Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ontheDL
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:41 pm

LOLOL

I think it'll sound just fine. And if you install it yourself(I know, I know...it should be pretty easy in your car though) you won't pay anything and it'll give you something to be proud of! Probably also worth mentioning that for $50 you won't be getting a CD player. But that doesn't even matter because it's not 2002 anymore.

If you're not planning on selling your car anytime soon...just install the stereo. I don't even know how you made it this long. Or maybe just getting rid of your iPhone would be easier. I have a razr I could sell you super cheap.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:40 am

Just pre-ordered the new Apple TV! I had been wanting one forever, but kept waiting on a refresh.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Sold a few posters and bought a Macbook Pro with Retina display. Should've done this a long time ago. Love love love love love it.
DickButt
Art Expert

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:28 pm

My wife has said the same white Macbook at least 6 years, and it's on its last legs. Battery expanded and had to be taken out years ago, OS is out of date since it can't handle the new ones, screen flickers on and off depending on how it's positioned...thinking about getting the iMac deal Best Buy will have for Black Friday. $900 for the 21.5" model (saving $200). Our thinking is its a better long-term investment than the 13.3" Macbook Pro that will be on sale for the same price because our daughter is 6 and will soon need some sort of computer for school, etc.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:31 pm

Consider going refurbished. The Apple Certification process means that refurbs are more rigorously tested than new machines and have new batteries/cases. They look and work just like new. Can't tell the difference.
DickButt
Art Expert

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:06 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Consider going refurbished. The Apple Certification process means that refurbs are more rigorously tested than new machines and have new batteries/cases. They look and work just like new. Can't tell the difference.
Great idea, thank you. I always am aware of refurbs but never think to consider them, but with Apple that is definitely a smart way to go.
Creation88
Art Expert

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Apple: great until you update your software
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:40 am

So I am looking to get either an iphone 6s or iphone se. The former will cost me 140 with a two-year plan; the latter will cost me nada. Both are 64 gb and the plan is identical. The plan is actually great, which is the only reason I am in this situation. I do not really give a drymount about the 3d-touch and the fact that the front camera is much worse on the se. The only reason I am leaning towards the 6s is due to it being larger (that's what she said!). I did read a few reviews indicating that battery life is significantly worse on the 6s compared to the se. Battery life is important. Is the battery life really that bad on the 6s? Is the larger screen worth $140?

Thanks for any comments/opinions/advice!
NoseSpray
Art Expert

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:19 am

1000% get the 6S. I had an SE for a few days, got rid of it. I liked the form factor, but the 6/6S aren't really THAT much larger than the 5/5S/SE. The SE also has the 5/5S' old TouchID sensor (slow). The 6S' is supafast.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:27 am

So the new Macbook Pros are crazy expensive and don't have HDMI ports. Anybody know if a thunderbolt cord can plug right into a TV or is a 'to hdmi' adapter needed?

Not a fan of port minimization. Gimme all the ports.

Also, that touch bar looks drymounting stupid (I'm all about buttons over touch screens).
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:42 am

At first I thought the touch bar was lame, but then I thought it was useful because you can customize it.

The port thing really grinds my gears though. Guess I'm on my last Mac now.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:06 pm

RottenAtom wrote:So the new Macbook Pros are crazy expensive and don't have HDMI ports. Anybody know if a thunderbolt cord can plug right into a TV or is a 'to hdmi' adapter needed?
There are a couple of Thunderbolt to HDMI chords. But mostly just adaptors.

There have only been a very few macs that have an HDMI port built into them.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:12 pm

RottenAtom wrote:So the new Macbook Pros are crazy expensive and don't have HDMI ports. Anybody know if a thunderbolt cord can plug right into a TV or is a 'to hdmi' adapter needed?

Not a fan of port minimization. Gimme all the ports.

Also, that touch bar looks drymounting stupid (I'm all about buttons over touch screens).
I'm looking for a new laptop and was waiting for this announcement before I made my decision. The port minimization and need for adapters to do anything (even charge my iphone/ipad) may be enough for me to to grab an old MacBook Air before they get pushed off the shelves.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:24 pm

they do sell a lightning to usb-c

but i agree. its really counter intuitive.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:40 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
There are a couple of Thunderbolt to HDMI chords. But mostly just adaptors.

There have only been a very few macs that have an HDMI port built into them.
I bought a 13" Macbook Pro about a year ago and it has an HDMI port. I love it and use it all the time (both the port and MBP).

What is the best (inexpensive) way to backup all the pics, files, bookmarks, etc on my Mac?