What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Vytis33
Art Expert

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:33 am

Just picked this up from Amazon. Anyone read it?

tehhippy
Art Expert

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:41 am

If you haven't read Lolita before, I would recommend reading once and then re-reading this version: http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Lolita- ... 0679727299

Gave me a much greater appreciation for Nabokov and his myriad of references and allusions throughout the novel. Had an English professor that considered this the single greatest work of English literature/fiction.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Vytis33 wrote:Just picked this up from Amazon. Anyone read it?

Yup, I have. . It's a great read and a pretty sad story.

Not sure if you've anything else by Jon Krakauer, but Into the Wild, Under the Banner of Heaven and Into Thin Air are all fantastic also.
mikeyc1023
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am

Just finished re-reading this

About to start this

Saw him speak a few weeks back and it was pretty incredible. I'm looking forward to the new doc coming out at the end of the month "West of Memphis"
tehhippy
Art Expert

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:01 pm

mikeyc1023 wrote:About to start this

Saw him speak a few weeks back and it was pretty incredible. I'm looking forward to the new doc coming out at the end of the month "West of Memphis"
+1 on West of Memphis.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:40 pm

mikeyc1023 wrote:
About to start this

It's a pretty good read
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Green Grass Running Water is a hoot, really enjoyed that book (might just reread it some day)...
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:12 pm

I've just finished re-watching the Wire. I've already read 'Homicide' by David Simon, so I've decided to read 'Clockers' by Richard Price. So far, so good.

john38103
Art Expert

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 pm

RadRacing wrote:I've just finished re-watching the Wire. I've already read 'Homicide' by David Simon, so I've decided to read 'Clockers' by Richard Price. So far, so good.

Good book. There is actually stuff that is lifted directly from Clockers (the book, not the film) and used in The Wire.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm

john38103 wrote:
RadRacing wrote:I've just finished re-watching the Wire. I've already read 'Homicide' by David Simon, so I've decided to read 'Clockers' by Richard Price. So far, so good.

Good book. There is actually stuff that is lifted directly from Clockers (the book, not the film) and used in The Wire.
yea I noticed that in the book the other day (haven't seen the film). Specifically the scene in the Wire where the cops (might have been Bunny, or Carver) ask the corner kid where he gets 'those sideways hats'. And the kid replies 9dead serious) 'It's the same hat, you just turn it'. LOL..I'm assuming R. Price wrote that ep of the Wire.

Have you read anything else by Price? I hear 'Lush Life' is great too.

I read the American Gangster book last year. The foreword was written by Richard Price, and he mentions an old school true crime writer who influenced him named McNulty. I'm guessing David Simon named Jimmy McNulty after that dude.
john38103
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I thought Lush Life was good but I liked Clockers better.

I also read The Breaks and had very mixed feelings about it. I found it compelling but I'm still not sure I actually liked it.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm

john38103 wrote:I thought Lush Life was good but I liked Clockers better.

I also read The Breaks and had very mixed feelings about it. I found it compelling but I'm still not sure I actually liked it.
Interesting, thanks. I'll check out Lush Life soon.
shivashakti
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm

IbisMummy wrote:I've been a little scared off of 1Q84 by some reviews though; did you enjoy it?
Finished this a while back, I'd have to put 1Q84 in my top ten reads ever. It's one of those stories that will stick with you for a long long while. Murakami is a giant among men. I totally recommend you take the long journey.

I'm on Ready Player One now, and though I find it enjoyable and entertaining, it's not quite heavy enough for me.

Thinking about reading Lolita with the compendium now thanks to the suggestion earlier in this thread. It was one of my favorite from high school and I haven't picked it up since then.
Grtdane06
Art Expert

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Started this one last night, Christmas gift from the kids....

Light and Shade - Conversations with Jimmy Page
By Brad Tolinski - Editor in Chief at Guitar World

So far so good, interesting questions and insight. Jeff Beck and Pagey answer questions about the Yarbirds

I think Brad would have good access to Page due to his friendship with Ross Halfin who is a very close friend of the Dark Lord. From what I have read previously Brad is a friend of Pages too.
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil: