Let's talk Science

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
swabie2424
Art Expert

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 am

Not sure how many people here are interested in the sciences, but I am despite not being in the field. Just thought others might want to chat about new scientific developments.

I'll lead with a biggie. The news about the confirmation of the Higgs boson is unreal. CERN has been a smashing success (pun intended). This has to be Nobel worthy and should change the universe we live in.

http://news.yahoo.com/closer-look-higgs ... 27722.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
soam24
Art Freak

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

what would this atom smasher do it normal terms
rmoore
Art Expert

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am

I find it amusing how the "god particle" got it's name (rather than the originally proposed "goddamn particle" due to it's elusiveness):

Higgs does not hold a religious faith but notes that many scientists in his field do, and argues that belief and science can co-exist. He is displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle", as he believes the term "might offend people who are religious". Usually this nickname for the Higgs boson is attributed to Leon Lederman, the author of the book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?, but the name is the result of the insistence of Lederman's publisher: Lederman had originally intended to refer to it as the "goddamn particle". — Wikipedia
fredo
Art God

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

Not sure they confirmed what they've found yet at CERN, but I like science. I am a sciencer by trade!
just a foil for me today, thanks
drummer7795
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 pm

let's all ponder our universal worthlessness!

carl sagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk
FKozik wrote:see you in hell.
mistersmith wrote:If you didn't want Horkey to tear you up you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.
skis007
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 pm

drummer7795 wrote:let's all ponder our universal worthlessness!

carl sagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk
Please, don't turn this into reddit.
LaurelVP
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I was excited to hear the news about the Higgs Boson, but the twitter reactions at the end of this article made me a bit sad.

wneff
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 pm

I am sciencey
toyroom
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Totally fascinating.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/14/3 ... found.html

Someone needs to make a print of this.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 pm

I mean, finding that particle is cool and all, but I have to ask: what for. With so much crap in the world not going right, I wonder why it's so important to figure this out right now.

I would rather these super-geniuses applied their talents to cheap energy, water cleanliness, eradication and/or treatment of disease, etc. Science is rad, but apply that fudge. The specifics of a subatomic particle just seems like the kinds of thing that can wait until after Utopia.

Still: it's impressive.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 pm

mistersmith wrote: I would rather these super-geniuses applied their talents to cheap energy, water cleanliness, eradication and/or treatment of disease, etc. Science is rad, but apply that fudge. The specifics of a subatomic particle just seems like the kinds of thing that can wait until after Utopia.

I would argue that a deeper understanding of physics is fundamental to getting cheap energy. Scientists don't apply anyways, that's what engineers are for ...
T.H.C.
LaurelVP
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
mistersmith wrote: I would rather these super-geniuses applied their talents to cheap energy, water cleanliness, eradication and/or treatment of disease, etc. Science is rad, but apply that fudge. The specifics of a subatomic particle just seems like the kinds of thing that can wait until after Utopia.

I would argue that a deeper understanding of physics is fundamental to getting cheap energy. Scientists don't apply anyways, that's what engineers are for ...
I'd also argue that many of those issues persist more or less because of politics.
drummer7795
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Exactly. Treating diseases keeps the pharmaceutical giants rich. Why cure anything.
FKozik wrote:see you in hell.
mistersmith wrote:If you didn't want Horkey to tear you up you shouldn't have worn that short skirt.
bhutanpro
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

mistersmith wrote:I mean, finding that particle is cool and all, but I have to ask: what for. With so much crap in the world not going right, I wonder why it's so important to figure this out right now.

I would rather these super-geniuses applied their talents to cheap energy, water cleanliness, eradication and/or treatment of disease, etc. Science is rad, but apply that fudge. The specifics of a subatomic particle just seems like the kinds of thing that can wait until after Utopia.

These aren't the only smart people in the world. Other smarty pants are working on your stuff that's important to you. :wink:
4Eyes
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:01 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:

We're learning how particles gain mass - amazing! Who knows what the future applications of this discovery is. It may very will be instrumental in solving the very issues you raised.
That's what's so exciting (and potentially frightening) and why this research is done.