All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
shoeless
Art Expert

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:07 pm

I received a WSM for my birthday a couple months ago......havent had a chance to try it yet. :neutral:
Im planning on giving it a go in a month when Ill actually be home for the weekend.

I love me some BBQ and ribs are my go to. Have been reading up on methods and rubs so will be keeping a close eye on this thread!
davemfan
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:40 am

Anyone with a WSM needs one of these... https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Range-W ... hermometer

I use one probe on the grate to get an accurate temp and usually the other in the food i'm cooking. WSM lid temps can be waaaaay off. I've seen my lid be 100 degrees off before when using my Maverick. Having accurate temps greatly helps when cooking consistent food time after time.
ImageImageImage
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:43 am

davemfan wrote:Anyone with a WSM needs one of these... https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Range-W ... hermometer

I use one probe on the grate to get an accurate temp and usually the other in the food i'm cooking. WSM lid temps can be waaaaay off. I've seen my lid be 100 degrees off before when using my Maverick. Having accurate temps greatly helps when cooking consistent food time after time.
That's the same one I have and I love it
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:51 am

This is what I use for my secondary temp checks. Super fast and dish washer safe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002GE2X ... ref=plSrch
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:31 pm

piper27 wrote:Love my Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5. I use Kingsford charcoal and start it with my chimney. No crappy lighter fluid taste and they are white hot in 15 mins. My Redi Chek is what I use to measure smoker true temperature and meat internal temp. It's wireless and the best add on investment. I use amazingribs.com for all their free rub recipes and their website is a wealth of knowledge on smoking.

I'm an amazongribs.com fan as well. I like meatheads Memphis dust rub, but I always do a slab or just salt and pepper, which while amazingly simple, it does turn out a great end result.

After wrapping the brisket yesterday I switched woods from oak to orange for my ribs, and I thought the orange imparted a nice mild smokiness that complimented the pork well.
ImageT.K.C.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:29 pm

This thread is making me hungry.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:00 pm

bryndavies wrote:
piper27 wrote:Love my Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5. I use Kingsford charcoal and start it with my chimney. No crappy lighter fluid taste and they are white hot in 15 mins. My Redi Chek is what I use to measure smoker true temperature and meat internal temp. It's wireless and the best add on investment. I use amazingribs.com for all their free rub recipes and their website is a wealth of knowledge on smoking.

I'm an amazongribs.com fan as well. I like meatheads Memphis dust rub, but I always do a slab or just salt and pepper, which while amazingly simple, it does turn out a great end result.

After wrapping the brisket yesterday I switched woods from oak to orange for my ribs, and I thought the orange imparted a nice mild smokiness that complimented the pork well.
Memphis Dust is my go to pork rub. I use it on my ribs and butts. I'll have to try that orange wood. I've only used cherry wood so far
davemfan
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Try some Pecan wood. It's my favorite.
ImageImageImage
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:37 pm

davemfan wrote:Try some Pecan wood. It's my favorite.

That's on the top my my list for next time.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Chunks or chips? I've been using chunks. Anyone have an opinion one vs the other?
bryndavies
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:55 pm

I prefer chunks. The chips just seem like a waste. But in using chunks, those are also my main heat source for cooking with a bit of lump royal oak added into the mix. Logs are nice to for smoking depending on your setup.

Last night I put some Royal oak in the chimney, then put hickory chunks on top. I let it burn down a bit and used that mix for direct heat grilling of wings. They turned out great with good smokey flavor with the crispness of direct heat.
ImageT.K.C.
erba
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 pm

I think I have a new favorite thread. Great stuff so far.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 pm

I have never tried direct heat cooking with my smoker. I always go for the easy way out and "click, click, boom" the LP grill. I'll have to give it a try.
SteveGo
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 pm

If you cook any type of meat on a grill, do yourselves a favor and get a Thermapen. By far the best probe thermometer you can buy.
caleb
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:56 pm

davemfan wrote:Anyone with a WSM needs one of these... https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Range-W ... hermometer

Thanks for this, love my wsm, had it for a few years now and never really trusted the thermometer on it. I use a probe for the meat temp but this would be a better solution.