaith. ill have punch mow your lawn.