USPS woes :(

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:47 pm

I have shipped exclusively USPS for over a decade, I send out a fair amount of packages each week. Average week is 40-50. They have never lost a package - sometimes they get damaged, but fudge happens. They hand over the $100 that comes with usps priority without an argument every time. I don't buy insurance because that's just silly. Pack like the champion you are and trust the process. I'm far, far, into the black vs. if I had been buying insurance for every package all these years. What a waste of money that would have been.
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:15 am

that's a lotta packages each year
aldo
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 am

Fedex doesn't even insure art unless they pack it right? And only up to like 2k or something too.

The USPS is basically the envy of the world and one of the few government agencies that has a 90%+ approval rating across the US. No one cares it loses money because the benefits outweigh the costs by far and 2.2B is like .00001% of the gov's budget each year.

Plus the ridiculous 75 year pension funding requirement makes it look worse than it really is.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:50 am

These are all facts that "small government" people routinely ignore.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:03 pm

USPS just needs to raise rates a bit. They are in the red right now absent that stupid pension mandate. U.S. costs to send a letter are cheaper than almost all countries in the developed world.

They also need to close a bunch of post offices. I was in a town of 300 in the smoky mountains that had its own post office. The comedy is places where post offices should be closed are awash in small government folks. Go ahead and privatize and the first order of business would be closing those locations.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:09 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:50 am
These are all facts that "small government" people routinely ignore.
:iagree:
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:18 pm

I have two tubes out there that were supposed to be delivered on Monday and are still just "in transit, arriving late"...two good people on here waiting for tubes that I sent out. my reputation is on the line, and I don't take that lightly here in this community. both tubes were heading to the mid-west from Florida so I assume that they would have to pass through the Chicago hub?? from the recent posts ive read in this thread im not very optimistic...Chicago is just a black hole now?

This is such drymounting BULLSHEET!!!!

Could it really be ANY clearer that Trump appointed another asshat to a position where he doesnt belong just to slow down the mail in attempt to disrupt the whole mail-in ballot process? I mean, really? really? does anyone actually believe that slowing down the post office and not allowing them to work overtime and deliver mail on time is a GOOD idea? what in the actual FU@K!?

My wife and I continue to pass the days in disbelief of how Mike Judge's movie IDIOCRACY is coming true and how the creator of Beavis and Butt-head, of all people, was able to see into the future so well. :shock:
Last edited by southerngarden on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trarex
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:50 pm

If my prints stays in LA any longer I'll have to start paying rent .
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 pm

southerngarden wrote:
I have two tubes out there that were supposed to be delivered on Monday and are still just "in transit, arriving late"...two good people on here waiting for tubes that I sent out. my reputation is on the line, and I don't take that lightly here in this community. both tubes were heading to the mid-west from Florida so I assume that they would have to pass through the Chicago hub?? from the recent posts ive read in this thread im not very optimistic...Chicago is just a black hole now?

Could it really be ANY clearer that Trump appointed another asshat to a position where he doesnt belong just to slow down the mail in attempt to disrupt the whole mail-in ballot process? I mean, really? really? does anyone actually believe that slowing down the post office and not allowing them to work overtime and deliver mail on time is a GOOD idea? what in the actual FU@K!?

My wife and I continue to pass the days in disbelief of how Mike Judge's movie IDIOCRACY is coming true and how the creator of Beavis and Butt-head, of all people, was able to see into the future so well. :shock:
I mean it's not the end of the world and if these "two good people" here can't understand the USPS problems right now, they prob shouldn't be labeled "good".
Radsack79
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:12 pm

trarex wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:50 pm
If my prints stays in LA any longer I'll have to start paying rent .
This. Have had one stuck there since June 23rd.
Deserves got nothing to do with it.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:12 pm

cotis wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 pm
southerngarden wrote:

I mean it's not the end of the world and if these "two good people" here can't understand the USPS problems right now, they prob shouldn't be labeled "good".
you're right, its not the end of the world...yet. I guess we will know more about that come Nov 20th.

you're also right that these two good people probably will understand the USPS problems right now but its still maddening as hell.

further, despite what others here are claiming, I do buy insurance and think its wise to do so. its a small price to pay for a little security. I typically insure my tubes for at least the bare minimum of the prints value. but very often, even with the insurance money in hand, these prints can't be found again.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Recently had a tube just sitting at the PO for over a week “Shipment Received” “Acceptance Pending”. I know it’s not, but it just seems oxymoronic :crazy:
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:33 pm

its funny how incredible helpless this all makes me feel.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 pm

I self insure every item I send. Customers are always happy and it saves me a ton of money. I suggest everyone try it.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:12 pm

A very old article, but still relevant.

Time: Finally, We Can Learn Something From Canada

And we aren’t perfect either.

I wonder if any of the developed countries do not have a government run postal service. Very much doubt it.