Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:20 pm

I've never used anything else when it comes to smart phones.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Ah. I was just going to try to predict how you’d feel about iOS based on your likes/dislikes about Android. Basically:

Android: It’s my phone and I want to do whatever the hell I want with it, however the hell I want even if the UI looks like fudge and it’s [arguably]less secure.

iOS: I’m willing to give up some personal choice in the interest of privacy/security, design and products made with an entire hardware/software ecosystem in mind.

That’s the long and short of it from my perspective anyway. Others may will disagree. I’m not looking to debate. YMMV.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:20 pm

I’m not sure why you think android ui is fudge. Setting up my iPhone today and so far it’s a lot more similar to android than I was expecting other than some annoying quirks like the autocorrect thing that was complained about here already. I don’t like having to push a button to confirm I want to download an app but perhaps that can be disabled. I find the silent mode switch quite odd and unnecessary. Also not a fan of swipe up (and hold) to see open apps.

Only positive so far is Face ID, but I also feel like it’s pretty invasive. Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:31 pm

Fair enough. Tbh I haven’t payed much attention to Android in years so it stands to reason that they have cleaned up their design. If that’s the case then cool!

Don’t believe there’s a way to turn of the the download confirmation dialogue.

Agreed on the silent mode switch. Seems redundant. It’s just legacy design I guess.

You don’t have to hold the screen after you swipe up. At least, not for more than a beat just to let the system know you’re not trying to quit an app. Some people use the inverted “J” method(which quickly becomes second nature). Instead of swiping directly up and holding for a beat, you can basically swipe up and to the right slightly in one motion and that removes the need to keep your finger on the screen for any amount of time. *bonus, you can probably set a custom gesture to launch the multitasking screen instead of using the default gestures.

As for Face ID, I find it pretty convenient. Not sure it’s any more invasive than scanning your fingerprint.

Anyway, I’m sure it’ll all be muscle memory pretty quick. Sorry for the drymounting novel.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:09 am

The swipe can be both ways, left and right, it doesn’t matter. I don’t find it annoying at all and do the swipe up and hold for some tenth of a second.

The double tap to get an app is annoying as drymount, I agree.

Not sure what you mean about the silent switch.

I fixed the autocorrect issue by switching it off. I think they should shut their algorithm off and put the old one back.

Face id is nice until you put a mask on, lol. With the “new normal”, they need to put the fingerprint back in addition to the face id.

When I wanted to replace this iphone I have back in the summer, I looked at the then new samsung, whatever model it was. It had a bunch of little “annoying” things, but otherwise looked almost identical. I haven’t personally used any other smartphone but iphone myself.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:18 am

bubbie wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:09 am
Not sure what you mean about the silent switch.
There's a physical button to silence all sounds on the phone. I'm obviously an Apple nub so I'm sure I'll figure out another way of doing it, but it seems like you have to individually silence all different kinds of sounds if you don't want to use the silence switch.

Edit: I now see there's also a "do not disturb" under settings. On Android, all ya gotta do is push the volume down button enough and it will set it to do not disturb without going into a settings menu.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:18 am
Edit: I now see there's also a "do not disturb" under settings. On Android, all ya gotta do is push the volume down button enough and it will set it to do not disturb without going into a settings menu.
35mmpaul wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am
here ya go.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769
Yep. Just slide down from the top right of the screen and tap the moon icon.

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:50 pm

Yes, but why the separate physical button tho? I'd rather they left off the button off and included a charger in the fuggin box for us virgin users. Luls.
mlinderer
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 am

Anyone here have experience trying to access or send files to a Time Capsule from an android phone?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:48 am

very broad question. depends on the file. could you be more specific?

and more than likely you probably cant send it directly to a time capsule without sending it to mac desktop/laptop
mlinderer
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:53 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:48 am
very broad question. depends on the file. could you be more specific?

and more than likely you probably cant send it directly to a time capsule without sending it to mac desktop/laptop
Primary purpose would be to back up or store photos from my Samsung Galaxy 10 phone to my 3rd Gen 1TB Time Capsule. From what I've read, the TC is going to be an SMB drive and when I try to access that in "My Files" on my phone, then select "Network Storage" my phone recognizes my TC when I select SMB, but on the next screen when it ask for IP, Port, User, & Password I can't get it to connect.

I can just transfer them to my PC then copy to the TC, but thought I might try to skip a step.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm

I personally don't know without going through a computer.

Your best bet would just be to import them using image capture on a mac which should read the android as a camera.