Stock Market Discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm

papaver wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 pm
cktbreaker wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:08 pm
It's not that one is better than the other funds vs stock trading. If you know what you are doing stock trading will always beat fund investing.
hilarious. don't kid yourself.

"Now I have the final tally — and in several respects it’s an eye-opener," he wrote in his newly released Berkshire Hathaway letter to shareholders. Results from the S&P 500 index fund easily beat the hedge-fund rivals." -- Warren Buffett

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ma ... 402823002/
Why is there so much vitriol over everything. Where did I ever say Hedge funds? I said I hedge my positions quite a bit different than a hedge fund. Warren Buffet "I was wrong on Google and 'too dumb' to appreciate Amazon. And please excuse me sixstringer for misinterpreting your comment.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:58 pm

it's not vitriol, just another opinion that's backed with fact and an actual experiment rather than just words. specifically your suggestion that "If you know what you are doing stock trading will always beat fund investing."

not sure what that your warren quote is suggesting, i guess let's ignore the other $100B he's made with the other 1000s of investments he's got right.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:31 pm

Your comment "hilarious. don't kid yourself" is vitriol. Read your own link from USA today. Down toward the bottom it reads.

"Why the difference? The higher investor-borne expenses charged by hedge-fund managers likely were key. Hedge-fund managers don't merely take a share of the overall capital gains (in the range of 20 percent) but charge sizable ongoing expenses averaging 2% or so yearly." "That's in comparison to typical index-fund fees of around 0.2%, if not lower."

I don't pay anything to hedge my position, absolute ZERO cost to me. When I hedge all that I am doing is opening a short position and now with zero fees (stocks) I pay zero, to do my trades.

Buffet also went long after a depression from 2008, that lead to a bull market for 10 or 11 years now, much different that a sideways or bear market.

Please don't be combative over something that you don't understand. I'm happy blue and six are making money on their funds. I just want to talk about everyone making some money, that's all there is, no argument here.

It's also not about the total amount in fiat, it's about percentage of profit to the size of your investment or trade. Ok. I'm over this back and fourth with you. Let's move on and make money together.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:51 pm

cktbreaker wrote: And please excuse me sixstringer for misinterpreting your comment.
It’s all good,man.
liptonsweettea
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 am

Bought it since when it was $0.02
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:01 am

^ Lol. From reddit:

Good for you though, mate. No pun intended.

What’s happening in 3 months?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:17 am

The truth of the matter is that active investors (and especially actively managed funds) more often than not don't beat the market over the long term. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, and some active traders can go on a "good run", but it usually doesn't last over the long term (20+ years). With that being said, if you really know what you're doing, and plan on making it a part/full time job, you may be able to outperform over the long haul. It's just not that easy.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:41 am

I am with ckt.

I do what I do and have the “long” accounts. Sometimes money moves from one to the other, but the “long” side usually sits above 50 split. All depends on time availability, opportunity, mood, etc. The “do what I do” often outperforms the “long” side and sometimes significantly. The past 10 or so months have especially been a drymounting dandy (fingers crossed, knock on wood and whatever else goes with that). I dump the “long” side occasionally too if I feel like a correction is coming. Usually it is a rare occurrence, but last year was an exception and it got dumped a few times (and paid off bigly). Most of it has no tax implications due to the nature of the accounts, so going in and out isn’t overly complicated. I will leave it at that.

Talking about stonks, mr. Musk made himself the richest man in the world by playing just one single stonk! Luls.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 am

bubbie wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:01 am
^ Lol. From reddit:

Good for you though, mate. No pun intended.

What’s happening in 3 months?
I now see I copied the wrong post, lol. Doubt I will now be able to find the right one, but it was pretty much identical but with the ALYI ticker.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:50 am

cktbreaker wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:10 pm
Bubbie, Can you trade TSXV? I can not.
Meant to ask and forgot. Why not?
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 pm

$DMTK check it out.
Insurance-approved non-invasive skin cancer testing. it's like cologard but for skin cancer/moles.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Could have made another buck on VFF today, as expected. Will be watching for another point to enter if it dips (could be a while though if at all, imo).

cktbreaker wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:10 pm
Bubbie, Can you trade TSXV? I can not. Look at this one. EGLD Eclipse gold mining
Thought about it more, looked at the numbers. It should climb this month, imo.

Placed an order at $0.495 in the morning, above market ($0.48) and the asks I could see (market). It is sitting at $0.5 now and my order is still active. Lol. No one wants my money today.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:05 pm

cktbreaker wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Closed that MDWD, just to impatient and wanted to put the money to work somewhere else.
Took a while but it worked, slowly climbing. I forgot about this one after I sold and didn’t follow.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:33 pm

Added some more NIO early last week at mid $55’s. Wouldn’t surprise me if it closes at $60 eow. I know nothing and I’m far from an advisor (including prints)
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:15 pm

^ Good on you. Probably before the end of the week.

Should have listened to myself and hold on to VFF, lol.