I'M A DAD

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:35 pm

That’s so awesome, congratulations! :cheers:
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Never too early to prep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Kramerica wrote::lol: there's a reason life expectancy was in the 20's when people gave birth in the dirt. You should definitely be cleaning your baby.
Hey, I was a dirt baby and I'm still around :lol:
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:42 pm

congrats! :pint:
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:47 pm

Start saving for college. Now.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Jesusmalverde wrote:Start prepping him for survival in a Max Max style dystopia. Now.
FTFY
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:53 pm

rubberneck wrote:
soam24 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Mods please change the thread title to 'Parenting 101: Advice and speculation'

Thks!
You ain't kidding... so many questions.
Go with you gut and common sense and don't even delude yourself that a certain self help book or sleeping technique will magically unlock your kids perfect state of being. First three months are a bitch for sleep and emotion. But it gets better. 8)
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:55 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
Jesusmalverde wrote:Start prepping him for survival in a Max Max style dystopia. Now.
FTFY
the Water Wars are coming.
guryter
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Milk protein allergy is a real thing, both my boys had/have it. It's usually determined by a stool sample where they test for blood. [Insert colic probably related to that reference here].

You usually then wait a year and reintroduce dairy slowly.....cooked products (like pancakes), then yogurt, then cheese, then milk. Then you test again if you get through all those steps without blowouts/restless nights/vomiting, because they probably outgrew it.
rubberneck wrote:Go with you gut and common sense and don't even delude yourself that a certain self help book or sleeping technique will magically unlock your kids perfect state of being. First three months are a bitch for sleep and emotion. But it gets better. 8)
This is legit tho. And sleep regression is a real thing as well. Book learning helped us deal with it and get past, but you definitely need to work it into your situation and tweak if necessary.

And if I will be constructive, do not bring co-sleeping past a certain stage, if at all. Get them sleeping in their crib at least one nap a day around 4-5 months (imo). It only gets harder to get them sleeping on their own. I have two friends who have 5-6 year olds that still will only sleep through the night if they are in their parents' bed. Also, make sure you and your partner are on the same page with important fudge. Talk it out beforehand, that will avoid plenty of problems. Gotta be on the same page.

/dad
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:09 pm

guryter wrote:
do not bring co-sleeping past a certain stage, if at all. Get them sleeping in their crib at least one nap a day around 4-5 months (imo). It only gets harder to get them sleeping on their own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
soam24
Art Freak

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:41 pm

loving the advice!!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Other than the good stuff others have said, here's my one take away from infancy . . .

Don't know if your partner is planning to breastfeed or not, but if she is, don't stress about if it's not working at first when you get home from the hospital. Just supplement with a bottle in the middle of the night, because the struggle can sometimes be REAL and it's not worth the stress on the mom, the baby, or yourself. We had a hell of time getting our first to breastfeed that first week we got home from the hospital and it got really stressful for a few days with militant nurses telling us to NEVER give a bottle and just "make it happen." Finally had a great Nurse Practitioner say stop! just give him a bottle when he won't latch on and try to breastfeed next time. Within a few days of that we were all much calmer and that I truly believe led to the baby "getting" the breastfeeding.

Even more stressful if you're partner went through a c-section and was still bed-bound . . .

Don't let anyone tell you there's a singular way to do something.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm

hunterjax wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:
guryter wrote:Congrats!

Have two, it's ten times as hard.
FTFY
lol, depends on the age spread I think . . . two under 4 is tough; two over 5 and reasonably close in age, gets a lot easier and a lot more fun. Two teenagers (especially a boy and a girl) becoming more difficult, :D
I’ve got a 2.5 year old and a nine month old. Every day is just me praying to make it to bedtime without losing my mind :lol:
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 pm

But for real though. Congrats soam. Parenthood definitely changed me for the better. It’s a ton of fun along with a ton of stress. Burst the end of the day, hugging your kid will make anything better
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
guryter
Art Expert

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes, def. Our hospital was pro-bf and didn't want to introduce bottles or pacifiers. Being first time parents we listened like it was the law and kept trying but he didn't latch and wasn't eating well. Add in my wife being pre eclampsia (7 days stay in the hospital for the three of us) and things were real rough. 3 days in after a weight check and he lost @15% body weight. The nurse didn't catch it until I pointed it out. "Well you have to feed him then" was the response we received. Right after that we said drymount this, agreed and gave him a bottle. From there we continued to supplement and ensure he was on a good weight gain pace. And yes to the c-section, that's legit surgery. Minimize the movement, try not to climb stairs etc.
jmagee87 wrote:I’ve got a 2.5 year old and a nine month old. Every day is just me praying to make it to bedtime without losing my mind :lol:
I have a 3.5 year old and a 14 month old. Bedtime is beertime.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.