Stock Market Discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:09 pm

^ Ha!

bubbie wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm
jjttdw wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:55 pm
#buydogecoin

If you bought at the 52 weeks low, a $100k investment would be worth $4M

That’s true
Although, if you bought a $100k worth of GME 52 weeks ago and some options with that to boot... Pretty sure my calculator would break if I tried to figure out last week’s worth. Luls.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:00 pm
sixstringer wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:31 pm
Codeblue wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:14 pm
sixstringer wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:10 pm
^this

stonks for dummies.
Not sure if yer supporting or ridiculing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
^support.

When I turned 18 (several decades ago) I set up a weekly auto-invest into a 70/30 split of exactly those two kinds of funds. Best thing I ever did.
Noice! Wish I had done the same. My grandfather was a big time investor in Vanguard funds back when I was way too young to care, and he tried to teach me the ways. If only I'd listened then. Oof.
buncha silver spoon MFers. I'm not even sure my parents / grandparents knew vanguard as a noun much less an investment fund.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm

^Ha I wish! Nobody taught me about $ growing up. My folks were pretty terrible with finances actually. That's probably what motivated me.

edit: P.S. the weekly auto invest was like $25. I had a job at Little Caesars pizza when I opened the account. Def not silver spoon.
Last edited by sixstringer on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:25 pm

I wish I would have invested in property in the 90’s after I graduated high school. These west coast prices these days.
mmmm Beer :pint:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Luls. My grandpappy was anything but a silver spooner. He was the first person in the family (that I'm aware of) that made real money through investing. He was a high school principal.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:29 pm

One of my grandfathers was a farmer and he was dead before I was born and the other was an auto worker. Not sure either had a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:37 pm

My aha moment was when I discovered Don Lapre infomercials in the early 90's and I'm not even joking. Oh, and also William J. McCorkle the real estate guru. They were more influential on me than anyone in my family as far as finances. I never bought the tapes but I would study those commercials for hours and they def got the ol juices flowing.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:38 pm

How's about a chart for PTON? Someone I know is about to sell his stake before earnings are announced.

Edit: He sold before the announcement. Looks like a good call.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:10 pm

bubbie wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:35 pm
Still holding VFF. Can’t help the feeling I am going to loose some good gains here, lol.
Checked out at $19, current 52 high. Not sure if that was the right move, but whatevs. While it was climbing all day, volume moved in close to the end. Will probably fly tomorrow, lol.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Who is going to find me an (very) undervalued ganja stock to cuddle with for a while?
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:08 pm

It's not that one is better than the other funds vs stock trading. If you know what you are doing stock trading will always beat fund investing. But if you don't understand support and resistance levels and how to apply stop losses properly and take profit at proper levels, then yes you should probably put your money into a fund. It's passive vs active. Someone said on another page that 'stocks are for dummies' it's just not true and there is no need to disparage either approach. It really matters what your goals are. If you want to focus on building widgets and don't want to pay attention to markets then go for the funds, if you want to focus on learning technical analysis and or fundamental analysis and learn how the markets operate then individual stocks are great. I always try to hedge my stock positions, so I am long and short on the same ticker extracting money from the market in both directions. I use stop losses, and only risk 1-2% of my account size on any trade. So if the market dumps like in March I am out, I took a small loss but then I entered again much lower. To trade you have to learn to leave your emotions out of it, where as in funds you ask someone else to do that. Emotions are very strong, to most seeing a stock go down is scary and they often sell at the wrong time. You can tell a trader to buy the blood and sell into exuberance but they will do the opposite over and over again. For me I find or someone shows me something and if the trade makes sense in my system, I take it. First I find where my trade will be invalidated and set my stop loss then calculate how many shares I can buy, based on 1-2% loss, set profit targets and that's it, I move onto the next ticker. Same thing with crypto, and often while these trades are doing their thing, I am trading one minute candles on the NQ, ES or RTY.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:18 pm

sixstringer wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:10 pm
^this

stonks for dummies.
cktbreaker wrote:
Someone said on another page that 'stocks are for dummies' it's just not true and there is no need to disparage either approach. It really matters what your goals are.
Just to clarify...I think maybe you misinterpreted my comment. I was just agreeing with blue that index funds like SPY are a decent bet if you want to get long in the market and don't have the knowledge or desire to fudge around with individual stonks i.e. stonks for dummies (like me.) I agree with your post...apples and oranges.
Last edited by sixstringer on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Man I really want to add the skill set you (ckt) just described and get to work.
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
papaver
Tech Team Member

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 pm

cktbreaker wrote:
It's not that one is better than the other funds vs stock trading. If you know what you are doing stock trading will always beat fund investing.
hilarious. don't kid yourself.

"Now I have the final tally — and in several respects it’s an eye-opener," he wrote in his newly released Berkshire Hathaway letter to shareholders. Results from the S&P 500 index fund easily beat the hedge-fund rivals." -- Warren Buffett

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ma ... 402823002/