What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:53 am

hunterjax wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:Just re-read the first two Thrones books and now onto Storm of Swords for the first time.... let's see if I can finish these three before tipoff in April.
the last two should really be re-edited to make one long book - they came out so far apart but cover the same time period with different characters, I really lost the thread of a lot that was going on . . . I need to re-read the full series, but that's such a time commit.
I'm about halfway done Storm of Swords... I think it's the longest of the series so I plan on being able to finish 2.5 more books before the season starts.
RadioactiveToy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:40 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
hunterjax wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:Just re-read the first two Thrones books and now onto Storm of Swords for the first time.... let's see if I can finish these three before tipoff in April.
the last two should really be re-edited to make one long book - they came out so far apart but cover the same time period with different characters, I really lost the thread of a lot that was going on . . . I need to re-read the full series, but that's such a time commit.
I'm about halfway done Storm of Swords... I think it's the longest of the series so I plan on being able to finish 2.5 more books before the season starts.
I gotta say doing them in audiobook form is a good way to go. Going to be interesting to see what they do with the next books (if they ever come out) with Roy Dotrice passing away. I think he did a fantastic job with them and the different voices used, except Arya in the last book, IMO.
eliansbu
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I am reading Dexter Omnibus by Jeff Lindsay. All three of them actually :D cant say nothing bad about it, just read it!
Jasper73
Art Expert

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Another book my my new favorite science fiction writer.
ImageT.K.C.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Currently reading..Mr Blue: Memoirs of a Renegade

Edward Bunker is a celebrated crime author. But he was also a real life criminal and the person Jon Voight's character in HEAT is based on (Deniro & Pacino's characters were based on real people also https://filmschoolrejects.com/real-stor ... anns-heat/). He also played Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs. This book is his memoir.
Edward Bunker's life is beyond the imaginings of most fiction writers. He was born in Hollywood, California, the son of a stagehand and Busby Berkeley chorus girl, whose early divorce propelled him into a series of boarding homes and military schools. From the age of five he repeatedly ran away, roaming the city streets at night. A proud character, combined with an IQ of 152, resulted in a series of altercations with the authorities. He became the youngest ever inmate of San Quentin at the age of seventeen, and there he learned survival skills and faced down the toughest prisoners in the system. He was befriended by Mrs Louise Wallis, a former star of the silent screen and wife of movie mogul, Hal Wallis, who produced films starring Bogart, Cagney, Edward G. Robinson and George Raft. She introduced Bunker to her circle of friends, including Jack Dempsey, Tennessee Williams, Aldous Huxley and William Randolph Hearst, whose guest he was at San Simeon. A parole violation resulted in a spell crossing America as a fugitive on the FBI's most wanted list.
His eventual capture led to Folsom prison. Encouraged by the example of Dostoevsky, Cervantes and Caryl Chessman, and by the kindness of Mrs Wallis, he determined to write his way out of prison. Bunker's first published novel, No Beast So Fierce, viewed by many including Quentin Tarantino as the finest crime novel ever written, changed his fortunes. It was filmed as Straight Time, starring Dustin Hoffman. He has written three other novels, The Animal Factory, Little Boy Blue and Dog Eat Dog, (all published by No Exit) admired by writers as diverse as William Styron and James Ellroy. He received an Oscar nomination for the screenplay of Runaway Train, and has appeared in a score of films, most notably his legendary role as Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs. This blistering narrative is a memoir like no other.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:39 pm

RadioactiveToy wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:
hunterjax wrote:
I gotta say doing them in audiobook form is a good way to go. Going to be interesting to see what they do with the next books (if they ever come out) with Roy Dotrice passing away. I think he did a fantastic job with them and the different voices used, except Arya in the last book, IMO.
Audible would definitely be wayyyy too tough for me to follow the other books. I need to be completely focused when I am reading these with all the details and complexities... I tend to drift off a bit when I am using an audiobook.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 pm

Winslow fans rejoice! FX is turning the trilogy into a series :clap:
https://deadline.com/2019/03/don-winslo ... 202571186/
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:31 pm

SCREAM

Very disappointed in this book. SCREAM is not only my favorite horror movie of all-time, it's one of my favorite overall films of all-time. I enjoy the Devil's Advocate series for their film analysis and perspectives on some of the films within this genre. However, this is probably the first I've read in the series that actually denigrates the film it's reviewing/critiquing. I understand and respect criticisms, however, I'm surprised that Devil's Advocate went with this author and review as it mostly dismisses SCREAM within the horror genre. Furthermore, not much analysis of the film was given; but rather, chapters were devoted to director Wes Craven, the period it was released in, as well as the marketing of the film. Not very much of a page turner IMO and again, as this film is so near and dear to my heart, this was a very disappointing read.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:19 pm

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
chalkdust
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:50 pm

iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:29 am

ricv64 wrote:Image
Had never heard of her until I saw her exhibit at MoMA the Guggenheim - was blown away by her stuff.
Last edited by iwokeinrelief on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:02 pm

the work is decades ahead of it's time
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:44 pm

^ I really enjoyed seeing her work and reading about her ideas at the big Guggenheim show last year.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm

fallstaff wrote:^ I really enjoyed seeing her work and reading about her ideas at the big Guggenheim show last year.
Yeah, that's the one I meant. Was still up when I was in there in March.
13deftones13
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Currently reading Skunk Works by Ben Rich. Details the Lockheed secret development group behind stealth technology and countless other airplanes we used to outsmart the Russians. The F117A has a very interesting g development story and is a well written book. Highly recommended.
[*]"Speak fast you don't know me." - 7 words -[*][/i][/size][/color]