Homeowner Life

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm

anyone have experience or guidance on what to expect for composite decking prices with installation?

I have ~600sq/ft of decking I'd like to replace with composite. Quotes I'm getting are all over the place and seem really high
piper27
Art Expert

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:12 pm

That stuff is super expensive by itself. I quoted a deck from Menards for just materials. The ultra decking was twice the cost of AC2.
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
golobulus
Art Expert

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:38 pm

LOL at:
mlinderer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm
My wife doesn't seem to think that leaving the garage door open that opens to a dark alley in Chicago which has scrap hauling trucks pass through every hour is that big of deal.
Every night when I lock up I always check the garage door too. It's funny how sometimes I find it open because whoever came in last wasn't worried about closing it. It's usually my wife too :D
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:37 am

theperfecttree wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm
anyone have experience or guidance on what to expect for composite decking prices with installation?

I have ~600sq/ft of decking I'd like to replace with composite. Quotes I'm getting are all over the place and seem really high
I recently put down 680 sq ft of trex. It cost $5100 for the trex decking, screws, and hidden clip system, delivered. It took me solo about 6 days to do the install, I took my time. Plus depends on how technical the cuts are. I just picture framed it and laid all the boards in one direction, made sense for the space. If you wanted a carpenter to do the install, in California it would prob have cost $35-40 per/hr per man. Plus workmens comp. if they don't have their own insurance.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Trex is expensive, no way around it. Because of this, I would rather spend more $ to have someone familiar with deck/trek work do it to avoid a miscut or some other bad mistake on my end costing me even more $ and hassle.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:28 pm

thanks for all the helpful responses. 3 of the 4 companies I talked to defaulted to using trex like it was the main product they install. After looking into it more not sure I need something that high end (ie expensive). Other contractor recommended Calibamboo's composite and he was a lot cheaper than the rest.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:15 am

One issue with composite decking is that it gets hot in the sun. If you go with something like redwood, (yes its a limited source) but it is weather resistant and stays cooler in the sun. Its often possible to goto a local mill and have them cut redwood board to length, much cheaper than composite. With composite you need to put shoes on to walk on it when its in the hot sun. I would stay away from PVC decking. To me it looks to become a bit chalky after some years in the elements. In the lower end PVC it has a definite repetitive pattern and looks cheap.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:21 am

theperfecttree wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:28 pm
thanks for all the helpful responses. 3 of the 4 companies I talked to defaulted to using trex like it was the main product they install. After looking into it more not sure I need something that high end (ie expensive). Other contractor recommended Calibamboo's composite and he was a lot cheaper than the rest.
I can't speak to Calibamboo's decking but, I have installed Calibamboo engineered flooring and it is a top notch product. It looks great, you can't ding it with a hammer, the pieces were a little short at 3 ft. So watch the length of the products available. If you end up with something that only comes in short lengths you will have seams all over the place, which actually reduces the strength of the platform. Trex comes in 20ft sections.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm

good thinking on checking the lengths. looks like Cali comes in 8 or 16ft. 8 should work ok for us if we go that route.

definitely worried about the boards heating up as the deck gets Texas sun all day. it's an ok trade off for us since the composite will last so long and requires almost no maintenance.