Changes at Expressobeans.com

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
fredo
Art God

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 am

Assuming this is gonna keep morphing, but I do think that part of the charm of the old place was that the layout gave the impression of a "space". Not sure how to better describe it.

Anyway, carry on.
just a foil for me today, thanks
egrimens
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 am

Why does it feel like I'm on some mobile version while on my computer?

So much space on each side
LarzMarz
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:34 am

I go regular EB to view “my page” but I get redirected to the forum to login when I was already logged in to begin with. 🤬
dodgers77
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:44 am

Where and how do I check out my collection ?! This is gonna take a while to get used to :neutral:
SPAC04
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:53 am

I miss the old format

SPAC04
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 am

+.02 more: No more "hot today"? Or homepage in general? Also no "my page"? This is some odd doppelganger EB. I feel claustrophobic lol but also srsly. Hope this is just the larval stage and we can evolve this into a pupa that feels a little more like the old house id be into that.

I do love to seethe site is https now, props on that bit.
binky79
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 am

egrimens wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 am
Why does it feel like I'm on some mobile version while on my computer?

So much space on each side
That was my first thought.
turnJBup
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 am

ABORT.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 am

Any ideas on how to locate our collections? Anything?
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:42 am

FAIL.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:54 am

Congrats on the migration. Change is always hard, and there's a lot of criticism. But going by recent events, I suspect the board and tech team will collect feedback and continually improve as warranted.

A few quick observations:

1. I can't view My Page on the main site. I just keep getting prompted to sign in repeatedly. I can come to the forum, sign in, and verify my username in the upper right... then I go to back to main and click My Page and get prompted to sign in. If I come back to the forum, I'm not signed in anymore.

2. Is there literally no link from the forum back to the main site? Or am I just missing it? I used to be able to click the Home in the upper left to get back to EB Main to move between the main site and the forum. Now it looks like I'll have to literally enter the url for the main site in my browser? :? Am I missing something?

3. Quicklinks for 'new activity' and 'active threads' were super convenient. Feels weird to bury them in a menu that requires an extra click.
1nkling
Site Admin

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:37 am

Morning all!

Amazing what goes on while you're asleep isn't it...

So... firstly.. THIS IS NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT!!

:lol:

There are a lot of tweaks and changes to me made I'm sure. The missing links to the DB pages is something that was definitely supposed to be done. And will be. I'm going to be fiddling with the style. We do have the option of switching to a fluid style rather than boxed which will fill the browser window better. I imagine it will cause more white space that others are complaining about though so. *shrug*

The login issues with the database will be sorted today I hope. Its working on the test site so it should be something simple.

The missing links for new posts, active topics, etc is a change made by phpBB in their latest version of the software. I must admit I hated it at first but after a couple of weeks fiddling on the test site I barely notice the difference. We can look at restoring them to where they were but its not our highest priority.

Please do give us your constructive feedback. Its never going to be possible to please all of the people all of the time, especially here, but we'll try.

:feedback:

-------

The important thing to remember is that the guys on the tech team have worked incredibly hard since they've come along to get things sorted out. They're all volunteers. (Yes really.) They do deserve some thanks for what they're doing. Also for explaining it to me in small words sometimes. :lol:

We've updated the software to phpBB version 3.2.7 which should be quicker and more functional. Its taken a big leap from the 3.1 series and had a major rewrite of a lot of its code. The main reason for doing it though was that the previous forum software and style files had some gaping security holes that needed fixing. It was time we brought the site up to modern day and made it safe. We've got SSL working too! Apologies that we couldn't do that while leaving it exactly the same but.. well.. we couldn't.

Thanks all!
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 am

whoah, login is not easy. does the logo not link to the main page anymore? how do we get there now, i didnt see any link. same with "my page" button. i assume there will be a link under our profile, but haven't been able to find it and make my morning rounds (at least not without coffee). WAY more important than the forum IMO
1nkling
Site Admin

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:26 am

stuckeyc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:13 am
whoah, login is not easy. does the logo not link to the main page anymore? how do we get there now, i didnt see any link. same with "my page" button. i assume there will be a link under our profile, but haven't been able to find it and make my morning rounds (at least not without coffee). WAY more important than the forum IMO
Sorry, thought I addressed that in my post above yours. :D

The links will be back. The logo will also go to the database. The tech team possibly got a little ahead of themselves in their enthusiasm to sort things last night. You can go to the database by heading to www.expressobeans.com but there is currently an issue with logins we're trying to fix.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
Gerrit1982
New User

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:30 am

1nkling wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:37 am

The login issues with the database will be sorted today I hope. Its working on the test site so it should be something simple.
Chrome is giving me a warning that the site is trying to load a script from a non-verified source.