What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
veltri
Art Expert

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:50 pm

lapislazuli wrote:Since we're on this Russian vibe, can I recommend Dostoyevsky's Demons (or The Devils or The Possessed, depending on the translation)? An all time fave of mine.
Thanks for the recommendation, I really enjoyed this one.

I never gave it a chance after failing to get into The Adolescent after a few tries thinking I'd already read his best works.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:55 pm

veltri wrote:
lapislazuli wrote:Since we're on this Russian vibe, can I recommend Dostoyevsky's Demons (or The Devils or The Possessed, depending on the translation)? An all time fave of mine.
Thanks for the recommendation, I really enjoyed this one.
I never gave it a chance after failing to get into The Adolescent after a few tries thinking I'd already read his best works.
Glad you liked it.

I learned about it many years ago. I read Netchaiev is back when I was like 15 and it simply blew my mind up. Over the years, I've read almost every single book mentioned on it.
(This was my first Semprun's book - and I became a hardcore fan. His books about his experience in Buchenwald should be compulsory in every school around the world)
And the main character, Netchaiev got his alias from Dostoyevsky's novel.
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:05 am

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
fredo
Art God

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:27 am

just a foil for me today, thanks
bloodthrust
Art Expert

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Have finally gotten the chance to do some reading over the summer....

This is a far less serious read than what is usually posted here, but I really enjoyed it. Laugh out loud funny at times, but also touches on some heavy real life stuff as well:

Picked this up the other day at a second hand store for a couple dollars, and will likely be finished with it tonight:

And up next is this:
Perkins wrote:Hmm. Art with rules. Doesn't sound like all that great of an idea to me.
mistersmith wrote:It's Pearl Jam. You could poop on a piece of French Paper and write "Pearl Jam" in it with your finger and have a decent shot at AoTW.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:56 am

Gonna go on a bit of a King bender. Now playing:

mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:16 am

UrsusMorris wrote:Gonna go on a bit of a King bender. Now playing:

I really enjoyed what King did with the Desperation/ Regulators dichotomy. Make sure you read Regulators next :cheers:
So it goes...
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:42 am

Oh i plan to. Never knew the two were connected until i saw the back of the Desperation book haha. Luckily i have The Regulators as well, in hardback though (i prefer paperbacks over hardbacks, but a book is a book, so it's not that big of a deal lol)

EDIT: damn, only 32 pages in and this book got real!
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:55 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:Never knew the two were connected until i saw the back of the Desperation book haha.
Yeah, I got both of these in hardcover when they first came out (later in paperback for subsequent reads), 1996 if i recall correctly. I just loved King's execution on this. For casual readers who may not know any better, they seem like two completely unrelated books by two completely different authors. Published by a different book publisher, and even the writing style, story structure, chapter lengths and flow, seemed like some all together different author. But for those who were really into him, you picked up on it, and reading them together becomes so much more rewarding. King is such a master as his craft.

(notice, the scene on the other side of the fence from one is the front cover of the other... :twisted: )
So it goes...
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 pm

That's cool how they did that! I need to pickup the Desperation hardback then, because that's the same Regulators i got. Sweet!
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 pm

I need to read the regulators then

Leokani Okauwila
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:34 am

Saw the Desperation hardback at the bookstore yesterday for $10. Bought some other stuff instead. I'll go back next weekend and get it. Got Michael Crichton's Prey in hardback for $1!
vitoria
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 am

current reading:
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:55 am

spotted this in the new books at the library

Leokani Okauwila
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:48 am

double post
Last edited by hunterjax on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.