Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:17 pm

How satisfied are you with the 4? I don't necessarily think I need the always on display but that's coming from someone who's never owned one before. Also, do you think the watch is worth the money?
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:00 pm

I’m fairly satisfied, but that’s primarily because I’m already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. I generally only use mine for notifications, mobile payments and asking Siri to create reminders on the go. The mobile/contactless payments thing is probably the most useful thing I do with it. I use it daily. If you’re asking if I think it’s worth the money objectively, I’d say it depends on what you plan to do with it and how much you can find one for. If you’re planning on using it mainly for fitness tracking and you already have an iPhone(which presumably you do) and you can pick one up on sale than you may find it worth it to have those conveniences plus the great fitness tracking tools, but I think most people could probably live without it to be honest.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:38 pm

I'm just going to use it for fitness tracking. Texts, mobile payments, calls I'll use my iPhone for. I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra on a Series 5 or if the Series 3 will be fine for what I'd be using it for? Keep in mind, I'll still wear it when not exercising, but that's my primary reason for wanting one (and just going to get the GPS model, not the cellular).
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:01 pm

How often do you update your phones/computers? Are you the type that likes to have nice things and be current or are you more the utilitarian type?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Current. As soon as an update's available, I update to it.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pm

I guess I should have said upgrade not update. I just meant if you’re the type who doesn’t really care much about tech and you’re just looking for an affordable tool to serve a purpose just get a series 3 and save some money or even wait until late September/early October when they announce the series 6 and pick up a 4 for cheap so you at least have a modern model/form factor.

Otherwise, if you tend to like to have the the best you can get and then make it last a while I’d recommend waiting for the fall event and seeing what the Series 6 has to offer and then if you’re not compelled by anything, then try and pick up a Series 5(always on display) for cheap. The always on display is a pretty significant feature if you’re used to wearing a watch. Some people find waiting for the screen to come on annoying on the previous models. It’s been one of the most requested features of the Apple Watch from day one.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Bryman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pm
I guess I should have said upgrade not update. I just meant if you’re the type who doesn’t really care much about tech and you’re just looking for an affordable tool to serve a purpose just get a series 3 and save some money or even wait until late September/early October when they announce the series 6 and pick up a 4 for cheap so you at least have a modern model/form factor.
I'm definitely planning on waiting until the Series 6 is announced and hoping to catch a Series 4 or 5 discounted. If neither are to my fancy, I'll grab a 3. I don't need the latest and greatest when it comes to this. Like I said, my primary focus will be for health/work outs and I don't wanna overpay (especially being this close to the 6 being announced). Usually Apple makes these announcements in September, but I heard with COVID-19, there could be some interruptions in their supply chain so the announcement may not come until October.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Rumor is the series 6 may have an oximeter. If you are getting it for tracking health, and this is something you are interested in, you might want to wait until the official release of the specs to see if that’s included

If not, keep your eyes open for the sales after the announcement. “Slickdeals.com” always has the deals posted
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:43 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 pm
I'm definitely planning on waiting until the Series 6 is announced and hoping to catch a Series 4 or 5 discounted. If neither are to my fancy, I'll grab a 3.
I think that’s the move.
Usually Apple makes these announcements in September, but I heard with COVID-19, there could be some interruptions in their supply chain so the announcement may not come until October.
Yep. I believe they mentioned in their earnings call that production is delayed. Now whether that means they still hold the event in September and just ship later than normal or if they push the whole event until October is what no one is sure of yet.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 pm

pvecchi wrote:
“Slickdeals.com” always has the deals posted
Thrifter.com tends to keep track of who’s offering discounts on various tech too.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:04 pm

pvecchi wrote:
If not, keep your eyes open for the sales after the announcement. “Slickdeals.com” always has the deals posted
Bryman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 pm
pvecchi wrote:
“Slickdeals.com” always has the deals posted
Thrifter.com tends to keep track of who’s offering discounts on various tech too.
Thanks for the heads up!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Nothing really major with Apple's presentation today. Leaning towards spending the extra $80 and getting the Apple Watch SE 44mm over the Series 3 42mm ($309 vs $229 price wise).
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Yeah, that’s probably the best medium between features and price.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Was planning on getting it this week but a friend who has the Apple Watch Series 4 advised holding off. I was surprised no one had discounted their Series 5 inventory to make way for the Series 6. He said he got his cheap last year after the 5 already hit stores and when they were making room for the 5, they finally discounted the 4. I'm in no rush, the new watch drops tomorrow so I can hold off a week or so and see if anyone is trying to make room and discounts the 5.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Personally I would choose a discounted 5 over an SE just for the always on display. I didn’t realize the SE doesn’t have it.