USPS woes :(

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 am

Untie USPS from congress (that’s common sense, IMO), increase stamp prices, cancel weekend mail delivery, put neighbourhood boxes in place and get rid off to-the-door delivery with the exception of larger packages. That would be a start.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:07 am

Still feeling just utterly helpless
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:23 am

bubbie wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 am
Untie USPS from congress (that’s common sense, IMO), increase stamp prices, cancel weekend mail delivery, put neighbourhood boxes in place and get rid off to-the-door delivery with the exception of larger packages. That would be a start.
It doesn't have to be profitable though, it's a public service. If we can afford what we spend on bombs and tanks we can certainly afford to pay the people that provide the service that everyone uses.
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:48 am

No doubt there. However, it doesn’t have to be inefficient/wasteful either. You are paying for it one way or the other. Mail on Saturday is just silly (though here we have package delivery running Saturdays around Christmas time). Door delivery service for anything that can fit in the mail box is also silly.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:48 am

Sounds like someone hates local laws past by local communities
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:15 am

^ Is that referring to me? If yes - not really is the answer, lol. I could not care less, except that my mail from the US is currently a long wait if it is mailed via USPS. Also, hate is a pretty strong word :)

Short/long version:

We have had our mail delivered to a mailbox like this

for years now. It is located 50 steps from my house. There is one other box design as well that I saw elsewhere. The two larger compartments on the bottom left are for packages that fit the size; whatever can fit into the mailbox is put to the mailbox; anything larger than either gets delivered to the door. When I open my mailbox and see a key in it, that means there is a package in one of the boxes on the bottom left. Once I retrieve the package, I lock the box and deposit the key into the letter slot on top (left). I can also, however unlikely, drop off any letters I am mailing out into that slot as well, obviously. Our guy, most of the time, delivers any packages to the door for whatever reason. He also asked for permission to leave it by the door if there is no answer when he knocks. My garage is usually unlocked, so he leaves them there whenever the sky is grey. Normally, if there is no answer, they leave a slip on your door that you then take to the post office to get your fudge. Since this has been implemented, I usually check the mail a couple of times a week unless I am expecting a package and it isn’t delivered to my door. On an average week, I receive 2-4 letters, probably, that I don’t care for urgently for the most part because those are bills that get sent out by service providers that still don’t have electronic means of doing so (lame). There is also a bunch of flyers in there that I don’t care for either and they go straight to the recycling bin. If there were no flyers, I would probably check the mail no more than once a week (with flyers the box can get clogged if not emptied a couple of times a week, though lately there haven’t been as many flyers, which probably sucks for Canada Post, but good for everyone else).

In the office it’s different. The mail gets delivered to the post office, like a P.O. Box, even though it really isn’t, from where (usually) the secretary picks it up daily, but doesn’t have to. On the same trip, she drops off everything that has to be mailed out, which is usually a bunch. In more populous places the mail gets delivered to the place of business, unless set up otherwise.

If they cut the residential letter type mail delivery service to 2-3 times a week, I wouldn’t even notice, personally (I understand that others may be affected and feel differently). And I doubt many would. Rural folks around here have a box at the post office where they can get their stuff whenever they drive for groceries and whatnot. Many rural communities still get their mail delivered to their doors though.

On average, about 67% of revenue generated by Canada Post pays for labour, including wages and benefits.

The fact that congress is involved in the decision making is straight up crazy, in my opinion. But different strokes.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:18 am

:clap:

agree - mail delivery shouldnt be considered a subsidized welfare business :lol:

envelopes get delivered in 1 day 6 states away... who needs anything that fast :roll:

that fact the political is involved is a testimony is just another feather in the hat to those believing change needs to occur

selling fake false insurance gets most business in alot of trouble :hanging:
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:02 am

It's not a business. It's a public service. Like the military.
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 am

I understand the point but its ran by monkeys so something needs to change

like many things - 90% goes right, its the 10% that's the problem. the delivery drones arent the problem.... its the leadership and lack of accountability

just like bubble stated so many things that could reduce costs - monkeys sit and play in their underpants ...

shouldnt be selling insurance if you cant handle claims :hanging:
so as a public service, they are allowed to rip you off ? :lol:
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 am

ygolohcysp wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:39 pm
jjttdw wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:14 pm
It's not just the pensions...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/202 ... dc61d47f5d
That was a fairly detailed explanation, thanks. the fact still stands that it's a national service. It doesn't have to make money. It's like the military, we pay for it.
I don't disagree. For the most part I'd like to see the Post Office break even in most years with the government helping in extraordinary circumstances like COVID 19. The cost of sending a letter in Germany is around 80 cents. I think our prices should be a bit closer to that. I see no reason not to edge up prices to be more in line with expenses. In doing so it would take away some of the financial leverage the government has over the postal service.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
hunkster
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:05 am

[/quote]

I don't disagree. For the most part I'd like to see the Post Office break even in most years with the government helping in extraordinary circumstances like COVID 19. The cost of sending a letter in Germany is around 80 cents. I think our prices should be a bit closer to that. I see no reason not to edge up prices to be more in line with expenses. In doing so it would take away some of the financial leverage the government has over the postal service.
[/quote]

$1.05 for a domestic letter in the Netherlands and $1.75 for a letter within Europe.
FWIW, I find domestic kind of expensive!

How much is it in the States again?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:47 am

It is $0.55 in the U.S. to send a letter domestically. Bear in mind that a letter in the U.S. may travel over 4000 km to its destination.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:51 am

Just to give a bit more information. A lot of towns in the USA have laws about mailboxes, and how they can be in the community. Some places outlaw mailboxes at the front of the road.
hunkster
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:57 am

Whats interesting is that since 2002, those rates in the Netherlands have gone up 250%, adding 5 cents a year since 2011, see the wikipedia article here:
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overzicht ... _Nederland (its in Dutch but you want to look at the first column) though they are not allowed to increase more than inflation.

The USA postage rates have only gone up 50% in that same period:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... tage_rates

... so yes, I would conclude USPS might want to look at increasing their rates.
jamel-d
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:07 pm

THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17,18,19