All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 pm

SteveGo wrote:If you cook any type of meat on a grill, do yourselves a favor and get a Thermapen. By far the best probe thermometer you can buy.

A good thermometer is an absolute must. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.
ImageT.K.C.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:15 pm

What's cooking this weekend? Time to be defrosting or buying your weekend meats.

Next up for me is a pastrami, and maybe some bacon. Or I might go lazy and just do ribs.
ImageT.K.C.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Oh, and here is a simple tasty pork BBQ sauce recipe.

BBQ sauce #5 (five ingredients)

1 cup ketchup
1/2 apple cider vinegar (I usually add more to taste, but I like tang)
1/2 cup brown sugar (maybe less to taste, the ketchup has plenty of sugar)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I sometimes add more)
1 tablespoon of your rub (more to taste, and add some cayenne if you want some heat with the tang)

Combine in saucepan and simmer low for 15-30 minutes stirring with whisk.
ImageT.K.C.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Nice setup, Bryn. Here's my rig - actually grabbed it off Amazon in February for $699 with free shipping. Figured with how much smoking I was doing that it was time to upgrade from my shitty little chargriller. 4 mm thick walls retained heat pretty goddamned well in March in Wisconsin. Added a tel-tru and sealed everything with gaskets and silicon. I've been absolutely thrilled with this smoker.

Been trying to do a brisket whenever possible in an effort to master it, as it's way more difficult to produce consistent results than anything else I've ever worked with. Below is last weekend's effort. Almost 15 hours at 275 with hickory logs.

Midway

Result
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Ugh, I gotta stop coming into this thread. Making me hungry.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Damn! Very nice setup. Seems we did the same thing re silicone and fire gasket, but I like the size of yours. I already think mine is too small. Mine is also very thick and heavy, which is great. Not that flimsy crap that seems so pre leant these days.

I agree the brisket is the toughest thing to do. Also learning the ins and outs of my smoker as well re how it cooks.

Did you like the hickory? I used oak last weekend and found it burned way too hot; it was firing up to 350, and I kept having to constantly dampen it, which then starts to produce that thick nasty smoke you don't want.

Also, did, or do you, wrap your brisket at any point in the cook? That's the one thing I'm struggling with. I want to be a purist, but given how finicky the brisket is, I didn't want to risk drymounting it up last weekend.

Edit.

Also, what are you running yours with? I've been following Aaron Franklin's 1:1 salt and pepper. Ive watched his YouTube videos about brisket and also have his book.
ImageT.K.C.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks man.

I love hickory. It's a little more expensive than oak but worth it in my opinion. Burns nice and evenly and obviously has a great flavor - a little stronger than oak.

I use pretty much all of Franklin's philosophies when it comes to brisket, since he really is the king. So I do wrap using butcher paper pretty shortly after it gets out of the stall. If I have an abundance of time and no hungry people waiting around, I'll try to take it as far as I can unwrapped. But I've pretty much always gotten tired of waiting and wrapped at some point. Apparently wrapping with butcher paper isn't as taboo as foil with purists, but I don't really see an issue either way. You're putting in a ton of work regardless of what you wrap it in, so might as well do whatever works best for you.

If you haven't gotten a look at it yet, this book is fairly excellent. He goes waaaay in depth into every aspect of bbqing/smoking. I would highly recommend purchasing for anyone serious about smoking.

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecu ... n+bbq+book
natepachl
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:30 pm

bryndavies wrote:For direct heat grilling, I just got this PK grill. It's supposed to be the fudge, and Aaron Franklin uses this for grilling at his home. It's cast aluminum, and it's supposed to get hot and hold like a ceramic green egg, just at 1/4-1/3 the cost of an egg. Will be firing this up today as well for direct heat wings.

This thread, hell yes!!!! Thanks for starting it :notworthy: What's the verdict on the PK? Was just looking at them on-line this AM and thinking about picking one up. How sturdy is the base.
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Another question I've been wrestling with and researching is how long to let it rest for before cutting in. I've read everything from 1/2 hour, to 4 hours in a cooler. I've been cutting in when it gets back down to 170s, though. Wrapped with foil last weekend, but will get some butcher paper now.

