Starting up a business - Thoughts on my logo?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Logo looks good. Clear and legible. I think it's better to be nice and simple. No offense to the suggestions of flames, but to me, throwing flames on a smoked BBQ sign is a bit redundant and tacky.

I'd suggest heading over to redbubble and throwing the logo in (you don't have to make it live or anything) to see what the logo will look like on hats/shirts/aprons/etc. While you're probably not thinking about that now, you might do in the future so good to have that in mind.

Also - when you come to getting business cards, I use Moo.com and have had great success with them.

As for the EST 2019 - I think that's a nice touch, but it depends on whether you want to have that kind of 'legacy'. I think it adds a bit of extra authenticity to it and suggests that you're in it for the long haul.

As for the colour - don't stress too much about that. It's interchangeable as the logo is stagnant, so stick with a generic colour and you can change it as you go if you need to.

Finally - congrats.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 am

peacedog
Art Expert

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:16 am

Two words: Caramelized Bacon. The guy that used to set up in front of my shop had a secret stash that was off the menu. Heavenly.

I'd also like to see something pull your secondary lettering together with the central Smoko logo, a circle that sets behind it and ties everything together. Something more like an Immortan Joe's War Boy's insignia branding. Or are there any indigenous animals you could use as a simple outline? The outline of Australia itself?

Also, is Low & Slow a specific phrasing in Australia? I feel like Slow & Low rolls off the tongue better.

Congrats on the new gig!
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:47 pm

DonPiano wrote:Logo looks good. Clear and legible. I think it's better to be nice and simple. No offense to the suggestions of flames, but to me, throwing flames on a smoked BBQ sign is a bit redundant and tacky.

I'd suggest heading over to redbubble and throwing the logo in (you don't have to make it live or anything) to see what the logo will look like on hats/shirts/aprons/etc. While you're probably not thinking about that now, you might do in the future so good to have that in mind.

Also - when you come to getting business cards, I use Moo.com and have had great success with them.

As for the EST 2019 - I think that's a nice touch, but it depends on whether you want to have that kind of 'legacy'. I think it adds a bit of extra authenticity to it and suggests that you're in it for the long haul.

As for the colour - don't stress too much about that. It's interchangeable as the logo is stagnant, so stick with a generic colour and you can change it as you go if you need to.

Finally - congrats.
now that EB is stable (for the minute) I can finally reply!

I agree with your first point - simple is the way to go for me.
Good idea with redbubble, ill do that for sure.

I appreciate your other points too mate, all very helpful. Thank you

peacedog wrote:Two words: Caramelized Bacon. The guy that used to set up in front of my shop had a secret stash that was off the menu. Heavenly.

I'd also like to see something pull your secondary lettering together with the central Smoko logo, a circle that sets behind it and ties everything together. Something more like an Immortan Joe's War Boy's insignia branding. Or are there any indigenous animals you could use as a simple outline? The outline of Australia itself?

Also, is Low & Slow a specific phrasing in Australia? I feel like Slow & Low rolls off the tongue better.

Congrats on the new gig!
In an initial design, I had the outline of a steak in the background, fairly transparent, that tied it all together. but in the end it just looked a little out of place to me. The outline of Aus could work though!
Low & Slow is an american term. Aussies are just now starting to embrace this style of bbq. But it is indeed "low and slow" everywhere ive ever seen or heard it.
  • Image Image Image ImageImage