All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:58 pm

bryndavies wrote:I'm committed to smoking the turkey this thankagiving, so I've taken the advice above and purchased a wireless thermometer with two probes to monitor internal meat temp and smoker temp. The recipes I've been looking at seem pretty killer. But it will be interesting giving this a go with weather in the 20s.
What are you using for brine? I got something new (in a box) to try but always looking for options.

In addition to the turkey, I'm going to smoke a pork butt on my Egg. Got a great brine recipe for that from FD, Jr., the chef. If anybody wants it, lemme know...
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Id follow the turkey cook on youtube by Aaron Franklin. Thing looked amazing

Looks like ill be getting my smoker for xmas… im impatient so this sucks, but oh well.
Whats the first thing I should cook? Ribs? Id love to try a brisket but the skill and time investment are putting me off until I get some experience.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 pm

wottagunn wrote:Id follow the turkey cook on youtube by Aaron Franklin. Thing looked amazing

Looks like ill be getting my smoker for xmas… im impatient so this sucks, but oh well.
Whats the first thing I should cook? Ribs? Id love to try a brisket but the skill and time investment are putting me off until I get some experience.
Ribs is a good choice IMO...won't take long and gives you good feedback. Anything you smoke for a long time will not be hard as long as your smoker stays at a pretty constant temp. I like to keep it moist too (apple cider in a spray bottle). Brisket or pork are definitely on the easier end of the scale.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah, I should clarify I mean the skill in keeping the heat for such a long period of time. ive never smoked before so a shorter cook is preffered.

Anyone ever do fish?
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Ribs are a great first cook IMO.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:22 pm

I've read not to do fish in the same smoker as red meat, but I could be wrong
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:32 pm

piper27 wrote:I've read not to do fish in the same smoker as red meat, but I could be wrong
use a plank if you're concerned about contamination. I have a BG Egg and pretty much anything other than the slow cook/smoked stuff I use a really hot fire, including fish. If it is a dedicated smoker, be fun to try smoking fish, like salmon--yum!
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:59 am

Fellas, I can get this thermo from my local bbq shop... Does it look alright? Just saves me waiting for shipping from the states

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/mave ... hermometer
evilpresence
Art Expert

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:56 am

I currently rely on the Bluetooth of the MES (when it works) for temp. Otherwise I go out and use the Thermopen. This is the Maverick i have planned on getting until Thermoworks came out with their model. It's a toss up now...

Maverick Redi-Chek BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732 Special Edition Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ITJT92/

Thermoworks Smoke
http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Wanted to smoke a turkey but I bought the Butterball fryer over the summer on clearance so planned on doing that until we were asked to bring something other than turkey so now I'm about to smoke a ham.
piper27
Art Expert

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:11 am

I'd be curious to see how that ham turns out. That's on my list for next year's smoking.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:08 pm

smoker has been ordered!
will be in on Saturday
piper27
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:50 pm

wottagunn wrote:smoker has been ordered!
will be in on Saturday
Pictures or it didn't happen! Dude welcome to another addiction. I wish there wasn't a foot of snow here and -20F last week. I'd love to smoke all year round
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:56 pm

oh dont worry mate there'll be plenty of pics incoming after xmas
hoping to burn it out on saturday once I put it together, then after boxing day ill have a crack at some ribs (provided I can get the meat somewhere)
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Quick question fellas, do you use frozen meat for your cooks, or buy it fresh/cook it that day?
Full ribs, and brisket especially, have to be ordered in here. Brisket is not common in Australia. So if I buy a few at a time, is it alright to freeze them and then thaw them before smoking?
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Totally fine to freeze, or buy frozen. I got a buddy who buys a brisket every time he finds a good one. Has several in a freezer. Same with ribs.

If I get drunk enough this week, thinking about treating myself to one of these packages. That Berkshire pork is the best Jerry, the best!

http://www.tenderbelly.com/store/product-category/yeti
ImageT.K.C.