I've also ready different pull temps for when to take it off, but have been following the Franklin 203 methodology.

I'll tell you all, this is a fun hobby, especially if you like to play with fire and eat good meats. My wife isn't so jazzed about it because of how long it takes and that means she's on kid duty when I'm smoking, but I think she's happy I have a somewhat productive hobby that involves thinking, research, and creativity.
ImageT.K.C.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Hah, same. But it's nice because you can wander away for 15-20 minute increments and help with kid duty. Also, lots of times, dinners half made for like the next week. Pork/brisket tacos, empanadas, nachos, she'll make these really awesome from scratch pizzas. Nice to have a tasty protein at the ready any night of the week. Just gotta keep finding ways to keep it from getting redundant.

You can let it rest for a good while. Typically, a minimum of 40 or so minutes would be ideal. I believe in the book he says they serve at 140 in the restaurant and that's the number he recommends. I know I'm still guilty of cutting into it too early sometimes when people want to eat.
Last edited by PrintNoob87 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:40 pm

natepachl wrote:
bryndavies wrote:For direct heat grilling, I just got this PK grill. It's supposed to be the fudge, and Aaron Franklin uses this for grilling at his home. It's cast aluminum, and it's supposed to get hot and hold like a ceramic green egg, just at 1/4-1/3 the cost of an egg. Will be firing this up today as well for direct heat wings.

This thread, hell yes!!!! Thanks for starting it :notworthy: What's the verdict on the PK? Was just looking at them on-line this AM and thinking about picking one up. How sturdy is the base.

The PK is legit. But I only did a quick direct heat cook to christen it last weekend, but that's what I got it for really since I have the dedicated smoker. It is a bit small, but unless you're trying to cook tons of food for 6+ people it should suffice. Smoking wise, You could do a smaller brisket on there, and with accessory racks you could do several slabs of ribs. It holds heat like a beast, as the cast aluminum walls are thick. The base is sturdy enough, but the whole thing is very simple and can break down in a jiff. I would recommend this if you're looking for a solid grill to cook for yourself and the family on. Nothing beats grill flavor IMO, and I'm at the point now where I pretty much refuse to cook steaks, burger, etc inside on the cast iron. All in all, you get what you pay for with the PK, and it will last a lifetime I believe.
ImageT.K.C.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:43 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:Hah, same. But it's nice because you can wander away for 15-20 minute increments and help with kid duty. Also, lots of times, dinners half made for like the next week. Pork/brisket tacos, empanadas, nachos, she'll make these really awesome from scratch pizzas. Nice to have a tasty protein at the ready any night of the week. Just gotta keep finding ways to keep it from getting redundant.

You can let it rest for a good while. Typically, a minimum of 40 or so minutes would be ideal. I believe in the book he says they serve at 140 in the restaurant and that's the number he recommends. I know I'm still guilty of cutting into it too early sometimes when people want to eat.

Nice. I'll keep 140 in mind next time.

I've repurposed brisket into breakfast burritos, which are pretty killer.

I've also made some damn good soups with leftover pork butt/shoulder. I did a green chili soup, and then did my own take/version of posole, which came out great. Best thing about soups is there last a while and you can have lunches for a week.
ImageT.K.C.
natepachl
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Cool, appreciate the insight man. I'm looking for something a bit bigger, but like you, have a smoker I do all the fun stuff on.
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:47 pm

hmm there was a thread for this that tapecat started....i had a bunch of fudge on there. Love, love, love to bbq and smoke.

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:49 pm

natepachl wrote:Cool, appreciate the insight man. I'm looking for something a bit bigger, but like you, have a smoker I do all the fun stuff on.

Good deal. The small stature is the only drawback, but it should hopefully work for us for a while. But having said that, a third grill might be in my future someday. What sold me on the PK was that it heats up quick and holds steady, that my old shitty charbroiler was rusting out, that it has pretty much 5 full stars on Amazon, and that Franklin uses one at his home for his personal grilling.
ImageT.K.C.