Changes at Expressobeans.com

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:16 pm

MooseThompson wrote: You're underestimating just how dumb the Collectionzzzzzzzz guys are.
Go on.
Last edited by Codeblue on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
1nkling
Site Admin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks Whalaw and Electrachrome for the recent posts! I think some members have felt I've not been giving enough info while trying to be open and honest about things. Hopefully now they'll realise that I didn't really feel it my place to give some of these details out. :clap:

Hopefully now we can get on with sorting things out. :)
1nkling
Site Admin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Yep, I love EB exactly how it is (minus the technical difficulties). No need for a complete overhaul with new looks/colors/etc. Maybe some new functions worked into the old setup. Those other sites all look like trash.
This is pretty much our short-term plan in a nutshell. Move the server, update the forum, sort out the css for the styling on the database, make sure all the functions that connect between forum/database work, fix the bits of the database that have stopped working. Once all thats done we can start planning for future changes, upgrades, add-ons, features, etc.. Just getting things stable is our initial priority though.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm still here.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm

I currently admin EB's public FaceBook page as well as a private one for Team members that I set up as a way to communicate with the volunteers when the site was down. A couple months ago I posted a draft of what was potentially intended as public statement of the state of affairs regarding the site upgrade. I did so in order to get feedback and to have it proof read, but it was also a way to let some of the volunteers not on the BoD exactly what the current situation was. It was clear at that point that our developer had bailed on us and we were at odds as to the next best steps to take. Despite having one programmer on the Board, we were not getting any actionable direction from him. The remainder of us knew that we needed someone with software experience and who was currently on the volunteer Team at the table, ASAP. I volunteered to step down but was encouraged to stay on. Ultimately, it was aahnutz who resigned her seat, partly from frustration I suspect, but mainly so we could appoint a member who could offer the technical guidance ...any guidance really, that was so badly needed. We had a short list of 3 candidates and ultimately we voted to offer Nick (1972) the chance to have an active hand in determining EB's fate. He really came through in spades with ideas, options and connections that gave us both hope and more importantly, a practical to do list. As I said in my earlier post, as a group, we lacked the basic nomenclature of web development to even know what small steps could be taken to stabilize the site. I'm probably selling Tom (morst) a little short here, as he does have some web skills, but we needed someone currently active with today's web tools. It was encouraging to finally have someone on the BoD that had technical expertise and showed actual enthusiasm for getting the site back and moving in the right direction.

It was at this juncture that several key events occurred that lead up to the significant changes we are telling y'all about here. Brendan (Yamar) resigned as President of ExpressoBeans and accepted a job with another site to develop a poster site similar to EB. At nearly the exact same moment Michael (mfaith) rallied a group of the volunteer Team and penned a letter to the BoD with an ultimatum and call to action. Having been enlightened about the true situation the site was in, they wanted a direct hand managing the crisis. Because each one of them had invested countless hours to the site, they couldn't sit idly by waiting for us act. It's undeniable that quite a bit of the interactions that used to occur on this site have bled off to FB. We all heard and individually tried to quell some of the discontent expressed there over the site's abysmal performance and most importantly the lack of updates concerning the long awaited update that the membership had so generously contributed too. It was clear that we were loosing or had already lost the faith of the community that we had asked to entrust us. It was simultaneously an easy and difficult decision to make. Clearly, we needed their help and they were bringing exactly the expertise that was needed but it also meant asking fellow members of the BoD to step aside and resign their posts so that the new members could be appointed. Both Tom (morst) and Dave (bigdz68) are OG members. They have been a part of ExpressoBeans since before day one. They are among the initial group who planted the seeds that grew the EB we have today. If you view the Hall of Fame of EB member points, they are each in the top 10. With that said, Michael, Jon, Andy & Ben (the 4 members given seats on the BoD) possess skill sets in finance, web developement & data analytics, as well as injecting a dose a much needed passion into the BoD. We also chose to expand to BoD to 9 seats (an odd number being best to keep from being dead locked on any one decision) to give them each an equal voice in making EB a functional entity again.

