What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
dirkstainly
EB Team

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Just finished this:

Just starting this:

wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:23 pm

The last 3 ...
djpubbs
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:57 am

"bringing down the house"

and

"fargo rock city"
(just finished reading fro the second time! i love this book!)
iratasan wrote:a wise man once said "you know that you have a problem when you start hanging pictures at door knob height."
rhombus_77
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 am

Fun mindless reading:

more fun:

rowdyroddy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:59 pm

If you guys like CM's The Road, might as well cruise through all of his books. No Country was awesome, even after seeing the movie.....I just did the Border trilogy and they were all haunting as hell...

re-reading Exile on Main St. "A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones" by Greenfield, in preparation for Scorsese's Shine A Light in a few weeks.

Also, all Chuck Palahniuk's books are fun to throw in the mix if you have too many serious or "deep" books on deck.....like 2012: the Return OF Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck. Awesome read.
man11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Blood Meridian is McCarthy's best book. He perfects a few characters/concepts in there that he's been working on for a while. It's not a feel-good story of love and kittens.

Rev. Mike: Get through Gravity's Rainbow. That book kicks ass. I'm guessing you're stalled out on the last third or so. It kind of unravels for Slothrop, et al., in postwar Germany.

I've begun his new one, Against the Day, but it's been slow going because it doesn't start with a bang. And As I Lay Dying is still in my To Read pile ...
rowdyroddy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:Dude.

GoodReads.com

It's srsly addictive. I mean, for those of you that can actually read.

Look up ColdSoreSuperstar if you wanna be my friend. Tee hee!
Cool site, the name ColdSoreSuperstar doesn't come up in the search though?
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:03 pm

These are the last four books I've read. I've recently moved, so I seem to have less reading time than I did a few months ago. Each of these books are interesting in there own right, sift out the occaisional bias, of course.
ImageImage
ImageImage
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:55 pm

I used to read all the time but since becoming a teacher a couple of years ago I rarely have the time. Ironic really. Anyway I'm making my way very slowly through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I feel like I've been reading it forever. Next I'm going to re-read the five Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Books, my absolute favourites.
this aggression will not stand, man.
rssesq
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:58 pm

just picked this up, but i'm looking forward to the new Steve Martini that comes out next month. I'm a fan of Atty. Madriani.
deancc
Art Expert

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Great thread idea.
ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:Fifty pages into "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami.
Awesome book. Murakami is amazing - my favorite writer these days. Love everything he's done. "Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World" and "The Wind Up Bird Chronicles" are my favorites. Murakami is like a literary David Lynch. If that sounds good to you, ...

Currently:
Jeanette Winterson "Art and Lies" - more style than story, as usual, just how i like it. definitely not for everyone, though.

Just finished:
Haruki Murakami "Sputnik Sweetheart"
Chuck Palahniuk "Dairy" - really cool. my first book of his. i want to check out more. suggestions?
Kurt Vonnegut "Slaughterhouse-Five"
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:31 pm

If you're just starting in on Chuck, I'd recommend Survivor - by far my favorite of his. But most of the others are quite strong - Lullabye, Haunted, and of course Fight Club. Invisible Monsters is a bit odd, but still good. Choke was the only one I didn't connect well to. His non-fiction piece - stories from Portland - is interesting too but a very quick read. Almost too fast...
Tra la la la la...
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:02 am

deancc wrote:Great thread idea.

Just finished:

Chuck Palahniuk "Dairy" - really cool. my first book of his. i want to check out more. suggestions?
Does it have quiche in it? I love a good quiche.
Hee hee.
not dead
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 am

rowdyroddy wrote:
ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:Dude.

GoodReads.com

It's srsly addictive. I mean, for those of you that can actually read.

Look up ColdSoreSuperstar if you wanna be my friend. Tee hee!
Cool site, the name ColdSoreSuperstar doesn't come up in the search though?
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/144 ... ok_Nerders

There's our group. I'm CSS, of course.
I'm not giving out my Reall name on the boardz anymore (even though I've probably already done so a bajillion times), so PM me for it.
not dead
deancc
Art Expert

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:11 am

Yamar wrote:If you're just starting in on Chuck, I'd recommend Survivor - by far my favorite of his. But most of the others are quite strong - Lullabye, Haunted, and of course Fight Club. Invisible Monsters is a bit odd, but still good. Choke was the only one I didn't connect well to. His non-fiction piece - stories from Portland - is interesting too but a very quick read. Almost too fast...
Cool, thanks Yamar. I'll definitely check out Survivor.