Anyone here breed French Bulldogs?

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri May 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks. They’re the best!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
fredo
Art God

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:07 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56196226

500G to whichever of you stole ‘em.
#givemback
just a foil for me today, thanks
bayharborbutcher
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 pm

Been a while since on here, glad to see all the new additions, always brings a smile.

14+ years is an insanely fortunate amount of time to spend with such a great dog. We were so lucky to have you

henry767
New User

Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:43 pm

DickButt wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 pm
Long overdue post and I'll try not to make it too long but no promises...

A few days later, I got a call from a good friend of mine who works for a bulldog rescue. They were one of a few organizations that were contacted by the animal shelter to help place all the dogs in foster homes while the legal system did their thing (technically these dogs were evidence and still owned by the people who were charged). Most of these dogs were under 8 weeks old, and much too young to be away from their mothers.

My wife and I discussed it, weighed the pros and cons, and pretty quickly decided that we would foster one of the Frenchies that my friend had specifically marked for me as he knew our situation with Dexter being an old man with great disposition.

So in late August, we brought home #23

In early October, the accused skipped their court date, and authorities began the process of gaining custody of the puppies. (http://garfield.dailyvoice.com/police-f ... es/723252/)

For over a month it was pretty quiet. We were all waiting to see what happened, hoping that the courts wouldn't be so stupid that they would somehow give custody of the dogs back to the people who had been charged.

Then, in November, 2 of the 3 were convicted and pled down to fines of $500. Think about that - animal cruelty charges against 26 puppies costs less than most artwork you own. Part of the plea deal was that all the dogs be placed permanently in their foster homes to prevent them from going through any additional stress.
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2017 ... _alle.html

An already long story short, #23 is now with us forever. 6-month-old Luke (2 weeks after we named him we realized Jordan would've been perfect) has been great for Dexter. Dex had never lost his spirit, despite a really tough year, but having a puppy in the house has been really good for him. Of course, there's still plenty of times (daily) where we need to separate them because Luke doesn't know that Dexter can't keep up, and that his back and legs can't handle being jumped on, etc., but that's just normal puppy play. Dexter initiates playtime at least once a day, and it's great to see a 10-year-old with cancer still act as young as he feels in his mind. It really brings a smile to my face.

But it hasn't been all great. Luke is a completely different dog than Dexter was at his age. He eats his fudge almost every night :x. We can't break him of this and have reluctantly admitted that we probably never will. Some dogs just do that and no powder or spray or pineapple will stop them ... He smells eeeeeverything when we go for walks and is only outside strictly for business. 1 pee, 1 poop, ready to go back in. There was a long period of time where he was trying to eat everything outside as well. So his walks need work, and winter is a terrible time to try and do that ... He's much more work than Dexter ever was. He's a real dog. We were so spoiled by how insanely easy Dexter is. Luke is a full-time puppy. So we take the bad with good, because there's so much good. He's very attentive despite his stubbornness, and he loves to snuggle (which Dexter does not). He'll curl up into you for hours on the couch and you forget all about how terrible he was that day :lol:.

Also, before anyone asks - no, he's not 100% French Bulldog. Merle coats are not in Frenchie genes so he definitely has something else in his bloodline. The list of possibilities is short and we think it's American Bulldog based on his size (he's 6 months old and already as long as Dexter).

So that's that. We now have Luke and Dexter. Funny how life really just changes without you expecting it.
Caring Frenchies is the real job. They have many issues, me and my wife take a lot of care.
One more thing they are not easy to train breed.