World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed May 19, 2021 6:57 pm

This is a popular bottle by me and somewhat hard to find. Found a store that had it and decided to give it a shot. A good but not great pour. Not overly priced at $45, but wasn't wowed after the first taste either. Will go back to it to see if it picks up any.

Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 21, 2021 3:48 am

morecoffee wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:41 am
Bryman wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:25 pm
More than I’d like, but the cheapest I’ve found it for in California.
$200 in New Jersey. That's the lowest I've ever found it.
It seems non-existent in my area, too.

Yep. Sounds about right. Definitely not worth spending that kind of cash on it more than once, but if it’s on your bucket list like it was on mine and that’s what’s available to you then it is what it is. Still haven’t even cracked mine yet. Let us know what you think when you do.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Trying this for the first time as well and I enjoyed it. Didn't love it but enjoyed it more than the Bowman SiB. However, this was a store pick from Total Wine so I am curious how much that factored in to it compared to the regular swill?

Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 22, 2021 2:12 pm

I’ve been through a few bottles of both the RR single barrel and the Total Wine & More barrel select and I came to the conclusion that they’re so similar it’s not worth the extra $8. I just stick with the regular single barrel.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat May 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Never had it before but that's disappointing to hear.

4 Roses Total Wine pick 🌹 First OBSF I’ve had and I like it, but I still prefer the OESV.

ketstroxan
Art Expert

Sat May 22, 2021 9:21 pm

Struck out on an ISO today but still managed to find this on the shelf. Needed some KC so i couldn't pass it up. Drinks easy for 120 proof.
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon May 24, 2021 9:23 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Trying this for the first time as well and I enjoyed it. Didn't love it but enjoyed it more than the Bowman SiB. However, this was a store pick from Total Wine so I am curious how much that factored in to it compared to the regular swill?
Russel's private selections can vary wildly. Don't let the TW bottle form your opinion. Find a smaller shop with an owner that really loves bourbon. Chat with him/her about their selection. Often times they'll try to go as off-profile as they can, which makes things really fun and different.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 24, 2021 12:20 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:
Russel's private selections can vary wildly. Don't let the TW bottle form your opinion. Find a smaller shop with an owner that really loves bourbon. Chat with him/her about their selection. Often times they'll try to go as off-profile as they can, which makes things really fun and different.
Big fan of Russell's reserve SiB and really any turkey over here. One of my favorite barrel selections was a total wine barrel. just under 10 years, Warehouse F. so delicious. I think i bought 4 bottles before the well ran dry. So while small shops can definitely have great picks, especially if you have similar taste to the owner/picker. don't turn your nose up at Total Wine (insert large liquor chain here) picks either.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Just got back from a weekend trip to Kentucky. Got to select a barrel from Buffalo Trace and two barrels from Wilderness Trail for our bourbon society. Both were amazing experiences. Also managed to score an Old Fitz 16 and EC18 from the Heaven Hill distillery and half a bottle of William Larue for a steal from a bar in Louisville.
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
fredo
Art God

Mon May 24, 2021 7:36 pm

You can buy half bottles from bars in KY? Or did you steal it? Either way, I approve.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2021 8:13 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:
It's funny you mentioned that. I actually did try Russell's for the first time at a Mom & Pop shop months back and really enjoyed it. Didn't pick a bottle up then, but when I was ready to here recently, a friend said they were all out. Thinking back on it, I think I preferred that pick over the Total Wine. Oh well, live and learn.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2021 8:14 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Just got back from a weekend trip to Kentucky. Got to select a barrel from Buffalo Trace and two barrels from Wilderness Trail for our bourbon society. Both were amazing experiences. Also managed to score an Old Fitz 16 and EC18 from the Heaven Hill distillery and half a bottle of William Larue for a steal from a bar in Louisville.
Sounds awesome and great gets! I've gotta make the trip up there one of these days.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Tue May 25, 2021 1:01 pm

fredo wrote:
You can buy half bottles from bars in KY? Or did you steal it? Either way, I approve.
Apparently. They had it by the pour for a really good price so I figured I just ask how much for the rest of the bottle. They told me $300 so I said bag it up and they did.
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
fredo
Art God

Tue May 25, 2021 5:45 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:01 pm
fredo wrote:
Apparently. They had it by the pour for a really good price so I figured I just ask how much for the rest of the bottle. They told me $300 so I said bag it up and they did.
Fantastic.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri May 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Newest addition: Tumblin Dice group pick. Just missing Ironman now :P