Starting up a business - Thoughts on my logo?

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:55 am

A quick bit of context - for pretty much the past 12 months ive been researching the prospect of starting up a Low & Slow smoked bbq business using an offset smoker on a trailer. The idea at first is for it to be a part time/as much as I can do business whilst still working my current job. To take bookings or do pop-up stalls etc on weekends.
The goal is to cater for public and private events, and even do some daily sales at markets, or with bars etc. I won't go in to it.

So anyway, I recently purchased the new smoker. It's large enough to cater for around 200 people, and is being built currently. So in the meantime one of my mates has been knocking up a logo for me.
I've settled on the name "Smoko"" for the business, which I love. It obviously relates to smoked food, but also in Australia Smoko is a popular slang word and part of our culture, so it's a good fit I believe.

So after a fair few attempts, I have settled on this logo, but id love to hear everyones thoughts on it. Is the scaling right, or should the colours change, or should there be an "EST 2019" etc??
The black on white is for branding on white things, and the white on black for black things (black shirts for example), but the coloured ones can work on either, so im a little unsure if to keep it simple or go for a coloured logo. Even a different colour to the ones shown.

Any and all comments appreciated, cheers.

• Image Image Image ImageImage
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am

That's exciting man! Good for you. I've seen some of your bbq creations and you've definitely got the skills. Good luck man.

Logo is aiiight. I like the font and sizing. KInda plain but that can be a good thing. How about a small, winking pig that is eating a rib in-between SMOKO and Barbecue. :lol:
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I like it . . . my suggestion would be to add some weight (via a drop shadow or beveling or something) on "LOW & SLOW" and "BARBECUE"

Also, to get more of the circle effect that you're going for with those words, I'd also add in some lines or something around those words, that breaks a bit before the lines would hit SMOKO.

EDIT/PS: That's awesome that you're starting a business! Best of luck!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:18 pm

I like those with the dark background best and also think a little something else is needed like flames or smoke.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:22 pm

here for the bbq taste testing... :lol:

good luck wotta!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 pm

wottagunn wrote:Thoughts on my logo?
Meh.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:42 pm

nice font, needs a pig somewhere though
maroozer
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:58 pm

chalkdust wrote:nice font, needs a doobie somewhere though
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Let me know if you are looking to trademark it. I will do a TESS search for you.
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
RPuzio77
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Looks pretty cool, Wottagunn. Good luck with getting the business off the ground.
trarex
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

chalkdust wrote:nice font, needs a pig somewhere though
With a chef hat and smoking
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 pm

You should change up the tagline, imo. "Smoko" still in the center. "It's not Kansas City" up top. "But pretty good for Australia" along the bottom. :P
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Xander
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm

hunterjax wrote:I like it . . . my suggestion would be to add some weight (via a drop shadow or beveling or something) on "LOW & SLOW" and "BARBECUE"
meskell
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Xander wrote:
hunterjax wrote:I like it . . . my suggestion would be to add some weight (via a drop shadow or beveling or something) on "LOW & SLOW" and "BARBECUE"
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:How about a small, winking pig that is eating a rib in-between SMOKO and Barbecue. :lol:
jjttdw wrote:I like those with the dark background best and also think a little something else is needed like flames or smoke.
chalkdust wrote:nice font, needs a pig somewhere though
trarex wrote:With a chef hat and smoking
thanks for the comments guys. I did consider a little image of sorts, but chose against it for a few reasons - the main one being that I am going to have my logo laser cut on to my smoker, and any details such as a pic can not be performed by the laser cutter. It needs to be kept simple

Also, to get more of the circle effect that you're going for with those words, I'd also add in some lines or something around those words, that breaks a bit before the lines would hit SMOKO.
I actually did do this in an earlier draft (the circle). I'll share the image here soon. In the end the effect looked a little odd, but id like to hear your thoughts on it.
Codeblue wrote:Meh.
cheers tiger

and thanks all for the positive and encouraging comments, very much appreciated!
  • Image Image Image ImageImage