All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn

Fri May 11, 2018 7:08 am

wottagunn wrote:Picked up 3 racks of these beautiful ribs yesterday

Image
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
User avatar
wottagunn
Art Expert
Posts: 5476
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Near Melbourne

Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 am

Alright fellas, this is it. The best steak I've ever had. Yesterday I reverse seared 3 x 1kg t-bone steaks. First time trying it and definitely won't be the last.
Bit of rub, then smoked at 275 for 45 mins. Took out at 130 IT and then seared them on the grill for a few seconds.
Absoultey drymounting nuts. Try it out if you haven't.

Image
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn

Sun May 27, 2018 11:01 am

Damn Wotta that looks great. I'm definitely trying that with my next steaks!

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
Posts: 12340
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Thu May 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Guys,

Looking for a electric smoker. I know it's not the method used here, however, for a convenience standpoint here it's what were gonna do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGF97D0/?c ... _lig_dp_it

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMRXYCE/?c ... _lig_dp_it


Can anyone offer insight to either? Or similar ones for that matter.


Also, then I'm assuming going to need a meat thermometer?

Can someone get this young jedi in training squared away with a "starter pack of things needed" if you will.
Image
User avatar
piper27
Art Expert
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm
Location: Stewart, Mn

Thu May 31, 2018 5:18 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Redi-Ch ... B009ITJT92


https://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C

This is the set up I run. Definitely works great. I have had mine for about 5 years now
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
Posts: 12340
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Thu May 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Cheers!
Image
User avatar
dero316
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:59 am

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:31 am

soam24 wrote:Guys,
Looking for a electric smoker. I know it's not the method used here, however, for a convenience standpoint here it's what were gonna do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGF97D0/?c ... _lig_dp_it
I've used this one for ~5yrs now and love it. I should say, you NEED the cold smoker attachment if you want to have enough smoke to really get the job done. I used it for a year or so before finding out about the attachment and I'm so glad I did.

I have 2 temp probes dropped down into the smoker through the top vent. The temp varies a little from bottom shelf to top shelf so I like to know what each one is at. I use them for both meat temps and smoker temps.

I have a firebox smoker also, but I end up using the electric more due to the heat/rain in FL.

This is what my setup looks like, cold smoker attachment is the small box on the right.
Image
User avatar
jmagee87
Art Expert
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am

Jumped on the pellet grill bandwagon this past week. Got a RecTec Mini from a buddy. This thing is amazing. Easily the best thing I've done outdoor cooking on. Smoked a pork butt and some tenderloins this week as well as grilled some brats and sausage. Super versatile grill/smoker.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 18135
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:02 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
Posts: 12340
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Ok, ended up buying a smoker and put it to use twice already.

First we did a tri-tip. Internal temp was 129 per what I found, felt like it could have gone to 135 maybe. Overall, not bad.

Second, STL ribs from costco - cooked at 225 to get the internal temp up to 192, almost 6 hours of cooking. I personally liked them, others said they were a little off, however, they are also super picky.


Can anyone share good recipes sites / tips / tricks.

thanks everyone.
Image
User avatar
wottagunn
Art Expert
Posts: 5476
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Near Melbourne

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:28 pm

For almost every cut of meat, I have pretty much exclusively used a salt and pepper rub. However recently, I have moved on to SPG (salt, pepper, garlic) and have very much enjoyed it.
Occasionally I will add paprika/cayenne for some colour.

I highly recommend cooking sausages and burgers in them too. They turn out drymounting amazing, and are a good snack before the main event. They usually only take around 45 mins to cook.



I'm still considering picking up a 24" beast on a trailer. I have been chatting with a fabricator that is eager to get started, but money is the issue right now. It's not exactly cheap.
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
Posts: 12340
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 pm

wottagunn wrote:For almost every cut of meat, I have pretty much exclusively used a salt and pepper rub. However recently, I have moved on to SPG (salt, pepper, garlic) and have very much enjoyed it.
Occasionally I will add paprika/cayenne for some colour.

I highly recommend cooking sausages and burgers in them too. They turn out drymounting amazing, and are a good snack before the main event. They usually only take around 45 mins to cook.



I'm still considering picking up a 24" beast on a trailer. I have been chatting with a fabricator that is eager to get started, but money is the issue right now. It's not exactly cheap.

Plan on burgers and sausage this weekend!
Image
pvecchi
Art Expert
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:03 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-D40 ... ref=plSrch

Is something like this stupid to get?
User avatar
davemfan
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:27 am

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 pm

pvecchi wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-D40 ... ref=plSrch

Is something like this stupid to get?
It's all up to you and what you want to do with it. If you like a true "set it and forget it" cooker then get an electric or pellet smoker. Insulated cabinets are also pretty much much set it and forget it but cost quite a bit more than what you posted.

Do you want to be messing with charcoal and / or wood? What's your budget?
ImageImageImage
pvecchi
Art Expert
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:17 pm

davemfan wrote:
pvecchi wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-D40 ... ref=plSrch

Is something like this stupid to get?
It's all up to you and what you want to do with it. If you like a true "set it and forget it" cooker then get an electric or pellet smoker. Insulated cabinets are also pretty much much set it and forget it but cost quite a bit more than what you posted.

Do you want to be messing with charcoal and / or wood? What's your budget?
My budget is in the $400-$500 range. I have two small children (runners) and don’t really want a lot of back and forth and tinkering with things with them around. The set it and forget it aspect and being able to monitor it from the outside appeals to me and I’ve been told to stay away from the propane. I figure the electric might get me good control.

I just want to cook a few briskets and racks of ribs now and then but I don’t want to spend the weekend tied too much to something. Last time I tried smoking somethings was indirect on a large Weber charcoal grill and I don’t have time or inclination to do that regularly.
Post Reply