Forget cats, let's talk about dogs!

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:53 pm

you guys are all making me cry at work. Seriously, I had a dog as a kid that was killed in a car accident, but I was under 10 and while it was upsetting, my younger self got over it quickly and easily.

Now, as an adult, my family and I've had our first and current dog, Dexter, for about 10 years and I don't have any idea how I am going to deal with it when his time comes. Not well, for sure . . .

Pulling for Boomer, Blue! Sending positive thoughts.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:39 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:22 pm
Thanks Fro and Dave. I appreciate it.

Boomer has a rare T-cell Cutaneous Lymphoma. We have elected to go with Chemotherapy because overall he is still in good health. It's an oral treatment with 5 sessions over the next 15 weeks. We are really hoping he responds well and we can have another year or so with him. He had his first treatment last Friday and is tolerating it well so far. The vet is very optimistic since Boomer does not have other lesions or symptoms at this point. It was a hard decision but feels like the right one at the moment.

Keep us posted, Blue. Sadie (15 1/2) and Bear (6), my labs, sending positive energy to Boomer.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pm

wottagunn wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:33 am
2 months

4 months
and here's Doug now at 7 months. 42kg (92 lbs)
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:55 pm

That's a great looking dog, Wottagun!
I'm not someone else.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Doug's head is heavier than my dog.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 pm

FroDawg wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Keep us posted, Blue. Sadie (15 1/2) and Bear (6), my labs, sending positive energy to Boomer.
I think the good vibes are really helping! Thanks everyone!

Boomer goes in for his 4th round of chemo this Friday, just one more round after that. :D

He's doing incredibly well. He has not experienced any side effects other than his WBC being low which is expected. He's been on antibiotics twice more to protect against getting an infection while his count is low. Some days he's not quite as energetic as usual but it's tough to tell if it's from the treatment, his age finally showing, or being an only dog for the first time in his life. It could be a bit of all 3 I suppose. We changed vets 2 months ago and he absolutely loves the new place he goes to. All smiles all the time. They give a lot of treats and baby talk to him and he can't get enough of either.

Outside of summer months, December is his favorite for sure. His birthday was last month (just turned 12) and he's always been a big fan of Christmas because he excels at unwrapping presents. He's a pretty smart dog and had figured out which presents under the tree were almost immediately. On Christmas morning I gave him his first present to open which he did with gusto. He played with it for about 15 minutes then got up, looked at me and my wife, then went over and picked up another present from under the tree and unwrapped it. He repeated that same sequence until he unwrapped everything.

We've also started to let him hop up in bed with us for 30 minutes or so at night. He's really taken a shine to laying on the bed, so much so that if I get up in the middle of the night to pee I often find him in my spot when I get back. Like he invented, "move your feet, lose your seat.

I'm trying very hard to be present in the moment for any time I spend with him as I know he'll be gone much sooner than I'll be ready for. We're still very hopeful and optimistic that he'll make it through the spring and summer with a high quality of life. I would really like to get another female dog early this spring because there's so much dog knowledge he'll be able to pass on, like berry picking in the video below.

This pic was taken about 5 minutes after getting blood taken from the neck.

Trying to tell me he finds my choice in tools to be subpar

Berry picking last summer

I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:02 pm

WE are so close to being selected to adopt this ~2 y/o female Rott. We visited with her on Saturday and she curled right up to us and within a minute was on her back for belly rubs. We didn't think we had a shot because this particular rescue org doesn't like Invisible fences but they called this morning and said they were finishing up our reference checks. It's going to be such a let down if it falls through now because I'm already over the moon

I'm not someone else.
dauster88
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:02 pm
WE are so close to being selected to adopt this ~2 y/o female Rott. We visited with her on Saturday and she curled right up to us and within a minute was on her back for belly rubs. We didn't think we had a shot because this particular rescue org doesn't like Invisible fences but they called this morning and said they were finishing up our reference checks. It's going to be such a let down if it falls through now because I'm already over the moon

She's a beaut, wishing the best for y'all.

My ~1 y/o Rottie boy, Hank with our Yorkie:

GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm

/\/\ Hank looks like a great dog!

I picked up the little one on Saturday. I'm madly in love with her already. It's clear she was severely abused in the past but we're going to make all those bad memories go away.

I'm not someone else.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm

We officially welcomed Sadie into our family on Saturday. She's about 1.5 y/o, about 60 lbs, and was previously severely neglected and abused. She already had a litter of 10 puppies, all of which froze to death and died. None of that has had an impact on her happy, lovey attitude. We are all so in love. Even Boomer, who has trust issues with dogs, has a pretty big soft spot for her already. They snuggled together when they laid down for their afternoon nap yesterday. Boomer would get highly upset if our previous female dog even brushed up against him on accident so seeing him being sweet with her brought some big smiles.

I'm not someone else.
meskell
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Here are our two pandemic rescues via Mexico, Lilo (miniature schnauzer) and Lono (rescue adoption guessed airedoodle but it's anybody's guess). We've had Lono for a year next month and Lilo joined her brother a month ago.

Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:57 pm

We got another Boston. She’s just a belly with four legs & a head right now