Can we get a Board Game subforum?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah, totally passed on getting the LE game at mondocon. oh well, too many other prints and stuff got in the way. guess i'll be looking for a deal on the reg after all
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm

For anyone looking to get the Thing game, here are a few sites that have it periodically in stock:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/usost051-524.html

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/246562

I'd list amazon but its marked up vs these lol
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:26 pm

My KIngdon Death Core Box showed up last week! I've started putting some of the miniatures together:

2 starting survivors:

Next 2, with "before" pics to show how many pieces are involved:

Tutorial monster:

Group shot:

To give an idea how much is included in the Core Box alone. Here is the sprue that those five came off of (with another monster still attached:

And here are all the other sprues that I have not yet touched:

:shock:
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:57 am

I still thank my friend for talking me out of backing kingdom death. I would have spent a ton of money and never played it.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am

lemtar999 wrote:I still thank my friend for talking me out of backing kingdom death. I would have spent a ton of money and never played it.
Oh it's for sure a complete money sink, especially if you wouldn't play it - I've got my group's first play session set for the weekend after next. And, truthfully, I really like building and painting the miniatures, so I'll end up getting a ton of time out of it between the game and the hobby-aspect. But it's still insane how much money I spent on that KS.
Weasel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

My wife backed Kingdom Death. The minis terrify me - I superglued myself to the table putting Shadows of Brimstone together so no way am I tackling this.

So, intend to get someone to do it for me. Is the mini putting-together obvious? Can't tell from what I've read whether you're supposed to upgrade each mini with new weapons/armour etc as and when you get it in-game, or if you can just build a couple of different minis to use at different stages.

Apart from that, I'd recommend getting in on the second printing of Folklore: The Affliction on Kickstarter. Fantastic narrative-driven RPG-esque board game. Very dark - if you like The Witcher, you'll like this.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 pm

So. Many. MINIS! :shock:

Anyone get any deals this weekend on games? I snagged WHQ Card Game for $17 at a half-price books (FINALLY), and got the Thing game for $37 there too.

got the new super mario card game at target for 7.50, along with that new Carmen Sandiego for the same price. I know they are both Pressman throwaway games lol but fun intro games for playing while you wait on that last person to show up to game night at least!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Weasel wrote:My wife backed Kingdom Death. The minis terrify me - I superglued myself to the table putting Shadows of Brimstone together so no way am I tackling this.

So, intend to get someone to do it for me. Is the mini putting-together obvious? Can't tell from what I've read whether you're supposed to upgrade each mini with new weapons/armour etc as and when you get it in-game, or if you can just build a couple of different minis to use at different stages.

Apart from that, I'd recommend getting in on the second printing of Folklore: The Affliction on Kickstarter. Fantastic narrative-driven RPG-esque board game. Very dark - if you like The Witcher, you'll like this.
I wouldn't recommend using superglue on the minis if you end up doing it yourself - I'd use the Tamiya 87038 Extra Thin Cement Glue Fine Tip 40ml (link) which slightly melts the plastic on the minis to bond them together; it works a lot better than super glue (which I used for all my Warhammer minis).

And no, the minis are not in the least obvious as to how they go together - there are guides for a few of them on the KD site, and there are guides for almost all of them on the Vibrant Lantern site though - but I've had a lot of fun assembling them so far. As far as "upgrading" goes - you can certainly do that, but it's strictly cosmetic; also, all the "armor kits" are survivors in armor, so you could just substitute those in as your gear changes.

I like the look of Folklore, but my gaming backlog is so extensive as of this moment that I'm a bit hesitant to order anything else right now.
lemtar999
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Well I did something dumb during black Friday. I saw Kingdom Death with expansions up in their store so a bunch of beers later I know own Kingdom death. In better news im psyched about the Twilight Imperium 4th edition and Gloomhaven coming this week.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 pm

lemtar999 wrote:Well I did something dumb during black Friday. I saw Kingdom Death with expansions up in their store so a bunch of beers later I know own Kingdom death.
Excellent work!

Got all the monsters from my core set, and the eight survivors together. Also got my paints in, and my wet palette stuff. Should have brushes, brush on primer, and green stuff in on Tuesday, along with a practice miniatures set, so I'll start working towards painting the core set. Also took the Monday after next off for an all day KD:M session with a couple friends.

Damn this is a hella dorky post :P
starkdesign
Art Expert

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Hoping to pick up a copy of Fallout tonight from lamestop! :D
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 am

Amazon is having a board game gold box deal today! Lot's of great stuff - like $25 Ticket to Ride - but the two I recommend (both are 2 player games) are:

Patchwork - This one has been discussed quite a bit on this thread. Don't let the "quilting" theme hold you back, this is a smart and fun game.

The Rose King - At $8 this should be a no brainer. My wife and I love this game.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:Amazon is having a board game gold box deal today! Lot's of great stuff - like $25 Ticket to Ride - but the two I recommend (both are 2 player games) are:

Patchwork - This one has been discussed quite a bit on this thread. Don't let the "quilting" theme hold you back, this is a smart and fun game.

The Rose King - At $8 this should be a no brainer. My wife and I love this game.
Nice! I would also recommend a few on that list, like

Dragonwood: fun for kids https://www.amazon.com/Dragonwood-Game- ... 930&sr=1-5

Lost Cities: another great 2 player card game https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Cities-The- ... 30&sr=1-15

brb, getting rose king now lol! :D
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

starkdesign wrote:brb, getting rose king now lol! :D
Hope you got it at the sale price - now back at $18.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
starkdesign wrote:brb, getting rose king now lol! :D
Hope you got it at the sale price - now back at $18.
I did! thx again for the tip, always looking for good 2 player games! :pint: