Changes at Expressobeans.com

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 am

Codeblue wrote:Who owns that dumpster fire of a site? Makes this one look downright modern.
Whoa whoa whoa there! Does THIS site have the 1997 Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge tour poster in ITS database??
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 am

Scottjohnston wrote:
aahnutz wrote:EB had one “employee” - Yamar. He was the president of EB. His responsibilities were to add art and auctions which helped generate revenue for the site. This income from eBay was used to pay him. No donations were used for his salary. He was the contact person for the site that notified the server of any outages. He paid the bills and made sure the taxes were done yearly. He also was responsible for the distribution of the yearly EB awards to the winning artists. In the past two-three years he was assigned the job of finding someone willing to update the site using available funds and to keep everyone (BOD, EB Team, and members) informed as to its progress. He is no longer here. He accepted a similar position with an online entity who are developing their own poster site. They are paying him much more than what he was paid here. EB no longer has an “employee.” Whalaw is the interim president of EB. He is doing it for free. All the other team members are volunteers as well. I hope this clarifies some of your questions.
ISO link to new poster site :lol:
www.taperspostervault.com
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:04 am

That Mountain Dew poster with crisp corners and no chub rub easily goes for 10k.

The Code Red variant has bought a lot of homes on the Vineyard.
That's what she said
1nkling
Site Admin

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am

Codeblue wrote:Love how we get more deets from an ex board member than the board.
Fixed that for you.
finneganm wrote:Having to manually adjust DST seems a little Amishy
Thats something that has been sorted in the recent versions of phpBB so once we update the forum it shouldn't be an issue. Lots of other nice things in an actual up-to-date version of the software too.
GoBluePanic wrote:Since it's cool to be crass about this; is the new BoD certain that the entire $30K went to the developer and none of it came back to the one person that coordinated this shitshow? It seems like if a person wanted to steal some money, funneling it through a fictional, European developer that no one else has contact with is a pretty good way to do it.
Pretty sure. Two of the new board members bring financial skills and knowledge to the team and are making a full assessment of the money situation, past and present. Part of my stipulation when taking up a seat on the board was that we get a full breakdown of the finances and we explain to the membership where their money has gone. It may be painful but I think its an important step on the progression forward with the site. If this doesn't happen then I'm not going to be happy sticking around.

As I think I said already, Whalaw is doing an awesome job behind the scenes as an interim President. He too wants to sort things out and get them back on track. We're all committed to site getting back to its best. Its not going to happen overnight though.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 am

1nkling wrote:
GoBluePanic wrote:Since it's cool to be crass about this; is the new BoD certain that the entire $30K went to the developer and none of it came back to the one person that coordinated this shitshow? It seems like if a person wanted to steal some money, funneling it through a fictional, European developer that no one else has contact with is a pretty good way to do it.
Pretty sure. Two of the new board members bring financial skills and knowledge to the team and are making a full assessment of the money situation, past and present. Part of my stipulation when taking up a seat on the board was that we get a full breakdown of the finances and we explain to the membership where their money has gone. It may be painful but I think its an important step on the progression forward with the site. If this doesn't happen then I'm not going to be happy sticking around.

As I think I said already, Whalaw is doing an awesome job behind the scenes as an interim President. He too wants to sort things out and get them back on track. We're all committed to site getting back to its best. Its not going to happen overnight though.
I want to make clear that I truly appreciate you, Whalaw, and others that are stepping in to make improvements. I was irritated at a non-BoR posters comment but that bled over into what appeared to be dissatisfaction with everything and that was my fault.

Unfortunately when people criticize donors for their donations amounts, whether it's a random person or a Board member, and there is no follow up that every donation does, in fact matter, it comes off as those donations aren't that important. It's my feeling that people that donate to the site are probably more likely to be the people who also add ebay auctions when they have time, or they see one, resulting in more revenue to the site. I assume they are also the ones that check in more and contribute to discussions more often. Drive those people away and this place turns into a Doyle Mystery tube; all crap with only the promise of something good.

ymmv
:cheers:
I'm not someone else.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am

pvecchi wrote:
NoseSpray wrote:The salary was paid for, and tied to, eBay sales revenue. What does the eBay revenue have to do with the website? Or am I missing something?

Are you guys claiming, gasp, that donations were used to pay a salary?