That's pretty much the story that leads up to page 1 of this thread. There have been some changes since then and I'll have to leave that as a story for another day.
Thank you for you patience while we try and put things right.
-Damon (electrachrome)

tl;dr
we are in better hands today then we were a month ago and we hope to regain your confidence that EB will remain a valuable resource and community.
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks for the behind the scenes
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:22 am

Something I meant to highlight more prominently last night is the fact that the leadership team has gone back to it's geek squad roots as far as the skill sets that our new BoD members bring with them. If we are to survive, grow and thrive as a site and community using a volunteer working model, this is an important element that we had gotten away from. It had also been weighing on my mind that we were well past the time to begin handing over responsibility to the next generation just as those who founded EB had done many years ago. Currently all I am really bringing to the equation is continuity and maybe a certain temperament to help guide and focus the enthusiasm of our new members.

Later tonight I'll try and post a little about the Sales Forum and where we see that going and try to go through this thread again and answer a few questions.

In the mean time, I am asking for everyone's help. Right now, the simplest way to help EB is to click through an auction link on here if you plan on buying anything on eBay. The fractional amounts we get through our partnership is still our core revenue stream. I bought a new laptop around Christmas time. Once I had decided upon which model and from whom I was going to purchase it from, I clicked on one of the posters listed in my eBay alerts and then navigated to my saved auctions and bought it. A very small percentage of seller's fees paid to eBay come back to EB for the 'referral'. Collectively it adds up.
Secondly, please take a couple minutes and add a few auctions to EB. If 100 members added just 5 auctions a day it would go a long way to making up some of the data we may be loosing by not paying someone to dedicate a couple hours a day to the task. All member auctions submitted are still reviewed manually by Team for accuracy (it's part of what we do behind the scenes here) but it would take a little pressure of the Team if everyone pitched in just a little. In the time it took to read this post you could have entered one or two. Pick an artist your interested in or take the time to enter your own auction listings. I thank you in advance for your help.

Lastly (and I deserve a huge eye roll for this one), does anyone know who is sitting on the Instagram account that's under our name?
https://www.instagram.com/expressobeans/
I am trying to tie up all of our social networks under one umbrella so that we have a unified presence. We are going through official channels and the associated red tape that invariable come with that process, but it would be much simpler if whomever it's residing with could get in touch and transfer it over. :oops:

Thanks,
Damon
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 am

I've definitely been slacking on adding auctions since the site has become so wonky. Just added 20 in about 6 minutes, I'll be sure to get back in there with more regularity.

For any newbs who aren't quite sure what to do - simply pick a print that you're interested in and search for it on ebay. From the search page, right click on each item and open each one in a new tab on your browser. Then click on each new tab, scroll down to the ebay item number which is on the right side just above the item description, copy that number and then paste it on the EB item page under the "for sale or trade" tab - on the right there is a field "add auction." Click "save" and you're done, move on to the next. All of that takes 15 seconds once you've done it a couple times. Easy peasy.

Thanks chromedome, ytb.
felocin
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm

In the last week or so (for me) the site significantly better. I’ve only had to log in once (don’t think I’ve experienced that in years frankly), pics are loading, pages aren’t freezing... just want to say whatever you’re doing keep it up. If it’s a coincidence, take credit anyways lol. Seriously though, can’t be a coincidence. Keep it up and thank you.
aldobishalini
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 am

I've also noticed that I don't get an error message when sending messages back to back quickly. Used to have to wait 30 seconds or something. :notworthy:
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:46 am

Donated a few bucks. Will donate again and again, depending on the progress. I did not donate the last time because of how things were "pitched". Personally, I am not a fan of blindly donating.

This time around I actually see what one should expect seeing in terms of communications and the drive to do so. Just as important, I actually see the site working for an extended period of time, which means people are doing something right.

Chrome, thanks for your posts. You had me at hello (the first post).

Still think it sucks that mfaith had to go. Those who think that all he did was adding art to the database are wrong (and it is evident from electrachrome posts above).

