World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks for the link jjbehren, but they don't ship to my state unfortunately. My local spot has the SB but not a store pick. Have you had the Barrel Proof? I haven't seen one in the wild yet but I know they're popular around me too.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 pm
Thanks for the link jjbehren, but they don't ship to my state unfortunately. My local spot has the SB but not a store pick. Have you had the Barrel Proof? I haven't seen one in the wild yet but I know they're popular around me too.
Yes. I love the Barrel Proof. One of the best deals in bourbon. 12-year age-stated and high proof. The B520 batch this year is amazing.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:59 pm

I missed out on a bottle of batch C919 a few months back that I could have got my hands on. I’m still kicking myself.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Bryman wrote:
I missed out on a bottle of batch C919 a few months back that I could have got my hands on. I’m still kicking myself.
That stuff sits on shelves here in many places. Not much else does, but ECBP for some reason is pretty available in the Twin Cities.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Bryman wrote:
That stuff sits on shelves here in many places. Not much else does, but ECBP for some reason is pretty available in the Twin Cities.
I haven't seen it by me but know it's quite popular in my area.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:23 pm

jjbehren wrote:

Wow. Lucky break.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:31 am

Yeah ECBP isnt too hard to get in my area either
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:40 pm

California sucks. Everything is hard to find and marked up %40. I can’t wait to get outta here.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 pm

The family grew by 1 today and I got LUCKY! Random drop on a store's barrels pick (total of 8 different barrels). Limit was 2 bottles per person and was able to score them before they sold out. Tried it and it was good but quite a bit of spice (not surprising from 114.5% proof). New rankings: Straight, UU, PB, SB

Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:59 pm

I like spice. Send the second one my way lol. Great finds. I’m beginning to think you’re a plant from ‘Big Whiskey’ lol. You seem to have amazing luck. Cheers man, enjoy! :cheers:
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:59 am

Irishman12 wrote:
The family grew by 1 today and I got LUCKY! Random drop on a store's barrels pick (total of 8 different barrels). Limit was 2 bottles per person and was able to score them before they sold out. Tried it and it was good but quite a bit of spice (not surprising from 114.5% proof). New rankings: Straight, UU, PB, SB
You can't judge a bottle by the neck-pour. Give it 10-14 days and come back. It'll be different, and most likely a lot better.

That being said, I've had a lot of these older MGP high-proof bourbons and they can be real hit-and-miss. Are both your bottles from the same barrel? If not, you should crack open the other one. You might get a very different profile.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Bryman wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:59 pm
I like spice. Send the second one my way lol. Great finds. I’m beginning to think you’re a plant from ‘Big Whiskey’ lol. You seem to have amazing luck. Cheers man, enjoy! :cheers:
Honestly, I strike out more times than not. This I got lucky because I saw on the distilleries Instagram page a guy posted a photo with 4 bottles (he got his friend to come along so they could each get 2 and he went home with all 4). In the photo he said they dropped in my state, I asked which city and told him where I was and they were 20-30 minutes away. They dropped around 11am/noon, had a table full, and by 3pm there were maybe 20 bottles left. Yesterday was PURE luck! Gave a huge shoutout to the guy who pointed me in the right direction.

Also found out while I was there that this store has the Silver Dollar American Vodka so now I don't need to order those online anymore and can save myself some shipping. The 2 bottles I ordered last week came in today as well.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:50 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:59 am
Irishman12 wrote:
You can't judge a bottle by the neck-pour. Give it 10-14 days and come back. It'll be different, and most likely a lot better.

That being said, I've had a lot of these older MGP high-proof bourbons and they can be real hit-and-miss. Are both your bottles from the same barrel? If not, you should crack open the other one. You might get a very different profile.
Why is that with bourbon? If you don't like it at first, I've heard to let it breath or give it a few days and it'll taste better? That happened to me with the Henry McKenna Bib. Tried it, wasn't overly impressed, and put it in the back of my cabinet. Came back to it recently (after months of sitting there) and I enjoyed it a lot more! Either my palate's advancing or it got better somehow?

These were from the same barrel unfortunately. I didn't realize until after I got back home with them they had 8 different barrels. But before I made the trip up, I called the store to confirm they had some and a worker even put 2 on hold for me. I got what he grabbed for me. Curious what the other barrels would have tasted like, but I'm not going to complain. Just glad I was able to get 2 to try!
fredo
Art God

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 pm

Similar to wine, if you expose the juice to air and let it oxidize a bit you'll often get a softer expression from an otherwise tight/strong/dense profile. By the same token a bottle that is less than about half full will start to lose character with a quickness. As the man once said, 'when you're down to a third - invite a friend over.'
just a foil for me today, thanks