Loss of a Pet

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 am

Laughter and tears are pretty much the same physical process and essentially serve the same purpose. Doctors had declared it the best medicine ages ago. Also grief can be channeled into all sorts of inspiration/ motivation. How ever you choose to deal, i do hope you find yourself in a better place in time, hold your head up holmes
Listening to this works very well imo^...for me at least.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:20 pm

We had to say goodbye to our sweet old man puppy dog, Copper, today; he was 15 years old, which is pretty damn good for a larg-ish pup. He was a sweet and steady mainstay in our home over the past 12 years; he was patient and loving with our children even when they were tiny and grabby; he had the sweetest smile, and it almost never left his face. When he was young he used to drag me and my wife by the leash on walks, always barreling full steam ahead bursting with youthful energy and excitement. He blew out both his ACLs in his middle years, and as he aged the strength in his back legs began to fade, and eventually led to nerve pain in his back over the course of this year.

So this day has been creeping up on us, and over the past few weeks the conversations had become more serious as his quality of life degraded. Eventually we felt his bad days were overbalancing the good, and we didn't want to prolong his suffering. It hurts like hell, but we truly feel he had a great life, and me and my family are blessed and better for his presence and impact on out lives.

GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:52 am

15 years in an awesome run for any dog. So sorry for your loss.
I'm not someone else.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:45 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:52 am
15 years in an awesome run for any dog. So sorry for your loss.
Yeah, it is an awesome run. It’s weird not having him around today; I miss him like hell - he’s just been here for so long, that I’ve yet to really fit his absence into my normality.

But (oddly) I don’t necessarily mean that in a sad way, or if I do it’s only myself that I’m sad for; I’m happy he’s not suffering, so I don’t really grieve his loss, I’m just going to have to take time to where I’m not looking for him camped out on the rug, slightly confused until I remember why I don’t see him.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm sorry for everyone's loss. I am still struggling with mine.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm

You're not alone ONEYE, I'm having a really tough time as well. Even though this is the 4th dog I've had to put down it's hit me the hardest and I'm still shedding tears about it regularly. The worst is those quick little moments where I forget and look to where she would be laying before it hits me again that's she's gone.
I'm not someone else.
cubbiephan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:00 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm
The worst is those quick little moments where I forget and look to where she would be laying before it hits me again that's she's gone.
this right here. the absolute worst.......

we had to put our 14 year old mini schnauzer to rest last week. he was my best friend, and i miss him dearly.

he was such a big part of our family. he was ours before we were even engaged, and became the poster child.....literally......for our wedding.

even now with two kids.....the house seems empty without him.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm separated from my wife. My two sons are adults in other states. It was just Snoopy and myself. The silence is brutal. The normal routine gone. It's been 4 long weeks, and the pain and grief is still raw. I still cry. I can't listen to music. I have to force myself to do things. I distract myself with movies. With time it will be easier, but you never forget, and a piece of you will always be missing.

Eventually, I'll adopt another dog from a shelter and give the best life I can. I'll get two so that they have a buddy, a bonded pair if possible. If not, then one dog at a time, so that it's used to me first, then gets used to the other dog.

Dog's have emotions. I had Diva, a dog I personally rescued. She was abandoned in a ditch at around 4 months old. She was with me for 14 years. When she died, Snoopy (who knew her for around 3 years) became depressed. He didn't want to go for walk, loss of appetite, etc. It took him awhile to get over her loss as well. So keep this in mind if you have multiple pets.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Sorry cubbiephan, Ernie looks like he was a pretty awesome dog.

Our other dog Boomer is 11.5 years and this is the first time in his life he's been the only dog. He's definitely been just as down as me and my wife.

We had a trip planned for this past weekend that was originally supposed to be a rehab trip for Maizey. After putting her down we debated cancelling it but decided to go anyway. Boomer had a blast. I did some self-therapy with a mood-altering substance that forced me to confront the grief and pain. In between listening to Lockn and Panic Ryman streams I cried a ton of tears. They needed to be let out. Like I said, I've never experienced grief like this before and I felt consumed by it. I've been a Hospice volunteer in the past, and have sat with a number of my own family members through their end so I'm familiar with how to deal with grief but was stuck. I feel like I'm through the darkest of it now. I hope I am anyway.

:vibes to all
I'm not someone else.
gorkie
Art Freak

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:17 am

Happened upon this and felt this would be a good place to share it.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
justlexi
Art Enthusiast

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:10 pm

It took me some time to get a new pet after the loss of my first ever golden retriever.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:44 pm

gorkie wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:17 am
Happened upon this and felt this would be a good place to share it.
That was beautiful gorkie. Jimmy Stewart was everyone’s favorite grandpa. I was a little worried that something had happened to one of your little guys when I saw you bump this thread.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:38 am

Glad you liked that.
All ok here.
:-)
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Hate to bump this thread but I guess it's my turn. :(

Unfortunately Maddie had to put down today. She started pooping and throwing up a lot of blood and after a few more days things just slowly were getting worse and she stopped eating. This hurts a lot guys, I hate this.

She was a little punk sometimes but a very caring dog. As her mobility was slowing down she would still get up from whatever corner she was sleeping in and limp on over to you with her lil tail a waggin. She lived a great life, 12 years and was extremely loved! You will be missed! Give your pets an extra hug and kiss for me.

gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pm

What a sweetie. She’s in doggie heaven for sure. Wishing you peace.