World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm

So I love me some beer, but lately I've been trying to expand my whiskey pallet. My go-to in bars as always been a jack & coke, or a whiskey ginger (usually bottom shelf), but I've been trying to drink my whiskey straight up on the rocks. I started with Jack, and then moved to Jameson for a while, but last night at the liquor store I decided to try Russel's Reserve. It was delicious, so I come to you all asking for other whiskey suggestions. I'd also like to know what to look for when drinking whiskey (flavors, body, etc). Keep in mind my income is limited so I can't spend a ton, but I'm definitely interested to hear suggestions to try.

And since my new job doesn't start until Monday, here's to my new whiskey knowledge :pours some Russels:
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 pm

I love a good single malt...although what's good depends on who you are. I love my Islays, but a number of my friends hate them for the big and boisterous nature.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Bourbon. The only whiskey for me. Brownest of the brown, how I love thee.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm

When i was getting into my Whisky my wife bought me home a bottle of Sheep Dip , at first I was annoyed at her thinking she had bought one of those faux novelty "Kats Pizz" wine type things , ...but it was bloody lovely.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm

alittle wrote:I love a good single malt...although what's good depends on who you are. I love my Islays, but a number of my friends hate them for the big and boisterous nature.

Im an Islay man too... :clap:
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm

If you live anywhere near Los Angeles, go to The Daily Pint in Santa Monica. They have very kind of whiskey you could imagine an a ton of beer.
Gryph
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Islay Scotch is the best of all whisky. Dark and smoky with an expressive palette of flavors. Peaty, rich and gorgeous.

They take some getting used to and the true joy of Islay is in the above $25 dollar range.

Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Ardbeg
Bowmore

If we want instead to stay American the following Bourbons are good bets,

Elijah Craig [12 Year]
Woodford Reserve
Hudson Baby Bourbon

And for variety,

Few White Whiskey
mr_rugby wrote: You are not allowed to to type on this forum Gryph, just GIFs.
john38103
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Knappogue Castle is my favorite. Irish whiskey. Good value. Smooth and clean. Makes the world a nicer place.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

To the OP , look up the diffrences between lowland , highland and Islay malts.

When i felt the need to educate myself 25 years ago we bought a random bottle every month and i used a book written by Micheal Jackson (no , not that one!) that taught you what you tasting , its heritage , taste values etc.

It may seem a bit silly reading it from a book , but with so many whiskys out there to taste its difficult to learn to appreciate the subtle tones of something if you dont understand the first thing about it.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Gryph wrote:
Laphroaig
Lagavulin

Bowmore
Three of my favorites right there!
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 pm

I would also see if you have any local whiskey bars. They often run structured tastings to teach you about the differences.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Pronounced

Laphroaig....laf-roy-guh

Lagavulin ...lang-a-voo-lin
aibohphobia
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Jesusmalverde wrote:If you live anywhere near Los Angeles, go to The Daily Pint in Santa Monica. They have very kind of whiskey you could imagine an a ton of beer.
I second that. I go there sometimes and they have some fine aged stuff!
Image _ Image
poopsicle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Fattyramone wrote:To the OP , look up the diffrences between lowland , highland and Islay malts.

When i felt the need to educate myself 25 years ago we bought a random bottle every month and i used a book written by Micheal Jackson (no , not that one!) that taught you what you tasting , its heritage , taste values etc.

It may seem a bit silly reading it from a book , but with so many whiskys out there to taste its difficult to learn to appreciate the subtle tones of something if you dont understand the first thing about it.
Yea I actually took that approach with coffees, I learned the different kinds, learned to identify tastes. I figured if I'm gonna be drinking this stuff everyday, I may as well enjoy it and be able to identify what I'm drinking.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm

alittle wrote:I would also see if you have any local whiskey bars. They often run structured tastings to teach you about the differences.
Good idea, hadn't even thought of that. Denver is ga-ga for beer (as it should be) and infused vodkas, but I'll have to see about whiskey bars. Sounds like a good time.