Page 15 of 25

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 pm
by RambosRemodeler
biglemoncoke wrote:
novascotiapower wrote:Hey there! This isn't a call out, just a question. If a seller demands you use the friends and family option for a PayPal transaction, and cancels your deal when you say you'll be using the goods and services option, what's the reasoning there? I offered to pay the fees no problem, seller got agitated and told me no deal. Fine by me, because it seemed sketchy as hell. Is there any reason to ask for friends/family other than trying to rip some off?
never pay using gift, if things go south you're SOL.
Not if ya got that CC back up.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 pm
by iwokeinrelief
novascotiapower wrote:Hey there! This isn't a call out, just a question. If a seller demands you use the friends and family option for a PayPal transaction, and cancels your deal when you say you'll be using the goods and services option, what's the reasoning there? I offered to pay the fees no problem, seller got agitated and told me no deal. Fine by me, because it seemed sketchy as hell. Is there any reason to ask for friends/family other than trying to rip some off?
As long as you're offering to cover fees I can't think of a single legitimate reason to insist on you using friends and family. Sketchy as hell.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:27 pm
by Codeblue
Sounds like a callout to me. What's the EBer's name?

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:29 pm
by novascotiapower
iwokeinrelief wrote:
novascotiapower wrote:Hey there! This isn't a call out, just a question. If a seller demands you use the friends and family option for a PayPal transaction, and cancels your deal when you say you'll be using the goods and services option, what's the reasoning there? I offered to pay the fees no problem, seller got agitated and told me no deal. Fine by me, because it seemed sketchy as hell. Is there any reason to ask for friends/family other than trying to rip some off?
As long as you're offering to cover fees I can't think of a single legitimate reason to insist on you using friends and family. Sketchy as hell.
I thought so. I was actually lucky enough to have a nice seller explain the friends and family vs goods and services to me during my first purchase. It just struck me as strange that a seller would get so pissed off about it... unless they are trying to rip people off... which is the logical conclusion.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:48 pm
by TKuczynski
Taxes

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:57 pm
by novascotiapower
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:59 pm
by Kramerica
novascotiapower wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
Bought a set of Taylor Bounty Hunter prints from a guy who used that as an excuse. He did agree to ship half the set to me before I had to pay though.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:00 pm
by novascotiapower
Kramerica wrote:
novascotiapower wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
Bought a set of Taylor Bounty Hunter prints from a guy who used that as an excuse. He did agree to ship half the set to me before I had to pay though.
At least you're both taking a risk on that one though, that's respectable.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:00 pm
by TKuczynski
Yea I didn't say it's by any means an acceptable excuse, but it's the go-to I've heard many times

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:04 pm
by novascotiapower
TKuczynski wrote:Yea I didn't say it's by any means an acceptable excuse, but it's the go-to I've heard many times
Word! I wasn't trying to sound snarky or sarcastic or anything. And you were right, that is the excuse this person tried to use.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:24 am
by admhall

Selling Spusta's now

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:53 am
by virtualj
novascotiapower wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
Cousin works for the IRS as an auditor. If anyone thinks your responsibility to pay taxes disappears if you don't get that form from PayPal, you're drymounting stupid.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:31 pm
by mattkardish
deduct hobby losses against hobby gains...IRS auditors are just protecting their pensions...

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm
by nomdeguerre
mattkardish wrote:deduct hobby losses against hobby gains...IRS auditors are just protecting their pensions...
Can't take a loss every year or it's not a hobby. Gift payments count as income when it comes to an audit. Everything is electronically documented and it only takes an algorithm to set your audit appointment, not a human.

Re: FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:08 pm
by mattkardish
nomdeguerre wrote:
mattkardish wrote:deduct hobby losses against hobby gains...IRS auditors are just protecting their pensions...
Can't take a loss every year or it's not a hobby. Gift payments count as income when it comes to an audit. Everything is electronically documented and it only takes an algorithm to set your audit appointment, not a human.
i am aware --- hence the losses only to the extent of gains, not to go below zero. if you're trying to take a loss on selling posters then that is quite an aggressive strategy