What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:38 am

Rev.Mike wrote:The Dalkey Archive by Flann O'Brien and Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon. Waiting for some Chabon to arrive in the mail.
Nice. I liked O'Brian's "The Third Policeman" in high school. And "Gravity's Rainbow" is on my to-read list.

I think "The Master and Margarita" is next on my list. Or one of a hundred others.
not dead
edderlyj
Art Expert

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:23 am

cocobean wrote:I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A post-apocalypse novel that's seriously depressing. Before that, Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan, which is set in Burma.
My all time favourite author is Ian Rankin and I have big collection of his stuff.
The Road, serisously, so good, so simple, so f'ing dark...

Fingerprints of the gods, Graham Hancock. It's a little non-fiction (speculative, but well researched) that'll give you some serious pause.

:shock:
jcporter
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 am

I finished CM's "the road" a couple of months ago. It reminded me of a Steven King book. It was "after the great disaster" stuff but didn't make me go all sad and weepy. I'm re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance right now.

Peace

JP
ISO: Uncle Charlie's 22" by 33" silkscreen version of Metallica / Alice in Chains 1994 Austin - signed & numbered run of 250
funkin
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:33 am

ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:
Rev.Mike wrote:The Dalkey Archive by Flann O'Brien and Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon. Waiting for some Chabon to arrive in the mail.
Nice. I liked O'Brian's "The Third Policeman" in high school. And "Gravity's Rainbow" is on my to-read list.

I think "The Master and Margarita" is next on my list. Or one of a hundred others.
finished "The Master and Margarita" recently. good stuff.
working on "Journey to the End of the Night" by Celine
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 pm

I need to read Celine. And the Master and Margarita. Gravity's Rainbow is fantastic, but I've been stalled out on it like Ulysses...amazing book, can't finish it.
rssesq
Art Expert

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Just finished reading Mearsheimer and Walt's latest book and it was quite a read.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:40 pm

my wife bought me Clapton's autobiography last week. I'm going to try to read it while on vacation next week.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Ooh, now I want to read Valerie Plame's autobiography.
not dead
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:42 pm

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/144 ... ok_Nerders

Bump for the imminent start of our first book klub book tamaree,
Suite Francaise. Join if you wish.

Stupids.
not dead
muffinslinger
Art Expert

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:00 pm

i read 'counting with noisy kittens' about 20times today
billthebassist
Art Expert

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:59 am

So I just finished Into the Wild and really enjoyed it. I hope the movie can go as deep as the book. I'm going to request from the library another of the author's books next, "Under the banner of heaven : a story of violent faith by Jon Krakauer," since I enjoyed his writing style so much.

But right now I've jumped into "Walk Away Rene - the Art of Hipgnosis" from 1978 - OOP but found on the 'bay. GREAT images. This company did a TON of album cover art for bands from Floyd to Sabbath to Yes (and a whole lot in between). So far it's an amazing account of just how much work went into designing album covers, their sleeves, stickers etc - it all sounds so archaic now! Truly a historical documentation of how laborius art production was before the advent of Photoshop etc. More importantly it reminds us of how important the ART was before dinky CD pics. :evil:
morst
EB Team

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:30 pm

Rev.Mike wrote:Gravity's Rainbow is fantastic, but I've been stalled out on it like Ulysses...amazing book, can't finish it.
I stalled out on that one too. SO MANY CHARACTERS and strangeness. Thomas Pynchon is a strange bird, I s'pose.

Recently I read Ken Kesey's Sometimes A Great Notion, and it was kinda slow getting going but around page 150 I realized I should slow down and savor it, cause it started going really fast! 700 pages flew by me in a couple weeks! Then I tried the Pynchon book and didn't get to that point, if there is one. . .

I'm currently in Electric Don Quixote, the Frank Zappa book by Neil Slaven
It's great!
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Currently:

Last read:

*not this cover; Recorded Books LLC version

*not this cover; Recorded Books LLC version

E
scattergood
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:37 pm

"1421 - The Year China Discovered America"...interesting read on how the Portugese explorers basicly found the new world on the maps and ino gained from various chinese explorations...

"The Butlerian Jihad" - 1st of the prequesl trilogies of the Dune epic saga.

Books Rule
galactus43
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:57 pm

"The Day After Tomorrow"" by Alan Folsom....and no, the movie is not based on this book.

'Today - He catches a glimpse of his father's killer, Tomorrow - He is drawn into the web of a vast international conspiracy, The Day After Tomorrow - He confronts a terrifying future which threatens us all...'

I am inbetween the Today and Tomorrow plot sections at the moment.