All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm

So I believe I have found the secret to brisket. I have had many talks with aussie pitmasters and they all say the same thing - it's all in how you rest and hold.
So last week I purchased a holding cabinet. It's massive, and not very cheap unfortunately. This weekend I gave it it's first run. On saturday I cooked a brisket that was on the lean side, was small and mishapen, and I overcooked it a little. I wasn't happy with it.

It came off the pit at 2:00pm, rested it on a bench (still wrapped) til 3:30pm, then put it in the cabinet at 150F. Left it in there for 25 hours.
When I opened it up to slice I couldn't believe the bark was still there, and all the moisture had been absorbed by the brisket. I could hardly slice it, it was that moist and tender. Still had it's shape but wouldnt break with any resistance.

it's a game changer

KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Speaking of game changers, I knew there had to be a better way than scissors or stabbing with a knife!

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:08 am

Me again

schmoff
Art Expert

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:20 pm

send me some mail order please
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Chicken has been kind of hit or miss for me, but I was really happy with this batch. Bite-through skin without any extra prep steps, extra cooking equipment (straight on the grate), or direct grilling phase ftw!
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Forgot about this thread!
A mate and I are close to signing a lease for a bbq shop... big decision though. He's keen, I am too but have my concerns (mainly around time and commitments)
TiWill

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Hello everyone, I really need your help and advice. My sister and I are going to buy a smoker as a birthday present for our dad, but we got completely lost. We consider buying Char-Griller 1224 (https://grillguru.org/best-offset-smoker/#product10), if you know something about it, or you use it, please write to me. It’s a little pricey for us, so we wanna make really good present.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:32 am

Hey guys

Took the plunge with a pellet smoker. Looking for something to cut my teeth on (not literally hopefully)

Any ideas? I was thinking pork butt or shoulder because they are easier to find and not so spendy. Any advice?

TIA
kansasbbq
Art God

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:46 pm

wottagunn wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:59 pm
A mate and I are close to signing a lease for a bbq shop... big decision though. He's keen, I am too but have my concerns (mainly around time and commitments)
Go for it!
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:57 pm

ha cheers mate. But yeh, im thinking I should. Dont want to miss the opportunity and regret it one day.
here's the place. needs a little work, but the outdoor space is gold. Hard to come by in town and we can put the smoker out there. We have a quote for this smoker.

DMBfan
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Wow! That smoker is nuts. Sounds like a killer new adventure...keep us updated!
shoeless
Art Expert

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:48 am

Yea wotta, you need to do that!
pvecchi wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:32 am
Hey guys

Took the plunge with a pellet smoker. Looking for something to cut my teeth on (not literally hopefully)

Any ideas? I was thinking pork butt or shoulder because they are easier to find and not so spendy. Any advice?

TIA
Definitely a butt/shoulder. Just remember to cook to meat temp...not time. Get that IT to 203, pull it off, wrap with foil and a towel, throw it in a cooler for an hour then shred. I’d suggest not anticipating it for dinner with friends or family waiting as it could take longer than expected.
Gonna do one tmrw for some pulled pork nachos.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am

so if I did open a bbq joint, do you think this menu would do the job?
you guys know bbq best so id love to hear opinions on menu options, readability, structure etc. Is there any big ticket items im missing? I figure I could run more speciality items like beef cheek and pork belly as a once-a-month special etc
I know it's common in the States to order meats by weight, but that is not the case over here. I could do it but im afraid we would get a lot of questions like "how much brisket will feed x amount of people?"
any comments at all, please fire away!

ignore pricing too, its AUD and what we would charge (maybe a little tweaking)

KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:26 am

wottagunn wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am
so if I did open a bbq joint, do you think this menu would do the job?
you guys know bbq best so id love to hear opinions on menu options, readability, structure etc. Is there any big ticket items im missing? I figure I could run more speciality items like beef cheek and pork belly as a once-a-month special etc
I know it's common in the States to order meats by weight, but that is not the case over here. I could do it but im afraid we would get a lot of questions like "how much brisket will feed x amount of people?"
any comments at all, please fire away!

ignore pricing too, its AUD and what we would charge (maybe a little tweaking)

So I'll be the voice of dissent and say that this seems to be a terrible time to me to open a restaurant with the uncertainty of the pandemic unless you have play money and can afford for it to go under. Isn't the rate of new restaurant failure pretty high in normal circumstances?

As for the menu, I think a lot of places around here offer ham although I never order it. It would be pretty easy if there was interest. I don't see burnt ends, which is an automatic fail here. There's a place around here that's known for brisket nachos, which is fun if even as a rotating item. I would maybe add some sandwich options because it doesn't really require much extra effort. The top place in KC is known for a brisket sandwich with provolone and fried onion ring. There's nothing complicated about it, but it's a big deal.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:23 pm

The pandemic is actually a great reason to open for us. It's practically non existent here (we know it can return) but it allows us to get the lease at a huge discount. As the lease terms are 2+ years, we feel it's a great time to bounce.
Takeaway options are going crazy here too. I'm booked out each week doing takeaway from my home.

Burnt ends aren't a good option financially - too much handling. Sandwiches are great though! I think we could definitely work some in. Thanks!