What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:07 am

He was a former teacher of mine in 82/83 looking forward to this
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
veltri
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Antkind by Charlie Kaufman (yes, that Charlie Kaufman).
It's hilarious. Hope it stays that way for all 700 pages.

strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 am

I listened to the audiobook of Call Me By Your Name, read by Armie Hammer. I'm now in a relationship with Armie Hammer, he just doesn't know it yet.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
jamjam

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:19 am

Hi, guys! I haven't logged in in so long. This study from home business has got me down. I was handling it all well enough, but this week has been tough. I dredged up my log in credentials and thought I'd see what's going on here. In all fairness, though, reading has helped me keep calm and steady, but balancing my own reading with course syllabi has been challenging.

Currently reading: 1. Zadie Smith's On Beauty - Such a zippy read. Can't believe I'm about 150 pages in in about 4 hrs. She's great at comedy, which may be why she doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as some of the more illustrious (whatever that means) writers. For instance, I'd read Pynchon's Bleeding Edge last month, and I was really impressed by the contemporaneity of the work. As well as his observation of family life. On Beauty, IMO, is much better in its treatment of the same. Was also published a good 8 yrs before Bleeding Edge. Nonetheless, they are both great books, and Smith and Pynchon are two of my favorite authors. I'd recommend Bleeding Edge and On Beauty, if anyone's wondering.

2. This is more of a course requirement. I'm now actively begrudging having signed up for the module on research methodology. Too late to drop it now, and we're dealing with the quantitative method. Not my cup of tea at all. I missed a couple of sessions and I'm absolutely clueless now. We're doing a section on the z-score formula, and even with all the help I've been able to find for this online it's still beyond me. Keeps me up at night, and makes me cranky for the day. A passing grade is all I can aim for.
aahnutz
EB Team

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Just finished “Sing Backwards and Weep” by Mark Lanegan. Brutally honest. Wish it didn’t end so soon. I didn’t want to put it down, so I read the entire book in only two days. All I can say is I’m glad he finally got his fudge together.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Long Walk to Freedom
The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela

can't recommend it highly enough. if you like audio books there is a version with background music which makes the reading really resonate. though at 30 hours it barely scratches the surface of his 50 years of struggle for freedom. not many other people have walked out of a jail into the presidential seat.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:44 pm

The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday.

I wouldn’t consider myself a Stoic, but there’s a lot of really useful stuff in there if you having a tough time getting started/through something in life. Really helps shift any negative perspectives you may carry around with you. Highly recommend it.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
guryter
Art Expert

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:39 am

Re-reading some of Garth Ennis' run on the Punisher. Followed that up with Neuromancer by William Gibson, and The Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway. Next up is The Fire Next Time by Baldwin and then a re-read of Harari's Sapiens.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
Creation88
Art Expert

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 am

just finished: How to be an Antiracist x Ibram X. Kendi
finishing up: the original collected Eastman/Laird TMNT graphic novel; Basketball and Other Things x Shea Serrano
starting: Stamped From the Beginning x Ibram X. Kendi;
next: Open Veins of Latin America x Eduardo Galeano
IWish
Art Expert

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 pm

This is getting great reviews.

'Hollow Kingdom'
by Kira Jane Buxton
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Long time since I checked in... Almost halfway through the Wheel of Time series. So far I am really liking it... started out really good and hitting a bit of a lull right now, but with all those books I somewhat expected it.

Looking forward to finishing everything in time for the show.
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:58 pm

I'm doing some early holiday shopping and remembered how much I love these field guides. I owned the Rock and Minerals guide and used it until it literally fell apart. The photography in the guides is excellent. Gonna' spend the last $64 of my lottery win on books. :) Just know my sis will love several of these.

https://www.audubon.org/national-audubo ... eld-guides
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:55 pm

UNCHAINED MELODY: THE FILMS OF MEIKO KAJI

A very short and non-in depth look at the film career of Meiko Kaji. I'm a huge fan of LADY SNOWBLOOD and the FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION series. As such, I was looking forward to reading this since there's not much literature available to her fans here in the western hemisphere. The book chronicles her film career mostly and briefly discusses her TV and music careers as well. While the book is enjoyable with a lot of photos and a few behind the scenes stories, I would have liked to have had more of a background on Meiko herself. The book picks up when she began modelling at 17 and started her film career shortly thereafter. However, with so little material available to her English reading fans, I guess you take what you can get.
fredo
Art God

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Creepy AF and virtually no relation to the Mehflix jawn.
just a foil for me today, thanks
haven
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 pm

I really need to start reading again. Maybe I'll read that.

And that cover looks like a Wiesenfeld.