Keep it up guys and keep the enthusiasm.
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 pm

electrachrome wrote:I currently admin EB's public FaceBook page as well as a private one for Team members that I set up as a way to communicate with the volunteers when the site was down. A couple months ago I posted a draft of what was potentially intended as public statement of the state of affairs regarding the site upgrade. I did so in order to get feedback and to have it proof read, but it was also a way to let some of the volunteers not on the BoD exactly what the current situation was. It was clear at that point that our developer had bailed on us and we were at odds as to the next best steps to take. Despite having one programmer on the Board, we were not getting any actionable direction from him. The remainder of us knew that we needed someone with software experience and who was currently on the volunteer Team at the table, ASAP. I volunteered to step down but was encouraged to stay on. Ultimately, it was aahnutz who resigned her seat, partly from frustration I suspect, but mainly so we could appoint a member who could offer the technical guidance ...any guidance really, that was so badly needed. We had a short list of 3 candidates and ultimately we voted to offer Nick (1972) the chance to have an active hand in determining EB's fate. He really came through in spades with ideas, options and connections that gave us both hope and more importantly, a practical to do list. As I said in my earlier post, as a group, we lacked the basic nomenclature of web development to even know what small steps could be taken to stabilize the site. I'm probably selling Tom (morst) a little short here, as he does have some web skills, but we needed someone currently active with today's web tools. It was encouraging to finally have someone on the BoD that had technical expertise and showed actual enthusiasm for getting the site back and moving in the right direction.

It was at this juncture that several key events occurred that lead up to the significant changes we are telling y'all about here. Brendan (Yamar) resigned as President of ExpressoBeans and accepted a job with another site to develop a poster site similar to EB. At nearly the exact same moment Michael (mfaith) rallied a group of the volunteer Team and penned a letter to the BoD with an ultimatum and call to action. Having been enlightened about the true situation the site was in, they wanted a direct hand managing the crisis. Because each one of them had invested countless hours to the site, they couldn't sit idly by waiting for us act. It's undeniable that quite a bit of the interactions that used to occur on this site have bled off to FB. We all heard and individually tried to quell some of the discontent expressed there over the site's abysmal performance and most importantly the lack of updates concerning the long awaited update that the membership had so generously contributed too. It was clear that we were loosing or had already lost the faith of the community that we had asked to entrust us. It was simultaneously an easy and difficult decision to make. Clearly, we needed their help and they were bringing exactly the expertise that was needed but it also meant asking fellow members of the BoD to step aside and resign their posts so that the new members could be appointed. Both Tom (morst) and Dave (bigdz68) are OG members. They have been a part of ExpressoBeans since before day one. They are among the initial group who planted the seeds that grew the EB we have today. If you view the Hall of Fame of EB member points, they are each in the top 10. With that said, Michael, Jon, Andy & Ben (the 4 members given seats on the BoD) possess skill sets in finance, web developement & data analytics, as well as injecting a dose a much needed passion into the BoD. We also chose to expand to BoD to 9 seats (an odd number being best to keep from being dead locked on any one decision) to give them each an equal voice in making EB a functional entity again.

That's pretty much the story that leads up to page 1 of this thread. There have been some changes since then and I'll have to leave that as a story for another day.
Thank you for you patience while we try and put things right.
-Damon (electrachrome)

tl;dr
we are in better hands today then we were a month ago and we hope to regain your confidence that EB will remain a valuable resource and community.
Thank you
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 pm

mobius006 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:yall know you can quote part of a post and not the whole thing right?
I......ahhhhhh.....don’t know how to do that...lol
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:46 pm

apalma27 wrote:I......ahhhhhh.....don’t know how to do that...lol
When you click the 'quote' button it'll copy the whole post into your text box.

it'll look something like (i added some spaces so you can see the code)
"USERNAME" wrote: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah [/ quote]

so the quote is going to be between the
"USERNAME" wrote: brackets and the [/ quote] brackets. so if i take out some of those blah blahs it'll look like this.
USERNAME wrote: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
the more you know.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
felocin
Art Expert

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 am

Okay I’ll be the first to say it although I know we’re all thinking it. If we want to bring back EB, there’s only one way to do it. It’s time to bring back the hook up thread. :P