What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
meskell
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:54 pm

haven wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 pm
I really need to start reading again. Maybe I'll read that.

And that cover looks like a Wiesenfeld.
That cover is a Wiesenfeld.
Also, I've read more this past year than any other year. Nothing crazy but averaging just over a book a month. Which sounds a little better when considering four of them have been the GoT series . Working on the 5th presently.

p.s can't believe I didn't mention that Fredo's book was one I've read this past year and it was soley due to that Wiesenfeld cover.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:50 pm

THE WITCH

Author Brandon Grafius does a really good job at bringing a historical background and context to this deconstruction of THE WITCH. The first chapter itself deals primarily with the Puritans and early settlers religious beliefs and how this shapes each family members role in the film. Another chapter deals, rather exceedingly extensive in my opinion, on how the film fits into the folk horror subgenre and how that influences the film as well. While this was somewhat interesting, too much time was spent here. Only about the last third of the book deals with analyzing the film. However, there is a chapter dedicated to each character in the film and this is where Grafius is really able to engage the reader with a breakdown of the film. Overall, an enjoyable read and again, I appreciate the background information the author brought to the table to put the film in its proper context. It would have been nice to have a little bit more of an analysis however, and not rely so much on the other information.
veltri
Art Expert

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:48 pm

Just finished the third book of the Dune series, Children of Dune.

It was very good and a lot better than the second, Dune Messiah, but to be fair, the second one seemed more a transitional story to get to the third book. It was also about half as long.

First is still best, but the third was not as big a dropoff as I was led to expect and the eventual movies should be very entertaining.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:41 pm

ROSEMARY'S BABY

Finally got around to reading the book one of my favorite horror movies of all-time is based upon and after doing so, Polanski nailed it! The film follows the book practically verbatim and Ira Levin made such an incredible and memorable classic. There were a few subplots and characters that Polanski snipped for the film, which I agree with. In the end, they didn't serve much purpose to the overall story and it helped with the film's runtime. I heard in an interview Polakski's first version was almost 4 hours and with the film being near identical to the book, I'm very curious what else he had in there for an extra hour and 45 minutes? Other than the minor characters who were cut, there are some extended scenes, particularly at the end, as well as a few minor scenes Rosemary has thinking or talking to family I would have liked to have seen in the film. However, the overall benefit of this book is you get to read some of Rosemary's thoughts and feelings that don't come across in the film. As stated before, the movie is so close to the novel that unless you really love the story and wish to dive more into it, you can get away with just watching the film. I wish director's took heed of this more nowadays when adapting movies: if the story's good enough to turn into a film, leave it alone instead of trying to put your own spin on the source material.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 pm

If you’re into film, you should check out the new book from Posterspy:

It’s short and fun. Some stories I was aware of and many I wasn’t. Plus, each story has an accompanying Poster Concept drawn by many contemporary AMP artists. Chances are, if you’re reading this you’re already aware of the book, but if not…check it out!
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:42 pm

Bryman wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 pm
If you’re into film, you should check out the new book from Posterspy:

It’s short and fun. Some stories I was aware of and many I wasn’t. Plus, each story has an accompanying Poster Concept drawn by many contemporary AMP artists. Chances are, if you’re reading this you’re already aware of the book, but if not…check it out!
I'll have to look into that, The Hollywood Blacklist (Scripts that never went into production) is always a fun read too at the end of each year.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/hollywo ... ripts.html
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Dude! That’s pretty cool. Wasn’t aware that was a thing. I’m checking this out today, thanks.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:10 pm

CHEATED: THE INSIDE STORY OF THE ASTROS SCANDAL AND A COLORFUL HISTORY OF SIGN STEALING

Andy Martino does an absolutely terrific job investigating this scandal that shook the game of baseball to it's core. Easily presented, the first few chapters give brief instances of sign stealing in the game, dating back as far as 1900. Then we get into the meat and potatoes of why you're truly reading this book: The Houston Astros. The main players are identified (A.J. Hinch, Alex Cora, Carlos Beltran, and Jeff Luhnow), along with the teams most prolific players (Alex Bregman, Carlos Correa, and Jose Altuve). Martino divests chapters into Hinch's, Cora's, Beltran's, and Luhnow's backstory, which is appreciated, as I didn't know much about any one of them off the baseball field. The book details the extreme pressure and toxic environment Jeff Luhnow and his team created in Houston. Always searching for new and "innovative" ways to get an edge on the rest of the league. This "forced" an intern to create the program Codebreaker and they were off. The team attempts to justify their cheating believing, unfoundedly mind you, other teams in the league were doing it and they were just trying "to keep up." Once past the backstories of the main players, the book then goes season by season from 2016 until the 2019 season, when the whistle was finally blown when former Astros pitcher Mike Friers went public, before the final chapter wraps up with the aftermath of the scandal at the time of printing. If you have any interest in this subject matter, you'll enjoy this book; however, be forewarned this will make your blood boil!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:03 pm

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD

Quentin Tarantino's first novel, based upon his latest film, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. The novel is a great and nostalgic way to both enjoy the story via another medium but also allows Tarantino the opportunity to change some things around. The ending is nothing like the film so it's not a complete regurgitation of the story we already know. In addition, more depth and background are given to characters. The only knock I have against it is sometimes Quentin contradicts himself, where earlier in the book he'll say one thing, only to later completely state the opposite. Other than that, this was a very enjoyable read and I wish Tarantino would do this with all of his films (although I'm well aware of that not happening). If the film was a love letter to Hollywood, this is an encyclopedia, choke-full with shows, actors, directors, and songs of yesteryear. If you enjoyed the film, you'll enjoy this as well!
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 pm

I heard him doing the rounds on several podcasts talking about it. He said, like you mentioned, that it’s less of a direct translation and more of an expansion/alternate version. Sounds interesting. I can’t remember if he said he’d done an audiobook version, but I’d love to hear him read it.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Bryman wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 pm
I heard him doing the rounds on several podcasts talking about it. He said, like you mentioned, that it’s less of a direct translation and more of an expansion/alternate version. Sounds interesting. I can’t remember if he said he’d done an audiobook version, but I’d love to hear him read it.
A friend of mine has the audio version but Jennifer Jason Leigh is the narrator, not QT. Would have loved to have heard QT do it himself.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:12 pm

She’s great, but that’s a bummer.
edderlyj
Art Expert

Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:15 pm

Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:29 pm

FACE IT: A MEMOIR

Debbie Harry recounts her life and work and while the story is interesting, be forewarned: it comes in a little lite. The book is only 352 pages long and that includes pictures as well as fan art. Debbie goes through her entire life, from her being adopted, to her moving from New Jersey to New York City, to her start in music, until her ultimate success with Blondie, and her downfall. However, the book is rather superficial as she only briefly goes into personal stories before glancing over months/years. Only during the final chapter does she reveal she's a private person, so it makes sense. Being this is the only work we'll probably ever get from her directly, I'd still say it's worth a read; but just know going in to it, it could have been much more.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Thu May 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Getting back into the swing of things.

Partially back to reading physical again, especially with my comics.

Splitting my time with finishing the Too Tough To Die GN and starting the recent J Dilla book.

ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041