All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
piper27
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 am

Ain't nobody got time to wrap ribs. I smoke heavy the first hour, then continue to cook @225-250 for 4 hrs. Last hour I baste bbq sauce once, then pull em off at the 6 hr mark.
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 pm

piper27 wrote:Ain't nobody got time to wrap ribs.
Agree 100%. I don't wrap anything... just wait the extra time and enjoy the better texture!
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Fellas, try 275-300. You'll get a great result in a much shorter time.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:29 am

Had these delivered today. A beautifully handcrafted leather knife roll and apron, with my logo on it!
The quality and craftsmanship on these are next level. The bloke that makes them is Mick from Maka Leathergoods, google it. I believe he ships internationally too!

kcn0
Art Expert

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

Wow! That is next level BBQ'ing
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 am

another cook up today. This time brisket slices and burnt ends! Did a wagyu 9+ marble score, and a run of the mill brisket that was half the price, to compare. The wagyu flat was certainly better, but I thought there was little difference between the points. The cheaper brisket flat was still pretty great too.
Also smoked a few sausages because they are always good.

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 am

Your posts are stunning wotta. I do a few ribs on my charcoal grill and feel like I'm a king, you are seriously next level. I do worry about your health and imagine you as a 400 lb Australian monster, but that's besides the point. :lol:

But do you worry at all about the cancer risks associated with the charred outside that you often achieve? The HCAs and PAHs apparently skyrocket on meat cooked this way. Maybe this isn't the place for this question but as it appears you eat this stuff all the time...
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:47 pm

That looks awesome. How much did that Wagyu brisket set you back :lol: ? I figure the whole point of BBQ historically is taking a cheap, tough meat and turning it to greatness with time and effort. (Plus I'm too cheap for that.) I watched a video where a guy tried a dry aged brisket, so maybe that should be your next experiment. :)
What kind of knife are you using there? I just ordered a 12" slicer, boning knife and butcher paper for my next go.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

I have been cooking a lot lately, as I'm trying to nail down techniques for if I ever want to try catering.
But given all this smoking, I actually eat very little of it. I'm always cooking for friends. I've talked to many other people that do this stuff for a living, and it applies to every one of them too.
We spend 10+ hours tending a fire etc, to then never really eat the end result. It takes it out of us.

For yesterday's cook (above) I had one brisket slice and two burnt ends myself. That's it, from 15kg of brisket. Didn't even have a sausage.
It's a weird thing but by the end of the day you just never really feel that hungry for it.
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:06 pm

so when I'm down under later this year, where do I need to go in order to get some of them smoked meats
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:10 pm

It really is just your passion - I respect passion. :notworthy:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:12 pm

KSUvet wrote:That looks awesome. How much did that Wagyu brisket set you back :lol: ? I figure the whole point of BBQ historically is taking a cheap, tough meat and turning it to greatness with time and effort. (Plus I'm too cheap for that.) I watched a video where a guy tried a dry aged brisket, so maybe that should be your next experiment. :)
What kind of knife are you using there? I just ordered a 12" slicer, boning knife and butcher paper for my next go.
The Wagyu was $160 aud (110 usd). And yeah, the whole origin was to use cheap cuts. There has been a big push towards this marbled meat lately here in Australia so I simply wanted to compare it, especially for catering reasons. Now I know I can just use the cheaper cuts and charge less for it, as I know the results will still be great.
In Aaron Franklin's book he has a small passage on dry aged brisket and basically says to avoid it, that it's terrible haha. So I will.

That brisket knife is just a cheapy from Australia's largest hardware store chain, cost me $10. For trimming etc I use Wusthof knives though.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:15 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:It really is just your passion - I respect passion. :notworthy:
Yep that's it
Yesterday I was up at 5am. Got the fire going and sat out in the shed with my dog, had a coffee and put a podcast on. It's very quiet where I live and I enjoy that
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:16 pm

Ya quit yer job to do dis full time?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Nah this is just weekend stuff. If it ever took off, I could take days off my regular job no worries. Although I have regular work (been in my current job for 12 years) I'm self employed, so I can take days off without notice.

Yesterday was a public holiday here.