That’s why there are links to auctions in the item page. Every time someone clicks those to check out the item on eBay, the site gets something from eBay.
Not really. Someone has to actually purchase something on eBay after accessing one of the links posted on EB for EB to get any money. Bear in mind that it doesn't have to be right away, but it does have to be using the same session initiated from the link.

More deets here:
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 14&t=10826
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
1nkling
Site Admin

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am

GoBluePanic wrote:I want to make clear that I truly appreciate you, Whalaw, and others that are stepping in to make improvements. I was irritated at a non-BoR posters comment but that bled over into what appeared to be dissatisfaction with everything and that was my fault.

Unfortunately when people criticize donors for their donations amounts, whether it's a random person or a Board member, and there is no follow up that every donation does, in fact matter, it comes off as those donations aren't that important. It's my feeling that people that donate to the site are probably more likely to be the people who also add ebay auctions when they have time, or they see one, resulting in more revenue to the site. I assume they are also the ones that check in more and contribute to discussions more often. Drive those people away and this place turns into a Doyle Mystery tube; all crap with only the promise of something good.

ymmv
:cheers:
I heartily agree. I've been more active in these last few weeks than I have in ages. The decision (lead by Michael) for us to give the board an ultimatum and the change that has produced has really fired me up again. I can't help but feel a bit dispirited at the negative comments but I also can't in any way blame them. I've been fielding comments on Facebook threads and personal messages asking what the status of the upgrade was for a long time. The lack of information has made it really hard for me to tell people anything other than 'the site upgrade is coming, don't lose hope'. After a while though I lost hope too.

As for the donators. I appreciate each and every one. The donations don't make up the bulk of the sites income (if you ignore the funding drive for the upgrades) but they still are very important. To see that people have regular payments set up to the PayPal is really heartening. Its those members I and the board are here for. The pre-existing members are working with us 'noobs' and we're all trying to drive it forward. The changes that Whalaw is putting in to the structure though means that decisions will be made quicker and more efficiently. If board members lose interest it won't have an effect on the decision making of the site.

As I said though, its not going to happen instantly. I'd already like things to be going quicker but they're not for several reasons. Things shouldn't be rushed, volunteers work at their own pace and life happens. Rest assured though that among the many ideas being fired around at the moment are ways to get the members more involved in how the site runs. Any suggestions (not involving dildocopter gifs) are greatly appreciated too.. :D
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm

the thing that get me the most about all this is Yamar has always solicited donations to "run the site" because:
Yamar wrote:...such is the nature of a volunteer run site.
There's never been any transparency as to what goes where from what sources, only pleas to donate donate donate because not one source (ebay or donations) covers the site expenses... all the while collecting a salary! Telling us volunteers run the site makes him a liar and really taints the whole history. And now to learn he's left to work with a competing site? Sounds like an exit scam if you ask me. A well executed and profitable one.

tl dr; Yamar is a liar and probably stole the money.
I predict fredo eats the biscuit. 5/28/19
fredo
Art God

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 pm

That's some pretty good re-contextualized bullshitting right there.
just a foil for me today, thanks
squalie
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:27 pm

My take-way on this whole fudge show is that the previous BOD were not transparent enough with how the site was operated. They had a great thing going but one (or more) drymounted up and a lot of money, donated in good faith, was lost.
I hope the new leadership understands that in order for this site to succeed, which is heavily dependent on it members, they need to provide that transparency to regain trust.

I request that fixing the art comments should be a priority!! Not being able to have discussions abut the art or when they release took heart out of this place.

I'm no doubt pulling for those who are dedicated to getting this place back on its feet!

Luls at Yamar going to posterogs :eh:
itsdug
Art Expert

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm

When does that Mountain Dew poster drop?
no comment ®
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 pm

^Ain't you a posterogs duke?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
dangerboy
Flipper

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 pm

this is like an epic callout thread from back in the day, but with fewer swords and subarus and drug problems

lots of eye-opening info intermingled with masterful internet commentary

and, in the end, this time the scammer actually swindled the site itself instead of its members

cheers, EB. way to drymount up the best poster resource on the net.
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
caleb
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:46 pm

squalie wrote: I request that fixing the art comments should be a priority!! Not being able to have discussions abut the art or when they release took heart out of this place.
This. Taking away comments on for sale threads was a bummer, but not being able to follow release discussions and the art comments really was a big loss, and was a turning point around here. I'm hoping for the best and that this place can turn it round.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 pm

So Whalaw came back?