World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:42 am

I've been hoping to score anything by New Riff, but it hasn't popped up in my neck of the woods yet. I'll give a few recommendations though. I got a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon, after hearing some recommendations on Reddit, and it was excellent. Old Exra 7 is also great. And, for a cheaper whiskey, I've been happy with a bottle of Old Tub.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:33 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:53 pm
New Riff is popular by me as well. Never even seen it on a shelf. May have to pick up a bottle if I see one now. Thanks for the recommendation.
I went with the Single Barrel.... two thumbs up!
What's the proof on the SiB?
mtarail wrote:
I've been hoping to score anything by New Riff, but it hasn't popped up in my neck of the woods yet. I'll give a few recommendations though. I got a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon, after hearing some recommendations on Reddit, and it was excellent. Old Exra 7 is also great. And, for a cheaper whiskey, I've been happy with a bottle of Old Tub.
Old Tub I didn't think was bad but not great either. For $20 a bottle it's hard to argue with but some people got hints of peanut butter/brittle which I did not get at all.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:53 pm
New Riff is popular by me as well. Never even seen it on a shelf. May have to pick up a bottle if I see one now. Thanks for the recommendation.
I went with the Single Barrel.... two thumbs up!
What's the proof on the SiB?
mtarail wrote:
Old Tub I didn't think was bad but not great either. For $20 a bottle it's hard to argue with but some people got hints of peanut butter/brittle which I did not get at all.
Hundo
mtarail
Art Expert

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 am

Irishman12 wrote:
mtarail wrote:
And, for a cheaper whiskey, I've been happy with a bottle of Old Tub.
I wouldn't say it's great. But to me, it's enjoyable. As for the peanut/peanut brittle flavor, the first time I drank it I didn't taste it at all. The second time I tasted it, it was like "how did I miss this earlier?" It's young, and it's not complex, but at 100 proof and unfiltered, it brings in some nice flavors. If I had to pick one bottle between this and Wild Turkey 101, the Turkey would be an easy pick. But I could definitely see picking up a bottle or two of this every year.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:43 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:42 pm
Since my store doesn't carry the allocated bottles anymore, I've come to an almost complete stop on whiskey buying. My wallet's thanking me, but it's frustrating seeing people score Stagg Jr.'s and whatnot in my local Facebook group because their store on the other end of town is still selling the allocated. Tomorrow I am grabbing a store pick of an Elijah Craig Single Barrel, which will be my first time trying it and then on Friday my local Facebook group is dropping a barrel selection of their own for Sagamore Rye (110 Proof), which I've never tried Sagamore either. With this time of the year, I've switched to stocking up on Sam Adams Winter Lager and the "Holiday White Ale" (formerly the White Christmas Ale, which is my second favorite variety they offer after the Cherry Wheat).

Also, I've seen some 1972 Sweet Wheat and 12 year drop recently. I've had the Sweet Wheat, which I liked. Has anyone had the 12 year?
I've had a pour of the 12-year. I don't remember it being anything spectacular. But you should for sure grab one (assuming retail price of $50ish). You'll be able to trade it for close to double retail.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:12 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:43 am
Irishman12 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:42 pm
Since my store doesn't carry the allocated bottles anymore, I've come to an almost complete stop on whiskey buying. My wallet's thanking me, but it's frustrating seeing people score Stagg Jr.'s and whatnot in my local Facebook group because their store on the other end of town is still selling the allocated. Tomorrow I am grabbing a store pick of an Elijah Craig Single Barrel, which will be my first time trying it and then on Friday my local Facebook group is dropping a barrel selection of their own for Sagamore Rye (110 Proof), which I've never tried Sagamore either. With this time of the year, I've switched to stocking up on Sam Adams Winter Lager and the "Holiday White Ale" (formerly the White Christmas Ale, which is my second favorite variety they offer after the Cherry Wheat).

Also, I've seen some 1972 Sweet Wheat and 12 year drop recently. I've had the Sweet Wheat, which I liked. Has anyone had the 12 year?
I've had a pour of the 12-year. I don't remember it being anything spectacular. But you should for sure grab one (assuming retail price of $50ish). You'll be able to trade it for close to double retail.
Thanks. That's what people are selling the Sweet Wheat for in my area: $100+ :shock:
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:45 am

Was at a friend’s house today and tried an Elijah Craig Single Barrel (no clue as to further details). Very nice, indeed. Only really tried it because I saw it mentioned here; then went back to my beer.

Still no luck on that Alberta Premium Cask Strength. Pretty sure I will not find one.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:15 pm

I tried my EC SiB yesterday as well and enjoyed it. I also tried Sagamore Rye for the first time yesterday but wasn't a fan of that.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:30 pm

Since my liquor store stopped carrying the allocated bottles, my purchasing has drastically slowed down. However, while out for lunch today I stopped by a Mom & Pop shop and asked if they had either a 1792 Sweat Wheat, Stagg Jr., or Taylor Barrel Proof. He said no to all but said he had some Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered then went back and said he had a Stagg Jr. He charged secondary prices, and it hurt to pay it, but I was curious enough to try it. At 130.2 proof, I'm surprised I like it as much as I do as I typically don't like anything over 115. This didn't have as much spice/heat as I was expecting. But then again, I shouldn't have been too surprised as it's Buffalo Trace and they've never done me wrong.

Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am

liquor rationing here - you dudes better stock up

:drool:

:lol:
kcn0
Art Expert

Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Not bad for the last two days... I haven’t had b-day bourbon for a while.
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:00 pm

WOW! Great grabs. Never had any of them because they are extremely hard to come by around me (and I will not pay secondary prices for what they're asking). Let us know how you like them when you open them. You got them at retail?
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:57 pm

kcn0 wrote:
Missed out in the PA lottery for all of these... congrats!
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:03 pm

kcn0 wrote:
Daaaaaaamn.... :drool:
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.